Each year we spend millions of dollars on scented candles for our homes. It seems we are drawn to their tranquility, as there is something highly comforting about the soft glow of a flickering candle. Their aromatic scent is soothing to the mind and body, as well. Why not use those candles as part of your home décor by learning different ways to decorate with candles. Here we'll review how to decorate with candles in virtually every room of the house. Candles can be used to create a romantic bedroom, a spa-like bathroom, or as purely decorative purposes throughout the home.
A word about candles - When we discuss the different ways to decorate with candles, we will be mentioning the various types of candles that can be used. So, let's very quickly define each type.
Pillars - Pillar candles are wide, thick, candles that can stand alone without support or can be used in holders.
Votives - Votive candles are a short, smaller version of a pillar candle. They can stand alone without support, or be used in holders.
Tea lights - Tea lights are very short (usually around 1") and are designed to fit inside a holder. Some tea lights come in small metal or glass containers, which can be removed.
Floating - Floating candles are small, flat, candles that fit in the palm of your hand. They are designed to float (and burn) in water.
Jar -Jar candles are self contained, and can be burned as is. They are heat resistant and come in various heights and widths.
Tapers - Taper candles are the slender candles that people usually place on the dining room table. They are wider at the base than at the tip, and not self-supporting. They must be held in a container.
Decorating with candles in the bedroom
Turn your bedroom in a tranquil, romantic getaway with these different ways to decorate with candles.
- Create a candle garden using a combination of pillar, taper, and votive candles.
- Install candle wall sconces on either side of the bed and illuminate them with scented candles.
- Use candle lamps to add warmth and create a soft glow.
- Place a mirror on the floor against a wall, and arrange pillar candles on a flat surface in front of the mirror.
- Place candles on china teacups for a feminine touch.
- House several candles in a clean, hanging antique birdcage.
Decorating with candles in the bathroom
By using candles in the bathroom, you can create a relaxing spa-like atmosphere. Use them as a light source, or as a purely decorative feature in the following ways.
- Place jar or pillar candles around the edge of the tub.
- Add floating candles to the bath for a romantic effect.
- Place a shallow dish of water on the counter, and light floating candles to promote relaxation.
- Arrange taper candles in crystal candlesticks in front of the bathroom mirror to create a sparkling glow.
- Set a standing candle holder in the corner of the room.
Decorating with candles in the dining room
Bring some excitement back to dinner by using candles in the following ways.
- Install a candle chandelier above the dining room to add rustic charm.
- Set out a candelabra at dinnertime and enjoy a candlelit meal with the family.
- Arrange several clear glasses in the middle of the table and fill them with water. Add floating candles to each glass.
- Use a tiered cake plate as a place decorate with candles anywhere in the room.
Decorating with candles in the living room
Kick back and relax after a long day by finding new ways to decorate with candles in the living room.
- Add interest to a coffee table with a small grouping of pillar candles.
- Fill a dish with decorative marbles and insert a pillar candle in between.
- Have an non-functioning fireplace? Clean out the hearth and add a display of pillar candles.
- Decorate the fireplace mantel with candles that vary in height.
- Turn off the lights and save energy by decorating with candles.
More ways to decorate with candles....
- Get crafty with the candles you use by learning how to customize and decorate them!
- When using floating candles, choose a design and shape that matches your home décor.
- Make homemade luminaries for holidays and special occasions.
- Use pinecone shaped candles for holidays or for fall or winter seasons.
- Select floral shaped candles for spring or summer.
- Use beads, candy, marbles, rock, sand, and other materials as filler when placing pillar candles in containers.
Remember, safety comes first! Keep candles away from anything they may catch fire, and never use a candle unattended. Only use candles on a flat surface, and do not use them around children or pets.
More from Jennifer Wagner:Romantic Bedroom Decorating Ideas Interior Decorating Tips for Budget Living
Personal knowledge and experience