Kids can find all kinds of things bully-worthy about their peers; clothing, nationality, sexuality or even hobbies. While you can teach your own child principals and morals that do not involve bullying others, it's hard to prevent others from bullying your child.
Fortunately, there are ways to deal with a bully in your child's life. If your child is dealing with a bully, below are tips from Bullying Expert Dr. Dorothy Espelage:
What you can do:
• Insist on a bully prevention plan or safety plan for your child
• Call parents of bullies or bully group and arrange a meeting, if you can
• Get your child involved in other activities to build confidence
• If you have the means, get your child in therapy
What your child can do:
• Get off of Formspring and other social networks
• Tell, tell, tell! Talk to parents, and your support network
• Keep record of all bully incidents
• Manage your anger
• Reach out to other kids in your school that are being bullied
• Do not let the bullies know that they got to you
Comment below with your own suggestions, tips, advice and real-life stories about how you have curbed bullying in your child's life.
MORE FROM ANDERSON