LipstickTackle the toughest date-night stain-makers with these GHRI removal tips.
1. Lipstick: Place the soiled fabric facedown on a paper towel. With a wet makeup-remover wipe, dab the back of the stain. Spritz the spot with prewash spray, then launder.
2. Grease: Odd, but it works: Sponge the stain with a product that removes tape residue (like Goo Gone), or use grease-cutting dish liquid; wash in warm water.
3. Chocolate: Use a spoon to scrape off as much as you can. When at home, apply liquid laundry detergent and massage in with your fingers; let set five minutes. Wash with chlorine or all-fabric bleach.
Red Wine4. Red Wine: Grab some paper towels or absorbent cloths and blot up as much of the liquid as you can, or soak for about 30 minutes in a basin of cool water as soon as possible. Treat the stain with a prewash stain remover and launder. If it's safe for the fabric, add chlorine bleach to the wash.
5. Coffee: Dab a little water on the stain, or soak the item for about 30 minutes in cool water. When you get home, pretreat with a prewash stain remover, and then launder. You may add chlorine bleach to the wash if it's safe for the fabric.
6. Salad Dressing: Sprinkle the stain immediately with baby powder, cornstarch, or packets of artificial sweetener to absorb the oil, which will lift most of the stain. Treat any blot that's left with a prewash spray, or rub liquid laundry detergent into the spot. Launder in the hottest water appropriate for the fabric (read the care label). Before you put clothing into the dryer, check to see if the stain has disappeared and retreat if necessary.
Related: 52 No-Fail Home Organizing Tricks
Champagne7. Champagne: Sponge the spot with cool water or soak for about 30 minutes in a basin of cool water. Then, treat the stain with a prewash stain remover andallow it to set. Launder the garment, and if it's safe for the fabric, use a chlorine bleach.
8. Spaghetti Sauce: As soon as possible, flush with cool water working from the back of the stain. Pretreat with a liquid laundry detergent; tamp the stain and let stand for several minutes, rinsing well afterward. Next, sponge with white vinegar and rinse again. Repeat this process until you have removed as much stain as possible. Pretreat with a prewash stain remover and launder. If the stain remains, rub with a liquid laundry detergent, and then soak in warm water for up to 30 minutes. Launder again with fabric-appropriate bleach, if necessary.
9. Popcorn Butter: Scrape off excess butter right away. When you get home, pretreat with a prewash stain remover. After it has set, launder, using the hottest water safe for the fabric.
10. Soft Drink: Sponge the spot with cool water or soak for about 30 minutes in a basin of cool water when you get home. Then pretreat with a prewash stain remover. After the stain remover sets, launder and if it's safe for the fabric, add chlorine bleach to the wash.
More from Good Housekeeping: