By Seija Rankin, Refinery29
.We all have those friends. You know, the ones that seem to have it magically all together, all the time. They're constantly dressed to the nines, with nary a hair out of place, and never have to scamper to catch a train. Nowhere is a person's togetherness more evident than the second you set foot in his or her apartment. Upon entering, the sheer beauty of the place takes your breath away. There are no clothes strewn across the floor. There is actually a hook to hang your jacket. The focal point of the room isn't a tie-dye, Grateful Dead poster. When you see this heavenly space, you just know: You've entered an adult's apartment.
RELATED: The Nate Berkus x Target Fall '13 Collection
For some of us, an abode of this magnitude is an everyday occurrence, but for others it's as elusive as the cronut. So, to make sure you always recognize this bastion of maturity, we're bringing you the vital signs you need to make sure your digs match the amazing, thoroughly grown-up achievements of your daily life. If these 16 signs sound familiar, then congrats: You've made it.
.1. Your couch is a Couch, with a capital "C", not a futon.
2. You actually have a fruit bowl. But if your fruit is merely decorative, and not edible, your apartment might be too adult.
3. Power cords are neatly tucked away, and aren't slithering around your apartment like a pile of angry snakes.
4. All plants are actually alive (and legal).
5. Rugs - you've got 'em...and they've got slip-mats so you aren't reenacting Three Stooges sketches all the time.
RELATED: Jonathan Adler's Magical HQ
.6. Your ramen collection is not to exceed three packages at any given time.
7. Soap is handled properly, in a dish or a decorative bottle. Actual bars aren't drowning in their own soapy filth, either.
8. Your kitchen is stocked with more than one pot. And, they have lids. Real, live matching lids.
9. Your windows are covered properly - and not by a tie-dye tapestry.
10. All art is framed, and attached to the wall with nails, not putty.
11. You can get off on both sides of the bed. (Note: If you are living in NYC and can't afford a room bigger than your mattress, we feel your pain and you are exempt.)
12. And, said bed is not just a mattress on the floor.
.13. Your booze is stored properly in a bar area or rack. Subsequently, you don't store your empties on top of the fridge or cabinets.
14. A Malm is nowhere to be seen. Sorry, Ikea-fans, but the Malms have got to go.
15. Laundry baskets aren't made out of nylon sacks, and are used for dirty clothes, not random storage.
16. Your glassware isn't stolen from your neighborhood sports bar. In fact, it might even be matching. (Gasp!)
More from Refinery29:
19 Accessories Every Kitchen Needs
5 Pro Tips to Make Over Your Closet
The Simplest Dinner Recipe Ever
4 Warning Signs You're Dating a Jerk
By Seija Rankin, Refinery29