Photo: J Muckle/Studio DBy Elaine Griffin
1. Stretch Your SnapshotsFor a piece of art worthy of your wall, snap a pic with the smartphone app Instagram. Then use Instacanvas, a service that prints your photo on stretched canvas and delivers it to your door.
RELATED: The Mind Map: 6 Steps to Get Your Creativity Flowing
2. Wall Paper Your FurnitureA vibrant pattern, from sites like DesignYourWall.com, can breathe new life into an aging cabinet or plain end table.
- Lightly sand the surface. (For cabinet doors, unhinge them and remove knobs.) Apply two coats of an oil-based primer, waiting an hour between coats.
- Cut wallpaper to size using a straightedge blade. Paint on a thin layer of Mod Podge and apply the wallpaper, flattening any air bubbles. Wait 24 hours before applying a coat of acrylic sealant.
RELATED: Dorm Design: From Dreary to Dreamy
3. Stencil a WallPainting a pattern requires patience, but the result can change the whole room. Consider Cutting Edge Stencils for all-in-one shopping.
- Wipe down the wall with a damp cloth (to make sure it's dust-free), and apply painter's tape to the adjoining walls, trim, and ceiling.
- Using a 36-inch level, line up your stencil. Starting at the wall's center, affix the pattern with painter's tape.
- Pour paint onto a paper plate. Dip the paint roller, and run it over the stencil.
- Remove the stencil and repeat across the wall. Use a stencil brush to fill in any details, if necessary.
More from Oprah.com:
• Find the Perfect To-Go Breakfast for You
• The Best Jeans for Every Body Type
• Dr. Oz's 7 Secrets to Staying Cold-Free
• 4 Steps to Conceal Undereye Circles
• Subscribe to O, The Oprah Magazine and save up to 78%
Like O, The Oprah Magazine on Facebook