By Louis DeNicola, Cheapism.com
Plan ahead for the biggest shopping day of the year!Each year Black Friday store hours start earlier and earlier, and this year is no different. The creep has even spread to the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day. No matter the opening time, plan to arrive early to ensure you get the best Black Friday deals. For some retailers and some items, this means getting in line at least two hours prior to the doors opening or the beginning of a sales event.
Following is a roundup of Black Friday store hours for the major chains to help you map out your shopping plan.
Thanksgiving Day (November 28, 2013) This year Black Friday shopping might rightly be called something else -- Grey Thursday, perhaps? -- as some retailers invite shoppers to spend all night filling their baskets. Here's a sample of opening hours on Thanksgiving Day:
- Kmart -- Open through 11pm on Nov. 29
- Old Navy -- Closed from 4pm until 7pm
- Gap, Inc -- Closed from 4pm until 7pm
- Toys R Us -- Doorbuster deals available 5pm-9pm; again at 5am on Black Friday
- Best Buy -- Open through 10pm on Nov. 29; deal tickets handed out two hours prior; doorbuster deals available midnight and again at 10am on Nov. 29
- Sports Authority -- Closes at midnight
- Walmart -- Deal tickets available 6pm and 8pm, and again at 8am on Friday
- JC Penney -- Open through 9pm on Nov. 29
- Kohl's -- Open through midnight on Nov. 29
- Macy's -- Open through 9pm on Nov. 29
- Office Depot -- Closes at 11pm
- Office Max -- Doorbuster events at 8pm and 11pm, and again at 5am on Nov. 29
- Sears -- Open until 10pm on Nov. 29; doorbuster deals available until 1pm on Nov. 29
- Staples -- Closes at midnight
- Target -- Open through 11pm on Nov. 29
Early Morning Black Friday Store Hours (November 29, 2013) Alternatively, enjoy close to a full night's sleep and launch your shopping spree in the wee hours on Black Friday:
- Bass Pro
- Burlington Coat Factory
- Dick's Sporting Goods
- Home Depot
- Sports Authority (reopens)
- Staples (reopens)
- Ace Hardware
- BJ's Wholesale Club
- Sam's Club
- Office Depot
Related: Store return policies guide
Online Black Friday Shopping Hours. Better yet, stay home and shop online this Black Friday. Online Black Friday store hours start even earlier than Thanksgiving Day at some sites. Target, for example, is offering deals and daily doorbusters during the four days leading up to Thanksgiving. Amazon, the king of online retail, also offers deals for the entire week before the holiday and Walmart has already begun a month-long sales event. Best Buy is offering previews of its midnight sale items at 10pm on Thanksgiving Day.
Signing up for a store's loyalty program and its Black Friday email list may be worthwhile for shoppers eager for the inside scoop on sales. Other perks may be available in-store as well. Toys R Us will give its Rewards R Us members exclusive access to a pre-Black Friday event on Wednesday, November 27. The program is free to join at Toys R Us stores or online here.
More from Cheapism:
Tips for making and sticking to a Black Friday budget
For more ways to save, follow Cheapism on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook.
To stay on top of the latest posts, read the Cheapism Blog.