I love to exercise, pushing myself physically and giving myself a challenge is something that I enjoy. However, I am a realist and know that there is a large amount of people who do not feel the same way about being active as I do. Here are some of my fun tips to stay active and be a little more fit.
1. Find a group to exercise with. Whether it's your best friend, a sibling or a neighbor, find someone to help keep you motivated and make getting active fun. You can either choose to go to a group fitness class, visit the gym together or go for a run/walk around your favorite park or neighborhood.
2. Research local parks and trails near you. A good website to use is Tripadvisor.com. This allows you to insert your zip code to find trails, parks and things to do in your area. Finding a fun trail or hiking area near you can help give you the motivation to get out and move. It is all about finding something you love and truly enjoy doing.
3. Don't be afraid to try new things. Try a bike ride, walking or running, swimming, kickboxing, Zumba…trying new things will keep you interested and help you find what you love.
4. Do something seasonal. Try beach volleyball and kayaking during the summer. Go skiing or snowboarding in the winter. Enjoy the changing of leaves and flowers blooming in fall and spring by going to different parks, gardens or areas near you.
5. Incorporate your favorite music into your routine. Use whatever music that motivates you and gets you excited to move. Download new songs to your iPod and don't let yourself listen to them until you start your exercise routine.
6. Set a goal. Whether you set a time goal, weight loss goal, or increase the distance you move each week, giving yourself something to strive for is a great motivator.
7. Give yourself a reward. Whether it's a light Starbucks drink, a new pair of shoes, new makeup, cooking classes or anything else that motivates you.