Make Pumpkin Lanterns
Pumpkins with carved foliage will cast a welcoming glow on your porch this Halloween. Follow our step-by-step instructions to learn how to make the pumpkin lanterns for your home.
1. Choose a pair of low, large pumpkins with bottoms large enough to cover the top of your planters. With a serrated knife, cut off the top of each pumpkin about two inches from the stem. Remove this "lid" and scoop out innards and seeds with your hands and a large spoon. Use the spoon to scrape away as much of the flesh as you can - you want a hollowed-out pumpkin with thin "walls," to make carving the leaf shapes easier.
2. Print out the leaf template. Enlarge pattern as necessary, to accommodate the size of your pumpkin.
Related: Dazzling DIY Halloween Decor
3. With painter's tape, securely affix the paper template to the pumpkin so the leaf design is positioned in the middle of the pumpkin. Use a pumpkin carving punch tool or a small awl to jab tiny holes into the pumpkin, following the shape of the leaf and vines. Remove paper when the entire outline of the leaf and vines has been punched. Reposition paper and repeat jabbing holes, until the leaf design encircles the entire pumpkin.
4. Use a pumpkin carving tool or small serrated knife to cut out the leaf design, following along the punched holes.
5. Completely fill planters with dirt. Cover the top of the dirt with faux or real leaves. Place pumpkin on top of leaves. Right before visitors arrive, place a votive inside pumpkin, light, and replace the pumpkin lid.
-By Karin Lidbeck-Brent