In Pakistan, the annual mean surface temperature has been consistently rising trend since the beginning of 20th century. The rise in mean temp. has been of 0.6-1.0°C in arid coastal areas, arid mountains and hyper arid plains, and there has been a 10-15% decrease in both winter and summer rainfall in the coastal belt and hyper arid plains.
There has been an 18-32% increase in rainfall in the monsoon zone especially the sub-humid and humid areas. There is a 5% decrease in relative humidity in Baluchistan, 0.5 to 0.7% Increase in solar radiation over the southern half of the country.
These drastic environmental changes are all due to global warming because of our wasteful usage of natural resources and an increase in pollutants that are further causing irreversible changes to our mother land.
We must adopt steps like other developed nations to reduce and further overcome these types of problems.
In America the National Green Week is the largest waste reduction campaign in history for K-12 schools nationwide. This year's event started on February 6, 2012, but classrooms across the country can choose any week to be their green week between Feb. 6 and Earth Day (April 22, 2012).
According to USA Today, every American generates 3.5 pounds of trash each day. in Asia too we could benefit our localities by celebrating such an environmentally friendly week in our schools and other institutes.
In February 2007, the United Nations released a scientific report that concludes that global warming is happening and will continue to happen for centuries. The report also stated with 90% certainty that the activity of humans has been the primary cause of increasing temperatures over the past few decades. Climate change could reduce the habitable areas of the world.
Green Education Foundation GEF is a non-profit organization that provides curriculum and resources to K-12 students and teachers worldwide with the goal of challenging youth to think holistically and critically about global environmental, social, and economic concerns and solutions.
Last year's National Green Week in America from almost 5,000 schools, reaching nearly six million students resulted in 100,000 pounds of saved trashed and tens of thousands of dollars saved in utility bills, and this year is on track to be even more successful. Each year, the participation and the results of the event continue to improve.
Reading HabitThese call for public awareness and participation for bringing about an attitudinal change and restricting further damage to the environment make good sense. Effective implementation of environmental management and conservation programmes depends on education, awareness raising and training in the relevant areas. The sustainability movement has power and can result in long lasting behaviour changes. Slight efforts by each of us will make a big difference.
- One of the immediate actions is waste reduction. Cut the amount of rubbish by packing drinks and snacks in reusable containers can add up to big savings in energy and waste
- Go on recycling. Plastic bottles, cans, and used paper are recycled through a resource recycling centre.
- Adjusting thermostats
- Do not waste resources. Kroger discontinued its Bag Sense program as of January 2011. They continue to sell reusable shopping bags for …
- Do not throw away products only to buy brand new ones, one after another.
- Give away old clothes to someone or remake them.
- Bring your own bags for shopping to reduce waste from plastic bags.
- Do not set your air conditioners thermostat at a colder or warmer setting than normal.
- Save energy.
- Turn off unnecessary lights.
- Use public transportation or ride a bicycle or walk to avoid using your car.
- When you stop the car for a certain time, turn off the engine to save the fuel.
- Grow trees and protect forests.
We can make these actions a habit that will last a lifetime.