Dry skin is something that the overall majority of us will experience at some point of our lives. It can causes itchiness and scars from excessive scratching. Lucky for us there are several things we can do to combat dry skin.
1. Moisturize the body after taking a shower. Don't completely dry your skin but there isn't a need to be wet either. Just blot your skin, leave the skin damp before applying some sort of moisturizer. Alternatives to lotions are butter creams (olive, mango, etc) and oils.
2. Avoid using sulfates on the skin as these are drying and can be found in soaps and lotions.
3. Use a humidifier when at home so skin will not dry out especially during the winter months.
4. Drink lots of water and eat Omega 3 foods. Omega 3 foods help with aid the skin's barrier function.
5. Avoid long showers or at least don't take long showers as often to prevent a loss of natural oils. Long showers actually have a drying impact upon the skin. Keep showers ten minutes or less.
6. Look for products that contain ceramides, glycerin, and petroleum jelly as these ingredients help to lock in moisture of the skin.
7. Also, dry skin may be a side effect of medications. Check with your doctor about the side effects of your current prescription.
8. If the itching is persistent despite the suggested changes made and others tactics tried you could be allergic to something. It could be a fragrance that is used, particular type of fabric, allergy, and a whole host of other options. Consulting with a doctor to see if itching may be an allergic reaction is a good option.
9. Determining if you have a skin condition such as eczema by discussing your itchiness with a doctor can provide relief. Oral and topical medications can help with skin conditions that cause itchiness.