.Pregnancy can be a beautiful time in a woman's life. Yet accompanying factors like nausea, fatigue and general aches and pains can make you wish those nine months went by a lot quicker than they actually do.
Certified Prenatal Massage Therapist Lisanne Franco, a Zeel Expert based in New York City, recently sat down with us to discuss how massage-specifically for pregnant women-can help to address some of these unavoidable side effects. Here, Lisanne tips us off to six ways massage therapy can enhance a woman's pregnancy.
1. Drug-free relief. Especially when pharmaceuticals are often forbidden, prenatal massage can offer a safe, drug-free way to reduce achy feet, swollen legs and more.
2. Boost the body's systems. Massage can enhance the nervous as well as the circulatory and lymphatic systems, which are responsible for reducing swelling.
3. Rejuvenate your joints. Massage alleviates stress on the joints of the lower body-a definite plus as a pregnant woman begins to gain weight and her center of gravity continues to shift.
4. Manage muscle soreness. Muscle soreness is a given as a pregnant woman enters her second and third trimesters. Massage lessens the impact of this inevitable weight gain.
5. Ease your emotions. A gentle touch can provide substantial relief from the emotional stress brought on by pregnancy. Prenatal massage can alleviate this emotional stress, enabling the body to properly prepare itself for an easy (well, easier) delivery.
6. And baby makes two. Pregnancy massage work isn't just about mom. Bodywork can have a positive impact on the fetus as well, and when mom feels good, baby feels good too.