Herbal treatments for oily hair
Herbal remedies have been used with great success for thousands of years. When we discuss hair, we discuss beauty so it is only natural that there are quite a lot of herbal treatments for different kinds of hair problems.
When treating an oily hair condition it is first necessary that you identify the cause, nonetheless a herbal remedy offers a natural solution to any hair problem.
Herbal treatments are inexpensive and easy to prepare at home. They can be used for oily hair even if the cause is hormonal because they have a long-lasting effect on your hair.
There are 5 herbal remedies that you can prepare at home and use for your oily hair condition.
1. Nettle extract can do wonders for oily hair
Nettle extract has been used in Europe for more than 2000 years. It is very useful for a wide number of health conditions but it is especially used for obtaining healthy hair. Some of the effects that nettle can have on your scalp and hair:
- Nettle improves circulation on your scalp skin and thus it makes your hair grow faster and stronger
- Nettle has a degreasing effect on your hair that lasts for a very long time
- Nettle stimulates your hair roots and prevents hair loss
How to prepare a nettle infusion for your oily hair and scalp?
Nettle leaves and roots can be found in most health stores in different forms. Soak 4-5 spoons of nettle leaves or roots in 1 liter of water for 8-10 hours (you can leave them during the night). After that, filter the resulting liquid and boil the remaining plants in ½ liter of water for 5 minutes. Combine the 2 resulting liquids and use this for your last rinse when you wash your hair.
You can also take the concoction internally as nettle has the effect of balancing your hormones and detoxifying your system. In many traditions nettle tea is used in the springtime for detoxifying the body.
2. Burdock root treats oily hair successfully
Burdock root has amazing properties and can restore the health of your hair. Women in Russia have very strong hair that doesn't fall out and it's all due to using burdock root.
Burdock has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. Burdock root can be used as a concoction or as a tincture and this is how it is used:
- Take 2 spoons of burdock root and grind it with a coffee grinder. The resulting powder should be used right away because it tends to oxidize. Put the powder in one glass of water and soak it for 8-10 hours. Filter the liquid and boil the remaining roots in one glass of water for 5 minutes. Combine the 2 liquids and massage your hair with it after you wash it. This concoction can be combined with the nettle one for a more powerful effect.
- If you use a burdock tincture just rub it on your scalp every other day for at least 2 months. It will improve blood circulation and it will get rid of your oily hair problem.
- For dermatitis sufferers burdock root should be also taken internally. Put 2 spoons of burdock root powder in one glass of water and leave it to soak for 8 hours. Drink it 15 minutes before your meals (3 times per day) for 3-6 weeks. This treatment has a hypoglycemic effect so diabetics can also benefit, but they should check their blood sugar regularly when taking burdock root internally.
3. Lemon is the easiest home remedy for oily hair
Lemon is one of the most useful remedies for oily hair and it is very easy to use. It has an astringent effect on your scalp and gets rid of dandruff and sebum excess. How to use lemon for your hair:
- Take 1 lemon or 2 limes and squeeze the juice into a glass. After you wash your hair take the lemon juice and mix it with 3-4 liters of water in a container. Rinse your hair with this every time you wash it.
- For dermatitis sufferers it is best to avoid lemon juice because it can irritate the skin and make the problem worse.
- If you don't have lemon you can use 2 spoons of apple vinegar for the same effect.
4. Birch tree extract can cure oily hair
Birch tree was considered a magical tree by Romans and Celts and its sap was used each spring for blood purification and for longevity. In other cultures, birch was used for healthy and strong hair. Birch sap is used successfully on oily hair and birch leaves can be used against hair loss.
You can find birch sap extract at your local health store and you can use it on your scalp to treat oily hair. Massage your scalp every 2-3 times a day every other day for at least a month. You will see results quickly as your hair will look healthier and less greasy. How do you use birch extract for your hair:
- Buy birch sap tincture or extract and rub your scalp with it every 2 or 3 days for at least 2-3 months.
- If you don't find the extract in liquid form try to find birch leaves. Take about 30-40 leaves and boil them in 3 liters of water for 5 minutes. Use this for rinsing your hair every time you wash it.
5. Walnut leaves are a great remedy for oily hair
The walnut tree (Juglans regia) grows spontaneously in many parts of the world, especially in Europe and Asia. The leaves of this tree have been used for hundreds of years in many cultures. Walnut leaves are especially beneficial for your hair as they have astringent, antifungal, antitoxic, antibacterial, emollient and calming properties. How do you use walnut leaves for your hair:
- Take about 20-30 walnut leaves and boil them for 10 minutes in 4-5 liters of water. After it has cooled down, you can you use this to rinse your hair after you wash it. Repeat this every week for long lasting effect.
- Caution should be taken by people that don't want to change their hair color. Walnut leaves give a very nice but dark tint to your hair and many women use them to make their hair darker with a reddish-coppery tint.
- This treatment also works very well against hair loss and it gives your hair a very nice shine and color if used for longer periods of time.
All the treatments discussed above are powerful remedies and work extremely well against oily hair. They are completely natural and easy to prepare at home. Oily hair can be a problem but with these herbal treatments it can be solved quickly. There are also many other homemade remedies that you can try for oily hair. The health of your hair is important and should not be neglected.