It's crazy that the fall season is a few days away. Though I loved the summer and all the fun beauty trends and products it brings, I'm ready for a change of pace (and a change in weather!) So I'm looking to what's going to be on trend this season and for that, we go back in time to the Fall 2012 Fashion Week that took place this past winter. While fashionistas are looking at what gorgeous clothes designers are putting together, beauty junkies like me are looking at the hair and makeup and there were two trends that really caught my eye!
For the Marc by Marc Jacobs runway show, the lips took center stage with the models wearing a fresh, clean face, no shadow, and a bold lip color. This trend is great if you're not ready to let go of your favorite summer lip color or you want to experiment with deep reds and purples that are always Fall friendly. Extra brownie points - unlike the high fashion on the runway, this look is super easy to pull off!
- Apply your favorite foundation, using concealer to brighten up any dark spots and cover any imperfections. I used Avon's Cream to Powder Foundation and Sheer Cover Concealer under my eyes. If you have an oily T-zone like me, following up with a press powder like this one from CoverGirl can keep that area in check.
- Now just because we're downplaying the eyes doesn't mean we can't keep them looking bright. You can use that same concealer or go with a nude shadow. I used Heaven from TooFaced and Bliss from Smashbox all over my lids and brow bone to brighten things up. A little mascara doesn't hurt either! I used Neutrogena's Healthy Volume Mascara.
- Now we get to those lips. Before applying any bold color, it's really important to make sure those lips are properly exfoliated. You can get fancy and use the Fabulips Treatment Kit from Bliss Spa or get really simple and use a wet, hot towel to gently rub away any dead skin. Once your lips are nice and soft, you can go ahead and apply your favorite lip color. To keep the color from running, make sure you use a lip liner or apply a coordinating lip color with a fine brush along the lip line. The lip color I chose was Tempt from Covergirl, applying Wet n Wild's Cherry Bomb as a liner.
The cheeks brought the drama as well on the Fall 2012 runways. The Issa and Micheal Kors models went with a flushed look with extra rosy cheeks while Rodarte went with more bronzy colors. This look also translates well from the runway to real life without having to spend a ton of time in the mirror
- Because the cheeks are taking center stage, you have to down play the rest of your face. Just like you did for the first look, keep that face looking fresh with the right foundation and concealer. Also keep those eyes bright with a nude shadow and a little mascara.
- Apply your cheek color concentrating on the cheek bones (go ahead and make that fish face!). You can go with a rosy color or a brown shade, depending on your skin tone and preference. For my dark skin, I like Stila's Convertible Color in Poppy, the cream formula giving me a lot more color than a powder one would. Now you don't have to go super crazy like the runway models, just enough to highlight your cheeks.
- Finish off with a nude lip color or gloss.
What Fall beauty trends are you looking forward to?
MJ is a Yahoo! Shine Beauty Guru and a beauty/fashion blogger for Fierce, a beauty and fashion blog.