Dear 16 year old Jennifer (1997),
First of all, you are beautiful. With or without makeup. There will be days where you will wake up doubting this, of course. On those days when you are feeling insecure, spend a little more time on your hair or makeup, it will give you the boost you need to face the world. These are some other beauty tips from your future wiser self that I want to share with you.
1) Bangs - Sigh you love them, you hate them. You grow them out and then want them back. Just remember when you are rocking bangs, wash them everyday or spritz them with dry shampoo to keep them looking fresh.
2) Bright lipstick may seem scary, but find the right shade and that will be the only makeup you need. Sure gloss is fun (especially all the flavors of lip smackers), but adding a pop of color will brighten your entire face.
3) Comb you hair! No seriously comb it, rolling out of bed and finger combing it doesn't count. It maybe the grunge decade, but trust me, looking unkempt will not always be in style.
4) Don't pick on your skin. Yes, that zit staring at you in the mirror tempting you to pop it might turn into a not so pretty scar. Trust your future 31 year old self, those scars take forever to fade and some never go away.
5) You have such pretty eyes, why not play them up with a lil' mascara. Don't be afraid of it, just go slow and practice wielding the mascara wand till you can practically do it with your eyes closed.
6) Put the tweezers down and step away from the mirror. No seriously drop the tweezers. You have the tendency to over tweeze and there may be a day where those hairs you just pulled out by accident won't grow back. So put...the...tweezers…down.
7) Foundation should not be applied like spackling. It won't make the pimples disappear, in fact it may just call more attention to the problem. So when applying foundation use a light hand or a foundation brush. The trick is to cover redness and even your skin tone, not create an entirely new layer of skin.
I hope these words of advice help you on your path of beauty self discovery. Remember on those days where you are feeling less than pretty makeup will help, but you also have to smile bigger, laugh louder and hold your head higher, it will be just fine.
From Your Future (Hopefully) Wiser Self,
What beauty advice would you give your 16 year old self? Do you have any beauty tricks in high school that you still use now?
Jennifer Rose Griffin has been a lifelong beauty product junkie and a Yahoo! Shine Beauty Guru since 2009. Jennifer Rose tried playing by the rules and then found out that the rules she was living by were from the game Monopoly. So she tossed the rules out the window and now spends her time doing activities she is passionate about, writing, reading, playing with makeup and copious amounts of doodling. If you would like to learn more about Jennifer Rose and her interests and what inspires her quirky classic style please visit her Pinterest board J. Rose Style Pins.