Classic hairstyles are going to always be classy. The chignon is one hairstyle that never fails to make the mind smile and people swoon. It is just really pretty and reminiscent of old Hollywood. Recently my good friend, Carrie Chapman, from Rapunzel's Hair Studio in Williamsburg, Virginia sat me down, showing me how to do this look as easily as possible.
What You Need:
Barrel Curling Iron
Carrie said to me, in order for your hair to work well doing this look, do not start with clean hair. Day old hair will do much better holding the chignon than clean hair. If you must have clean hair, apply a mouse to your hair before styling. I asked her why dirty hair? She told me your hair needs a little dirt to give it some volume and something to hold onto.
- Begin by sectioning your hair into 2" pieces.
Spray hair with an anti-breakage product to protect your hair. Using a curling iron, curl your hair in a loose spiral. Hot Rollers can be used for this step instead of a curling iron. Curl your entire head. After your hair is curled, mist with hairspray. Gently brush through the hair for a soft wave.
- Using your hair clips, section the hair into 3 main sections: The sides and the back.
- If you want more volume in the crown section: Tease the crown using a rolling motion with your hand not just an up and down motion. Spray.
- Pin the back section into a loose ponytail with a roll and tuck. This will look like a bun. Pin what is tucked with a bobby pin. Make sure to hide your pins.
- Once you have pinned this section, manipulate small pieces of hair and shape. Pin this in.
- Do the same with the sides bringing these back to nape of the neck.
- Pin remaining hair loosely into the bun.
- Spray and smooth flyways with the back of the comb.
- Finish with a high gloss spray.
Carrie's Suggestions for Hair Products:
- Alterna Bamboo
- Anti-Humidity Hair Spray
- Luminous Shine Mist: Don't over spray!
- Uplifting Root Blast
- Anti Breakage Thermal
Leigh Ann Fisher is a Yahoo! Shine Beauty Guru who has written multiple article on fashion and beauty. You can follow her on her lifestyle blog at LeighAnnFisher.com or see her on Facebook or Instagram. Go behind the scenes of this mother of three girls as they try all types of beauty products and fashion hits and misses!