Though Valentine's Day is way over, date nights aren't! When I get a chance to steal a night out with my hubby, I go with my favorite makeup look. I always go for dark eyes, with a matte face and a nude lip. It has plenty of sex appeal without trying too hard. Here's how I got the look:
No matter what makeup look you're going for, you should start with a flawless face.
- I prepped my skin with Smashbox's Photo Finish Hydrating Primer. Not only does it give my skin extra hydration, it provides a smooth canvas for the rest of my look.
- To brighten up these dark mommy circles, I patted on SheerCover's Concealer under my eyes.
- I applied Mary Kay's Medium Coverage foundation with a makeup sponge. I love this foundation because it gives me the right amount coverage without looking caked on.
- For a matte finish, I used CoverGirl's Oil Control Press Powder under my eyes and T-zone, which has an annoying habit of getting super shiny on me as soon as I step outside!
- I primed my lids with Smashbox's Photo Finish Eye Primer to help my shadow stay put and keep the color from creasing.
- I started off with Silver from TooFaced in the inner corners of my eyes for a touch of brightness and sparkle.
- I pressed on Black Spark from the same palette onto the lids, following up with a blending brush to make sure the two colors blended together seamlessly.
- Instead of using a traditional liner, I went for Jillian Dempsey's Professional Eye Smokifier in black. It has the same depth of color as a liner with a thin application brush that gives a soft, smudged look when you put it on. I applied it to the upper lash lines as well as the creases, blending it out with my finger into the browbone.
- With Heaven, a light beige shadow from TooFaced, I lightened up my brow bone and the arches of my eyebrows.
- I finished up with my favorite black mascara from Buxom, which gives plenty of volume without looking crazy.
Because the eyes have a lot going on, I wanted a nude lip. I have yet to find a lipstick or gloss that gives me the color I want so I made my own! I swiped on a bit of CoverGirl's concealer and followed up with Avon's Lipgloss in Island Glow for a little shine.
What is your favorite makeup look for date night?
MJ is a Yahoo! Shine Beauty and Guru, a beauty/fashion blogger for Fierce, a freelance writer, and a brand new mom.