When asked the question what are my "must-have" beauty products, without hesitation the following items came to mind:
First it would be my eyebrow pencil and eyebrow gel by Maybelline. I love eyebrow gel; it really adds depth, shine, and holds color in place. Eyebrows are all too often overlooked, yet well shaped and defined eyebrows frame the eyes and complete your overall look.
Tip: When using an eyeliner pencil, use the side of pencil to avoid harsh lines or make sure you have an eyebrow brush to smooth out the lines, or consider an eyebrow gel that is tinted. A tinted eyebrow gel will be my next beauty product to try.
Secondly I swear by Baby Lips lip gloss by Maybelline. As a Shine Beauty Guru, I had the opportunity to try this product, and it really won me over. I have never been a big lip gloss or lipstick person but I sure love this product. I never leave home without it. As an avid motorcycle rider this lip gloss really hydrates and protects my lips from the wind and sun and has just a hint of color.
As you can see by the picture of my makeup bag it also includes Wet 'n Wild eyeliner pencil, Lancôme mascara, Mary Kay blush, Maybelline eye shadow palette, and Neutrogena Healthy Skin foundation. These are the products I use every morning before setting off to work. The Lancôme mascara is wonderful if you like big brush mascara. The Mary Kay blush is well worth the money as it lasts forever! Lastly I really like the Neutrogena Healthy Skin foundation. I had tried the Revlon age-defying but found that too drying.
Lastly I am a firm believer in toner. I love my green tea and chamomile toner that I make. Green tea is full of antioxidants and chamomile is great for sensitive skin. My skin care routine would not seem incomplete without an application of toner after cleansing.
Tip: Try this toner - just add 2 tablespoons dried herb depending on your skin type and 2 cups of water. Bring to boil and steep. Run through a cheesecloth/strainer, cool, store in sterilized jar and refrigerate. This will keep for about 5 days. I always recommend a patch test when trying any new skin care products.
- Lavender - valuable for most skin conditions, promotes new skin cell growth and balances sebum. Chamomile - Good for sensitive skin and dry skin.
- Sandalwood - Good for aging skin and dry skin. Gives a softening effect and a great neck cream when mixed with cocoa butter.
- Rosewood - a cell regenerator and cell stimulant. Good for dry, sensitive and inflamed skin.
- Rose - good for all skin types
- Lemon - brightens pale and dull complexions by its exfoliation properties. Has an effective cleansing action on greasy/oily hair and skin.
- Geranium - Good for all skin types as it balances sebrum and is good for sluggish, congested and oily skin
Carol Belanger is a Yahoo! Shine Beauty Guru and author of 300+ Skin Care Recipes. Check out my skin care and hair care posts on my Shine Blog or visit Complete Skin Care Therapy for some simple and fun skin care recipes, hair care recipes and informative articles.