Summer and makeup don't typically go hand in hand. In this heat, that makeup sweats off in less than an hour. The trends have always been to wear light makeup or try your darndest to look like you have on no makeup at all. So how do we cover up unwanted dark undereye circles, or look 'rosy' without the use of our 'go-to' stash? Here are some of my personal beauty secrets that keep it simple.
Summer Beauty Secret #1: Slimming Effects
Slight changes with shadowing can make all the difference. I'm talking bronzers and shimmer powders to really enhance all the right places and minimize areas that you want to look smaller. New to this? Try a highlighting & bronzer palette.
To start, you want to darken areas that would naturally be in shadow.
- For face: under the cheekbones, sides of nose (with small brush), under the neck;
- For your chest: directly above and below the clavicle bones;
- Arms: Make like Rosie the Riveter and clench a fist, popping your bicep out. The area on the inside of the arm underneath your massive muscle should be shaded in;
- Legs: Stand on your tip toes, causing your calves to flex and take a look. The area under your calves should lightly be traced with bronzer in a slightly tilted 'U' shape.
- For face: down the top of the nose, top of the cheekbones;
- Shoulders: Shimmer up the top of your shoulders, where the arm meets the body (this makes the shoulders appear more petite);
- Collarbones: lightly dust these with a small angled blush brush;
- Arms - dust up the top of your massive biceps;
- Legs- wide strokes along the bulk of your calves;
Think rudimentary art- visualize an apple and where the light hits it. The sides protruding out should be brighter; the side sloping inward should be darker. You can literally chisel your face and muscles to create a slimming effect.
Summer Beauty Secret #2: Lose The Puffy Eyes
Summertime can dehydrate you faster than anything with that scorching sun. Drinking eight glasses of water is no beauty secret, it is crucial. On top of this, here is my instant trick to debag the eyes. Make a pot of green tea. Let this cool before soaking a washcloth in it. Wring out the washcloth and lay this on your eyes for five minutes. Wallah- instant reduction for less than $5 and you can skip concealer.
Summer Beauty Secret #3 : Nail Polish That Lasts
If you are going to the pool, the beach or out in the sun often this summer, it will wreak havoc on that manicure. To keep your nail polish from chipping or fading, put a thin clear coat on top of your nails every other night as needed. Once you have done this three separate nights , you can count on your nail polish lasting a lot longer.
Summers are supposed to be fun, carefree and low-key. Don't sweat the small stuff, as they say. Try these beauty tips yourself and see how it goes!
Tell us: What summer beauty tips work for you?
Mel B. is a Yahoo! Shine Beauty Guru, a writer of all things beauty, and Founder of www.AskASalon.com, where Beauty Pro's connect, network, and answer questions for savvy women wanting the best beauty information. When she's not working, you'll find her hanging with her family in Pacifica, CA, or just contemplating life with walks along the beach, typically with a hardcore energy drink in hand. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org