Photo: Oprah.comBy Amber Kallor
Inspired by the eye-opening effects false lashes had on Gayle King, O's Deputy Photo Director Christina Weber split a big box of them (left) with another staffer to see if she could achieve the same look at home. Following makeup artist Carmindy's instructions, Weber has been wearing false lashes to the office almost every day-and the results are surprisingly natural-looking.
RELATED: Val Answers Your Top 20 Skincare Questions
Although it took her two or three times to get the hang of it, she says allotting yourself plenty of time to apply (it used to take her up to 15 minutes, she's since narrowed it down to five) and wearing them consistently is key. "One eye is going to be easier to do than the other," she says, "But with practice it becomes less of an event to put them on." We asked Weber (our new resident lash pro) to give us three of her best tips:
RELATED: Adam's Guide to the Perfect Party Outfit
- While Carmindy used black lashes on Gayle, Weber (who has light hair and fair skin) suggests brown for a more subtle effect. Her go-to's: Andrea Lashes in #53 and Ardell Demi Lashes in #110.
- Weber prefers black glue to clear. "It's easier to conceal any gaps along your lash line," she says.
- Don't peel your lashes off (or risk losing your natural ones). Instead, she dips a cotton ball in makeup remover and soaks each strip before gently taking it off. If you're careful you can re-use them same pair of false lashes more than once.
RELATED: The Easy Guide to Flawless Skin
Have you ever tried false lashes? Do you have any tricks for applying?
More from Oprah.com:
- Oprah's Favorite Things: 2011 Gift Guide
The Best Time of Year to Buy Anything
Are You Making These Workout Mistakes?
6 Simple Dishes to See You Through The Holiday Season
- Subscribe to O, The Oprah Magazine and save up to 78%
Like O, The Oprah Magazine on Facebook