Joining the ranks of my favorite multi-tasking pantry dwellers is coconut oil ($9.99 for 15 oz. at vitaminshoppe.com). Lately, it seems I can't read a health or cooking article without coming across a new genius use for coconut oil and for good reason; coconut oil can do more than replace butter and vegetable oil in recipes. Save time and money by using these tips for coconut oil in these DIY beauty remedies.
Drugstore Beauty: 5 Simple Steps to Restore Your Hair
1. DIY Body Scrub: Quit buying that expensive department store body scrub and make your own. Slough off dead skin by mixing coconut oil with sugar for a moisturizing body scrub that smells as good as it works.
2. Make-Up Remover: It sounds crazy, but trust me, use a little bit of coconut oil on your fingers and dab it on your eyelid. Then, with a tissue or cotton round (I like Swisspers Cotton Rounds, $2.89 at drugstore.com), go back over the eyelid and voila! Everything from waterproof mascara to eyeshadow primer will be gone leaving your eyes clean and hydrated (coconut oil is also a natural moisturizer!).
The Surgery-Free Way to Youthful-Looking Skin
3. Deep Condition Your Hair: Since it's a natural moisturizer, use coconut oil as a deep conditioner. Cover split ends or your whole head of hair, leave in for a few minutes and wash out with shampoo. You can follow with conditioner if you want, but you probably won't need too. Not only will you have shiny, healthy hair, but it will smell amazing as well.
4. Moisturize Your Skin: Massage coconut oil as desired on your skin and watch as dry skin disappears. This works especially well on sensitive skin since this is all-natural there are no harsh fragrances or perfumes, but you'll end up with great-smelling skin as a result.
8 Useful Things to Do With Coffee that Don't Involve Drinking It
5. Lip Balm: Fill an old lip balm pan with coconut oil* and apply to your lips as a balm throughout the day-your lips will be plenty pampered.
*Note: For this use, consider buying solid coconut oil as opposed to liquid coconut oil. Both types should be available at local vitamin stores. Check out Livestrong.com to learn more about the benefits of coconut oil and skincare.