I was flipping through US Weekly the other night and saw the usual "Stars: They're just like us!" You know the deal: It's celebrities doing mundane things like grocery shopping, getting a parking ticket, blowing their nose. (OK, that last one might be a stretch.) But the one thing that struck me was every single celeb dressed down in gym clothes still looked super cute and polished. I realized my go-to gym uniform (messy bun and stretched-out yoga pants) could use an upgrade.
Related: Celeb Diets: Before and After
And after talking to a few beauty, hair, and fashion experts, I realized I really am just being lazy, because looking good at the gym doesn't require a team of personal assistants. It just comes down to these few things:
Related: Comfy and Stylish Clothes
1. Go for a braid. If you're like me, the first thing you do in the morning is throw your hair into a messy bun. Instead, try a side braid (get some ideas and how-tos from these 10 best braids). It's a cuter alternative to a pony or bun, and doesn't take any more time to do.
2. Deep condition while you work. According to celebrity hairstylist Ange Todorov, you can help your hair while you sweat. "Run your fingers through your hair with a deep conditioner, pull your hair back, and let your hair condition while you work out." The heat and moisture coming off your body opens hair cuticles, allowing the conditioner to work its magic. Genius.
Related: Best Braiding Tutorials We Love
1. Keep it minimal. The gym isn't the place for red lips and smoky eyes. Celebrity makeup artist Paola Orlando suggests a simple makeup routine to get a fresh, healthy glow. "Use a bronze highlighter on forehead, cheekbones, top of nose and chin. Then apply a cream bronzer beginning at temples and all the way to the cheekbones and neck. Finish with brown waterproof mascara and a sheer lip balm."
2. Skip the foundation. Orlando recommends using a tinted moisturizer rather than a foundation, mainly because you don't want to be the girl with globs of foundation running down her face mid-Pilates class, and also to minimize makeup-induced breakouts. Check out the best SPF moisturizers here.
Related: Beauty Tips to Look Thinner
1. Trade in neutrals for neon. One of the quickest ways to give your gym style some oomph is with a pop of color, and neon is the hottest trend right now (see here). Brighten things up with a fitted neon tank top, and balance everything out with charcoal gray or black leggings.
2. Add some bling -- but leave the chandelier earrings at home. Fashion expert Stephanie Rygorsky says, "Try wearing some really cute studs, a couple of close-fitting fabric wrap bracelets, and call it a day."
Now you tell me: What is your current workout uniform? Do you even care how you look while working out? Leave your comment below.
More on BeautyRiot.com: