By Chris Perrin for SheKnows.com
Nachos and cheese dip are pretty standard Super Bowl fare. In one way or another, some sort of cheese (or cheese-like product) gets melted down, maybe mixed with some chilies or sausages, and served with chips.
While there is certainly nothing wrong with your basic nacho arrangement, it barely scratches the surface of what is possible when cheese meets meat and heat.
MOVE OVER CHIPS AND DIP
If there is anything that the Super Bowl celebrates, it's excellence-in football, in commercials, and in game day snackage. That's why you should seriously consider serving Super Bowl fondue instead of everyday nachos at your Super Bowl party. If you do it right, your game day eats might be so good everyone will almost forget there's a game on...almost.
SUPER BOWL FONDUE
Really any cheese will work in a fondue as long as it melts reasonably well. Gruyère, emmenthaler, fontina, and butterkase are traditional, but there's no reason to stick with them. Instead, we can use something a little more Super Bowl-ish.
- 2 cans wheat beer
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can diced chilies
- Splash hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Bring the beer, onion, chilies, and hot sauce to a boil in a soup pot or a fondue pot.
- Mix the flour and cheese together and toss it into the pot; stir to melt.
- If you have a fondue pot, leave the cheese in it, if not, either leave the fondue on the stove over medium-low or low heat, or put it into a crock pot over low heat.
CLASSIC FONDUE -- SUPER BOWL STYLE
As an alternative, why not use gruyère, emmenthaler, and fontina in a Super Bowl recipe? They are traditional for a reason!
- 1 pound chorizo
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup each gruyère, emmenthaler, fontina
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chorizo and set aside.
- In a fondue pot or soup pot, bring the broth, white wine, and garlic to boil; add the cheese and stir to melt; fold in the chorizo and serve.
- Super Bowl pre-game activities to get the party started
- Super Bowl sliders
- The ultimate Super Bowl chili
For more recipe ideas connect with SheKnows on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.