We all know the dangers about spending too much time soaking up the sun's rays. And tanning products and services can be expensive - not to mention hard to maintain. But still - there's nothing more beautiful than that healthy sun-kissed glow you love to wear in summer. Since May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, we've got five ways to look tanned from head to toe, all while saving a little money-and your skin!
1. Start with a matte bronzer on your face for an all-over tanned look. Two brands we like are MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation and Physician's Formula Bronze Booster Glow-Boosting Pressed Bronzer.
2. Use shimmer powders and bronzers for highlights on the elevated portions of your face: cheek, nose and brow bones. Stick to the highlights only - too much shimmer settles in lines and creases and can make you look like the Tin Man! We tried NARS Highlighting Blush Powder, Bronzing Powder or Sparkling Pressed Powder, as well as Physician's Formula Glow-Boosting Pressed Shimmer Powder.
3. For darker skin, just go for the highlights. Use a shimmer brick to get the sun's golden tones on the cheek, brow and nose bones. We suggest Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick or Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Bronzer, Blush and Eye Shadow.
4. Use a body bronzer on your arms, legs, shoulders and back to add a little color. Make sure your skin is well moisturized so it will slide on smoothly. Otherwise, you might end up with streaks and blotches. Body bronzers add color but are not self-tanners. Our pick: TANtalizer Body Bronzing Luminizer by Lorac.
5. For legs, you can also try a spray foundation. You can use it alone or to add a little more coverage or color over your body bronzer - especially if you're fair. Just spray it on, rub it in to make sure you've got even coverage - and go! Give these a try: ERA Face Spray on Foundation and Sally Hansen Salon Airbrush Legs.