Ten designers divulge the hues they're partial to - and how they can make the design of a room sing. See their favorite colorful home accessories and get inspired.
See more from HouseBeautiful.com:
Ten designers divulge the hues they're partial to - and how they can make the design of a room sing. See their favorite colorful home accessories and get inspired.Read More »from Top Interior Designers' Favorite Accent Colors
- Astrology.com Home and Garden Horoscopes | At Home – Tue, Aug 27, 2013 11:23 AM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
While your housemate may be proud of the raise she's just received, she probably doesn't want you to disclose the details of her salary at the dinner party. Especially when concerning matters of money, it's best to turn your conversation to caring for your hanging fuchsias and the upcoming clambake.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Daily Grind Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
Be careful not to hurry through your watering today, and make sure to chew your food thoroughly. You'll find yourself wanting to rush both laborious and pleasurable experiences today. Don't neglect those in your life who want you to slow down and share the stories of their day while you thin your perennials.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Numerology Portrait
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily Home & Garden Horoscopes -- Wednesday August 28, 2013
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
It's the perfect day for a mother-daughter tea party with your newly embroidered tea towels, a selection of fragrant green teas and fresh fruit tarts.
- Good Housekeeping | At Home – Tue, Aug 27, 2013 11:05 AM EDT
Read More »from 9 Multi-Tasking Gadgets that Give You More for Your Money
Bang-for-your-buck gadgetsFrom kitchen appliances to music players, these GHRI-tested products do double duty to help you save money - and storage space - while still giving you out-of-this-world performance.
1. KitchenAid mixers, like the KitchenAid Ultra Power Stand Mixer KSM95ER ($299.99, amazon.com) take culinary multi-tasking to the next level. With a hub for accessories like an ice cream attachment ($99.99, amazon.com), you'll be ready to tackle nearly any culinary task without the expense of additional appliances.
2. Not just for mopping floors, the Oreck Steam-It Multi Purpose Steam Wand ($179.99, amazon.com) has adjustable settings for cleaning a variety of surfaces and those hard-to-reach overhead spots. Save money on specialty products and tools since this cleaning wizard claims to clean mirrors, countertops, windows, toilets - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Related: 2013 Good Housekeeping Very Innovative Product (VIP) Awards
3. A dependable kitchen tool, the Taylor Gourmet Digital
By Louis DeNicola, Cheapism.com
It's rare to see someone on the street with an iPad outside a case or without a cover. Cases let owners add a personal touch to the popular tablet while lessening the fear that a slip or ding will ruin the expensive device.
Related: Cheap digital camera reviews
The Apple Smart Cover ($39) is perhaps one of the most common ways to shield an iPad. It protects the screen but doesn't wrap around the back or the edges to cushion a potentially shattering impact. Cheapism.com recommends other covers near the same price point that offer similar screen protection but also additional armor for the back and corners. And unlike a sleeve, the recommended cases safeguard the iPad when it's in use, not just at rest or in transport.Keep your investment protected with an iPad case.
Here are the three top picks:
The STM Skinny for iPad (starting at $35) is, as the name implies, a slim and lightweight case, which online reviewers like because it keeps a low profile. This case has a tongue-and-loop closureRead More »from Best Budget Cases to Keep Your IPad Safe
- Redbook | At Home – Tue, Aug 27, 2013 9:24 AM EDT
These retro keepsakes update a wall and preserve memories. Tori Spelling makes the DIY project easy. REDBOOK.Read More »from The Fancy-Looking, D.I.Y Way to Show Off Your Kids
I wanted to create mementos for my children that mixed a vintage-y craft idea with modern design. These old-fashioned silhouettes on top of a geometric pattern are perfect. I got the fabric backgrounds at Jo-Ann, then found spray paint in the same colors at Michaels, where I also got the frames. Liam (age 6) and Stella (age 5) picked their colors. Stella was very vocal that Hattie (19 months) get the yellow and Finn (9 months) the blue.
Related: The Hottest Summer Party Ideas of 2013
Make these in a snap:
1. Take a digital photo of each child's profile from the same distance. I knew I wanted the kids' silos to face each other, so I photographed them from different sides. Print the photos on a thick, card-stock paper like you'd use for an invitation.
2. Carefully cut out the heads-there's no trick here, just patience. It's the details that will make these pop: Hattie has
Create a tidy place for book bags, shoes, outerwear, and other stuff right at the entry, and you know where they won't be? On the dining room table, in the middle of the living room floor, or anyplace else where they'll be in the way. A mudroom or "mudroom area" has other benefits, too! It'll encourage your family and guests to remove shoes at the door (preventing tracked-in dirt) and discourage forgetting things you may need as you morning-rush out of the house (umbrella, anyone?). Go on, start stealing ideas. We don't mind at all. -Tabitha Sukhai, thisoldhouse.com
Build It and They Will Come
Build One from Scratch
The second the sun goes away, out comes the umbrellas and the raincoats and the Wellies. And with them a lot of messy wetness that can warp hardwood floors and stain your best rugs. Short of forcing your family to disrobe on the front stoop, your best bet is to create a stopping area justRead More »from DIY Mudroom Ideas to Stop Clutter in Its Tracks
Incorporating plants native to your climate means less water, less maintenance, and more wildlife. Here are our top picks around the West. Find out what grows best in your climate zone here. And if you don't know your zone, you can easily look it up.
Native to: California and southern Oregon
To about 1 ft. high, 10 in. wide. Rosettes of narrow, fleshy, evergreen leaves bear 10-in. stems topped by large, extremely showy clusters of 1-in. white or pink flowers often striped with rose or red. Blooms from spring to early summer. Lewisia cotyledon howellii is similar but has wavy-edged leaves and somewhat larger flowers. Prune out side growth to maintain air circulation around root crown. Can be grown in pots of fast-draining sterilized soil or growing mixes.
Penstemon Margarita BOP
Native to: CaliforniaCommon thrift
These deep blue beauties have purple throats.
(Armeria maritima)Read More »from 23 Knock-out Native Plants
Native to: California, Oregon, Washington, and B.C.
- Astrology.com Home and Garden Horoscopes | At Home – Mon, Aug 26, 2013 1:10 PM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Pay special attention to the antiques and mementos that have been passed down through your family. If it's been a year since you polished your bird's eye maple dresser, it's about time you delivered some TLC. Ponder the idea that polishing could lead to thoughts of refinishing or touching up to preserve the antiquity of your family treasures.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Extreme Makeover Tarot Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
You keep reciting and revising a love letter in your head if only you could tear yourself away from smelling the luscious rose bushes in your yard. The sensibility of romance is all about you today, bring stationary outside and write as you linger with the sun warm on your cheek.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Love Meter
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily Home & Garden Horoscopes -- Tuesday August 27, 2013
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
Your casserole with eggplant and asparagus was such a hit that your family is calling for a second round this week. The leftovers
Now that your bestie is betrothed, it's your turn to pick out the perfect celebratory present. We've rounded up ten wallet-friendly goodies to send her off on her way to happily ever after.
For More From Real Beauty:
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.Read More »from Give the Best Engagement Gift (On a Budget)
- Babble.com | At Home – Mon, Aug 26, 2013 10:52 AM EDT
Your workspace should reflect your work, and success is all about the future. Planning for it, working toward it, and making a better one for ourselves and our children. When your base of operations is your home, it's important to build an environment that puts you in a productive mood. With that in mind, here are 7 sleek and modern desks to make your home office the perfect launchpad for your career.
-By Liz Stanley
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from (Work)Space Age: 7 Ultra-Modern Desks for Your Home Office
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST