MORE ON BABBLE
10 television series finales that will always make us cry
11 things "Arrested Development" taught me about parenting
25 vintage hairstyles to steal from The Great Gatsby, Mad Men, and more!
- Babble.com | At Home – Thu, Nov 7, 2013 1:24 PM ESTThe wonderful, fanciful, cruel, and awesome world of George Martin's Game of Thrones has enthralled HBO audiences for 3 solid seasons. The show's 3rd season finale last summer brought 5.4 million viewers to the TV - even with the competition of the NBA Finals and the Tonys. The hit TV show and best selling book series has inspired artists and craftsmen as well. From handmade cosplay items to beautiful posters and clever t-shirts, these awesome handmade items inspired by Game of Thrones will tide you over during the long, cold winter ahead. Take a look! It will help you fill the time until Season 4 premieres next spring. - By Kacy Faulconer
Eat, Drink, Garden's Valerie Rice makes a creative and chic vase from a pumpkin.
64Natural fall decor dresses your home from Halloween straight through Thanksgiving. Now, having a garden I'm bewitched with all types of winter squash: pumpkins, kabocha, acorn, and butternut - such variety and beauty! All are easy to grow, and, after an early summer harvest, you can store them to enjoy throughout the autumn season - both for decor and the dinner table.One of my favorite tips is use a pumpkin as a vase; it adds great natural charm to your floral arrangements. Start by cutting a hole at the top and hollowing out your pumpkin. Then, use a plastic cup (filled with water) to sit inside and hold your arrangement. Next is the fun part, layering greenery and blooms. Don't be afraid to venture outside the traditional fall color scheme, I love to fill a white pumpkin filled with soft pink flowers, it's feminine and pretty.
More from House Beautiful:Read More »from A Creative Idea for Your Post-Halloween Pumpkin
Thanksgiving is all about focusing on what really matters: family, friends and the ultimate comfort food. Take a fuss-free approach with our tips for setting a seasonal table that incorporates rustic elements with a touch of sophistication.
-By Camille Styles, Photography by Mike Bullock
MORE FROM HGTV FAMILY OF SITESRead More »from 10 Tips for a Simply Chic Thanksgiving Dinner
10 Genius Ways to Keep Your Kitchen Organized
GALLERY: Go Inside Britney Spears's Former Love Nest
20 Vintage Wallpaper Ideas We're Loving Right Now
Think You Can ID These 22 Poisonous Plants?
16 Kitchens That Foodies Would Kill to Own
- Thanksgiving: When families get together to eat turkey, watch football, and dredge up the same arguments they've been having for decades. Maybe it's your pot-smoking uncle arguing with your drug-hating grandma about legalizing weed, man. Or, it's you getting into a heated discussion about contraception coverage with your conservative, church-going aunt. You probably want to avoid flinging the cranberry sauce across the table for just one year, so here are ten topics to discuss that won't cause a family meltdown.
1. Miley Cyrus
The twerk-happy twentysomething has reached full media saturation. She does have a good voice, but she's also very, very silly. Everyone can have a good chuckle at her latest antics.
Read More: Why We Should Leave Miley Cyrus Alone
2. Leaning InRead More »from 10 Drama-Free Thanksgiving Conversation Starters
The phrase has reached meme proportions. But it's a good jumping off point to talk to older generations of ladies in your family about what expectations of women were like back in the day. Who doesn't love a
By Elizabeth Sheer, Cheapism.com
Even if you're a whiz at finding discounts, consumer spending patterns indicate that you'll spend hundreds of dollars during the winter holidays on gifts and seasonal items. Then there's the cost of travel to family and friends, buying holiday clothes, hosting and attending parties, and so on. Add it all up and near panic is likely to ensue.
But consider this: The savings you could accumulate by tapping into your curmudgeonly self and ignoring the holidays entirely. Gallup reported that the average American spent $83 a day last December on purchases (including gasoline for the car) and restaurant meals compared with $71 during the other 11 months. Assuming we're on track to shell out these same amounts this year, each adult in the household could save more than $400 during the 34-day period from Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve. And that doesn't include air and rail travel forgone or normal household expenses.
Related: Thanksgiving costRead More »from Forget the Holidays and Save
- The Vivant | At Home – Wed, Nov 6, 2013 6:09 PM EST
By Caroline McCloskey, The Vivant
Dita Von Teese
Related Article: 25 Ways To Update Thanksgiving
And while she is known for her extravagant shows, when entertaining off the clock she likes to keep things intimate and relaxed. "I'm a do-it-yourself kind of girl-I don't have chefs," Von Teese shared. "I love cooking, making cocktails, and decorating my house." At a recent event for Cointreau held in Von Teese's own kitchen, which features pink toile and vintage appliances, Von Teese shared some of her top tips for throwing a chic holiday party.
Related Article: Chef Tom Colicchio Says Its OK To Use aRead More »from Dita Von Teese on How to Plan the Perfect Holiday Party
- By Jessica Velez, Refinery29
Sure, there's a vast, expansive world out there, but the right home decor will make your nest the coziest place on earth. So, whether you're looking for an easy upgrade or a complete overhaul, here are 20 splendid pieces that are perfect for that wintry abode.
From geode magnets that glitz up any room to romantic hanging air plants, this is the best of the best. Click through and - do we have to even say it? - make yourselves at home.Read More »from 20 Stunning Ways to Make Over Your Home
By: Brit + Co.
Fall is decidedly all about feasts. From harvesting vegetables to prepping for Thanksgiving, food is definitely top of mind this time of year. But you can't forget about a festive tablescape! And what better way to celebrate food than with… food?! Here's an easy to way turn fruits and vegetables into a gorgeous centerpiece.
- Brit + Co. | At Home – Wed, Nov 6, 2013 12:52 PM EST
By: Brit + Co.
Now that we're totally through with Halloween, it's time to start thinking about Thanksgiving. Whether you're hosting or helping out, a touch of DIY decor is a must for a warm and welcoming turkey day table. Here are 7 decor ideas you can actually make!
- Astrology.com Home and Garden Horoscopes | At Home – Wed, Nov 6, 2013 12:20 PM EST
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Find the best approach for delegating chores within your home. Your usual tactic -- cornering a housemate in the kitchen and demanding that he help immediately -- doesn't seem to be getting the desired results. Come up with some better lures and see whether the morale doesn't change.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Karma Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
As you squeeze the honey onto your cereal this morning, you may notice it's in a hard lump at the bottom of the jar. Though you may be tempted to scoop the honey out with a spoon, toss it and buy a new bottle. Start from scratch instead of skimping today.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Numerology Portrait
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily Home & Garden Horoscopes -- Thursday November 7, 2013
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
Prepare a picnic to rival no other -- match the food to the day. For a picnic in the park, bring finger foods and spreadable, stinky cheeses; for a day at the beach, prepare cold sandwiches and homemade iced tea. Accentuate
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST