The author's fridgeCertainly what is inside your refrigerator says a lot about your family. Crammed with junk? Sporting soy milk and Tofurkey? Neatly organized condiments or a jumble of bottles with their contents crustified around the spout?
Well it turns out that just as you can learn a lot about someone by sneaking a peek into their medicine cabinet (fungus cream?! what's this for?) you can learn just as much, or more, by their refrigerator. Not just the inside, but the outside too.
As the New York Times recently reported, a new book called Life at Home in the 21st Century is about what a bunch of researchers from UCLA found out after following 32 dual-income middle class American families with young children. The team ended up with more than 1,400 hours of videotaped interactions.
The book is about how we live in our homes, how we go about creating spaces within them including what they call the "material saturation" and how it all reflects the way we live our lives.
Related: 10 everyday household
The author's fridgeCertainly what is inside your refrigerator says a lot about your family. Crammed with junk? Sporting soy milk and Tofurkey? Neatly organized condiments or a jumble of bottles with their contents crustified around the spout?Read More »from What Your Fridge Door Says About You
- Disney Baby | At Home – Wed, Sep 5, 2012 4:27 PM EDT
When I think back to my baby shower a few short years ago, of course I have fond memories. We had a book theme and our guests brought their favorite new or used children's books in lieu of cards. It was a fun theme and a great way to get our son's library off to a good start. Unfortunately, this was before I knew about party-planning and parenting blogs, and long before Pinterest existed. So now having searched around, I have some major why didn't I think of that? regrets. Lucky for you, I am not going to let all my new knowledge go to waste! From decor to themes to games and giveaways, I've rounded up 10 amazing ideas for a beautiful, book-themed baby shower. - By Michelle Horton
MORE ON DISNEY BABY
Read More »from Starting Your Next Chapter: 10 Beautiful, Book-inspired Baby Shower Ideas
- Babble.com | At Home – Wed, Sep 5, 2012 1:29 PM EDT
I love pretty party wares as much as the next girl. OK, I probably love them more than most people. Thinking about pretty decoration ideas for entertaining and parties is, in a nutshell, what I do with about 90% of my time. And I hate getting the house all gussied up for a celebration, putting hours into crafting up the cutest decorations and then having to take it all down to discard. Such a bummer! But no worries. Today I'm sharing 7 fun ways to work festive party crafts into everyday decor! Now you can keep the party going long after the last slice of cake has been gobbled up! - By Cyd Converse
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from 7 Ways You Can Use Party Decorations in Everyday Decor
From a playful nursery to a lively teenager's room, these bedrooms are creative, cheerful, and definitely distinctive.
See more from HouseBeautiful.com:
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.Read More »from 10 Cool Kids' Room Ideas
Tips for Buying a MattressFinding the right mattress can be exhausting! By the time you find a new one, you'll be more than ready for a good night's sleep. There are so many retailers carrying different brands and models that it's tough to figure out exactly which one is right for you. While your personal comfort and budget should be at the top of your list of things to look for, here are a few other important things to consider.
1. Coil count In the past coil count was equated with quality and a big driver of price -- the higher the coil count, the better and more expensive the mattress. These days the number of coils isn't as closely related to quality as it once was. Some manufacturers are now making coils in a way that allows them to use fewer without sacrificing comfort and durability. Look for features that are important to you, maybe you want a hybrid bed made up of coils and memory foam or maybe you prefer a bed made with fabric that wicksRead More »from 3 Secrets to Buying a New Mattress
- Astrology.com Home and Garden Horoscopes | At Home – Tue, Sep 4, 2012 9:24 PM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Take control of your home today. If you don't like the way something looks, instigate a change that will increase livability. Don't shy away from doing a complete overhaul if you have the time, energy, and income.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Past Life Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
Your flannel sheets are adorable and your satin sheets are decadent. Go for practicalities today -- you may not be living the glamorous life you crave, but you'll be a lot more comfortable.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Numerology One-Year Forecast
Read More »from Astrology.Com Home and Garden Horoscopes – Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
As you come down the stairs for breakfast this morning, the sea of flip-flops in the entryway trips you. The relaxed nature of your house is one of its charming aspects, but the mess is becoming a bit of a health hazard.
These 9 rooms are filled with bright colors and fun finds. Start here, then let your kids fill their rooms with things that show off their own creative personalities!Read More »from Great Kids' Rooms Ideas -- that You'll Both Love!
- Babble.com | At Home – Tue, Sep 4, 2012 4:35 PM EDT
Summer seems to be fading away - and we're going to drink up every last drop. I find myself longing for afternoons lounging at the pool every day. But these pools take that fantasy to a whole other level. I stumbled on 8 incredibly unique and dreamy pools that will having you wishing you were there. - By Rachel Faucett
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from 8 Incredible Swimming Pools You'll Wish Were Yours
- Disney Baby | At Home – Tue, Sep 4, 2012 3:07 PM EDT
When it comes to decorating the nursery, one important decision is lighting! Will you have task lighting, dim lighting, bright lighting? Will your lamps be simple and functional, chosen to fit into a theme, or will they be a focal point of the room? What will you use for the middle of the night feedings or to keep baby feeling unafraid of the dark? Planning lighting for a girl's nursery can be fun but overwhelming - there are so many beautiful options! Lucky for you we've already done some digging narrowed it down to 7 lovely and unique lighting ideas for your baby girl's nursery - here are our top picks!- By Arianne Segerman
MORE ON DISNEY BABY
Read More »from Let There Be Light: 7 Unique Lamps to Brighten Up Your Girl's Nursery
- This Old House Magazine | At Home – Tue, Sep 4, 2012 3:02 PM EDT
See TOH landscape contractor Roger Cook on the new season of This Old House, starting October 4th"I don't know why people don't do more yard work in September," says This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook. "Fall is the absolute best time to get things done, and it gives you a head start on spring." For most of the country, autumn's moderate temperatures and plentiful rainfall offer the year's best gardening conditions. What's more, many plants are in a phase of intense root growth, which makes fall a great time to plant, transplant, and feed them. So when the first hint of cool air sweeps through your yard - from late August to early October, depending on your latitude and altitude-here's what you can do to dress up your landscape and lay the groundwork for a lush lawn and beautiful flower beds come spring.Read More »from What You Should Be Doing in Your Yard This Fall for a Vibrant Landscape Come Spring
MORE: Get Ready for Fall Planting
Lawns. "To grow a lawn that greens up naturally each spring and that resists drought and disease, you need to foster a strong root system," says Roger. This requires annual maintenance - best done in the fall when weeds aren't likely to
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST