Oprah's furnishings before, and in Oprah-sealed boxes after. Media billionaires are just like us-only instead of hosting garage sales in hopes of affording a full-home Crate and Barrel makeover, they host lavish furniture auctions with proceeds generously going to charity.
In order to accommodate an interior-design rehaul of her 23,000-square-foot Santa Barbara estate, Oprah Winfrey announced this week that she will auction off her West Coast home's contents, with the proceeds going to her leadership academy for girls in South Africa. Intriguingly, Oprah decided to redecorate not after evaluating her true self in one of her magazine's many tutorials but after an interior designer pricked her insecurities with a harsh yet business-savvy neg: "This house has nothing to do with you." (Winfrey consequently hired the interior designer, Rose Tarlow, the Los Angeles Times notes.)
- Vanity Fair | At Home – Fri, Oct 11, 2013 2:30 PM EDT
Julie MillerRead More »from Oprah is Selling Off Her Furniture and You Can Buy It
Forget the orange plastic pumpkins and the clutter of faux cobwebs. These decorations are eerily elegant.
More from House Beautiful:Read More »from Bewitching Halloween Decor Under $50
I do love pink as much as the next person, but sometimes it can be a little too much in a room. It's one of those colors that can be taken all the way to tacky pretty quickly, but I have good news! If you love pink and want to incorporate it into your home decor, there is hope. There are some beautiful items that will make your home look incredible and guess what? They're all pink! Pink done the non-tacky way is the pink for me.
-By Liz Stanley
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from 7 Non-Tacky, Modern Ways to Decorate with Pink
- Babble.com | At Home – Fri, Oct 11, 2013 12:25 PM EDT
Your bedroom is a sacred space. The mood should be peaceful, pretty, and above all, personal. Mass-produced decor can leave it feeling sterile, but not everyone has the time or know-how to custom-make something on their own. If there's one place you can be sure to find unique, creative, and quirky home goods, it's Etsy - so we've found 7 wonderful Etsy shops run by talented and creative mothers who weave that nurturing touch into everything they make.
-By Jan Halvarson
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from Oh Sew Sleepy: 7 Etsy Shops to Beautify Your Bedroom
- Vogue Magazine | At Home – Fri, Oct 11, 2013 12:25 PM EDT
John PowersRead More »from Four Ways of Looking at Tom Hanks's New Film, "Captain Phillips"
1. As a Thriller
Based on a 2009 news story about Somali pirates hijacking a U.S.-flagged cargo ship, Paul Greengrass's movie begins at a slow, slightly dull procedural trot. Captain Phillips (Tom Hanks) says goodbye to his wife (Catherine Keener), takes command of the MV Maersk Alabama, and sets sails for Mombasa. But Greengrass is a brilliantly hyperkinetic, almost Cubist stylist-imagine Michael Bay with filmmaking talent-who turns everything into a thriller, whether he's directing a Bourne picture (he did the best two) or a docudrama about United Flight 93 on 9/11. After coolly and lucidly laying out how Phillips gets kidnapped, Greengrass starts ratcheting up the suspense-the final scenes are almost unbearably gripping.
See more: Fashion Week A-to-Z
2. As an Oscar Movie
To have a shot at Best Picture, a film needs to be something that industry voters think weighty.Captain Phillips fits the bill perfectly. Not only does it tell a timely story about endangered Americans
Skip the carving with these stamps!
Add some Halloween spirit to your table with stamped, no-carve pumpkins.
1. Choose three or four medium-size pumpkins with unblemished skin.
Related: How to Decorate Pumpkins - No Mess Required
2. Purchase flexible plastic stencils at a craft or hobby store, and affix to pumpkin with duct tape.
Related: Make Your Own Halloween Photo Frame
3. Dip a paint brush into black acrylic paint. Wipe off any excess paint from the brush with a paper towel, so the brush is almost dry - you want a minimal amount of paint on the bristles. Use a dabbing motion to stencil pattern onto pumpkin.
4. Use a water-moistened Q-tip to rub away any stray marks of paint. Remove stencil while paint is still wet.
Related: The Spookiest, Tastiest Halloween Treats
5. Arrange stenciled pumpkins on platters and cake stands, adding loose candy around the base.
-Karin Lidbeck-BrentRead More »from Skip the Carving! Decorate Pumpkins with Stamps
- Cheapism.com | At Home – Fri, Oct 11, 2013 8:49 AM EDT
By Elizabeth Sheer, Cheapism.com
Many college freshmen have little or no idea what they want to do with their lives after graduation. And stories about the vast numbers of unemployed or underemployed graduates, especially in these post-recession years, do not allay parents' anxieties.
Several studies, including one published in May by Georgetown University, point out that the choice of college major correlates with employment and earnings, which are both affected by economic cycles. Earning a degree in education, for example, may pave the way toward more job stability but lead to a lower salary than, say, architecture. Overall, students who confine their studies to the arts, humanities, and human services can expect to earn less than those who major in technical fields like engineering, math and computers, the sciences, and business.
Click through to find out what recent college graduatesRead More »from Which College Majors Pay the Least and Which Land You a Job?
- This Old House Magazine | At Home – Thu, Oct 10, 2013 2:39 PM EDT
Create spooky, funny, or off-the-wall Halloween pumpkin decorations without the danger that comes with sharp cutting tools. SEE ALL: 19 Carveless Pumpkin Decorating Ideas for HalloweenRead More »from Top 5 Carve-less Pumpkin Decorating Ideas for Halloween
Bloody Mini Pumpkins
Pumpkin guts may be orange, but these ghoulish mini pumpkins are bloody fun. Stock up on fun-sized pumpkins, coat them in white paint, and squeeze blood-red puffy fabric paint in their creases. See more horror movie-worthy pumpkin details on Almost Makes Perfect.
Wrap up this adorable little mummy in a cinch with a length of gauze and a pair of craft-store googly eyes. See the full pumpkin DIY on Canadian Nickel Scrap'n.
Furniture Nail Pumpkins
Grab the extra brass upholstery nails from your last chair makeover project and leave the hammer behind. Simply push the nails into the pumpkins' surfaces to create interesting patterns. Get a detailed view of all the pumpkin designs on Lovely Indeed.
Make your favorite fall flowers pop in a
- Astrology.com Home and Garden Horoscopes | At Home – Thu, Oct 10, 2013 1:07 PM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
People can think whatever they want about your baking, and they can snicker about your crafting expertise, but if anyone doubts your barbecuing skills you'll likely throw a fit. Your reputation is at stake this week -- show your guests how talented you are.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Harmony Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
A heat wave may have you feeling slower than a bottle of honey that's beginning to solidify. Despite your heavy limbs and sleepy head, you'll still, deep down, be excited to begin your new project. Just try to get the preliminary steps done indoors next to a fan.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Love Meter
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily Home & Garden Horoscopes -- Friday October 11, 2013
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
You may spend the entire day worrying about how to make the ganache frosting that will cover the chocolate cake you made last night. But when you pull out the recipe, you'll burst out laughing at how simple the process is, considering how you fretted
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST