1. Bright colors - that is, vibrant shades of green and blue, yellow, and orange - provide an expansive feeling. These are friendly, happy colors that encourage communication and are therefore especially welcome in the dining area and kitchen.
2. Dark colors, such as red, purple, blue, and dark shades of green, can have a constricting and gloomy effect. But when applied in the right place or as accent elements, they can help convey comfort and security.
Plus: The Meaning Behind the Color of Roses
3. Warm colors - orange and yellow hues, for example - raise the perceived temperature of a room. For that reason, they're best used in rooms that face north. Because they inspire activity, avoid them in rooms meant for relaxation, like the bedroom.
4. Cold colors, such as icy blues and green, have a calming effect. They are especially well-suited for bedrooms; they help you to go to bed relaxed in the evening and wake up refreshed the next morning.
Plus: 5 Bizarre Weight Loss Tips That
- Reader s Digest Magazine | At Home – Mon, Feb 6, 2012 11:33 AM EST
1. Bright colors - that is, vibrant shades of green and blue, yellow, and orange - provide an expansive feeling. These are friendly, happy colors that encourage communication and are therefore especially welcome in the dining area and kitchen.Read More »from The Psychology of Color: Changing the Mood of Your Room
- Gretchen Rubin | At Home – Mon, Feb 6, 2012 9:32 AM EST
As a result of my happiness project, I've become a sleep zealot. It's just so obvious to me-from reading the research and from personal experience-that getting enough sleep is a key to a happier life.
I've noticed something, however. I noticed this in myself, before I became such a sleep nut, and I see it in the people around me: most adults don't give themselves a bedtime.
Children have a fixed bedtime; we know they need their allotment of sleep, and we pack them off to bed when it's time. But many adults just go to bed whenever they feel like it.
The problem with this approach is that it's far too easy to stay up too late. The TV, the internet, your email, your book...these distractions keep you alert past the point at which you should head to bed. Many of us know we ought to go to sleep sooner, but we just can't manage to pull it off.
One suggestion: Give yourself a bedtime. Even if you don't actually go to bed on time, at the very least, you should know thatRead More »from A Secret to More Happiness and Energy? Give Yourself a Bedtime
these are some pics of me and my friends.
Large spaces in a home can be a difficult project to tackle.Read More »from How to Define and Design Large Spaces
As hard as it is to decorate and create space in a small area, it is equally difficult to take a large space and make it feel cozy. Add to that, the frustration of how to best utilize and define a large space and suddenly you see the challenge. Many people become overwhelmed with large spaces and after trying to paint and find ways to fill it give up. The key in pulling a large space together is to give the room a true identity or two. Yes, or two. Sometimes the best way to deal with large spaces it to make them multi-functional. The real problem emerges when you have a room serving so many functions how to pull it together in a cohesive way so that it looks less like a catch all room and more like a well planned and comfortable space to share. Read here for more information on how to get started: How to define and design large spaces.
- Ten Tips to Boost Your Self-EsteemIf you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment orsubscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Read More »from Ten Tips to Boost Your Self-Esteem
Electricity generation is a major concern for much of the world, since demand is rising.Hydropower is electricity generated using the energy of moving water. Electricity generated from water is entirely renewable, since water is an abundant natural resource and no water is expended during the electricity generation process.
Hydroelectric energy is one of many sources of electricity in the world. The future of hydropower is looking like it will still be used in the next century or more, because the world will still have running water and the need for lots of non-polluting energy. It is clean, non-polluting, and prevents floods. The world has built 45,000 large dams so far while Pakistan has built only two large dams with 7 per cent of world's irrigated area which shows our criminal neglect in safeguarding our life giving waters.
According to an estimate the present volume of all storage reservoirs with gross capacity of 5 cu/km and above amounts to some 4900 cu/km. Out ofRead More »from Time for Action on Dams in Pakistan
All. The. Time.Yarn for crocheting.
- Babble.com | At Home – Fri, Feb 3, 2012 5:13 PM EST
10 lovely Valentine's Day wreathsWho doesn't need a wreath for such a special and colorful holiday as Valentine's Day? While pink, red, and white seem like they would get tired quickly, there are no limits to creativity when it comes to wreaths. I love the "ruffles" of this wreath - they are actually cupcake liners! Do you want to make a Valentine's Day wreath of your own? Check out these ideas.Read More »from Let Your Love Open the Door: 10 Valentine's Day Wreaths
1. Love Frame
The framed graphic on this wreath adds a special touch to any front door.
Get the tutorial
2. Felt Heart
No special sewing or gluing required - just cut felt circles and pin them into a heart base.
Get the tutorial
3. Little Bunting
Wrap a wreath form using red, pink and white yarn, then add a mini bunting and flowers with felt.
Get the tutorial
Related: 12 ways to show your home love this Valentine's Day
4. Yarn Heart
Use colorful ombre yarn to wrap a wreath. Then add a hand-stitched burlap heart for a pretty finishing touch.
Get the tutorial
5. Pretty Doilies
Dollar store doilies make the beautiful base
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST