Though most American doctors aren't consciously trying to inflict Cesareans on their patients, the sad truth is that an untold number of Cesarean sections are performed mostly-if not entirely-for the convenience of the doctors. Normal vaginal childbirth is often a long, drawn-out affair. The average time for labor in a first-time mother is from less than an hour to significantly more than twenty. It's not uncommon (or unsafe if the baby and the mom are both tolerating labor) for a woman to be in labor for several days. As long as the baby is tolerating the labor, which can be monitored by checking the baby's heart rate once every fifteen minutes, and the mom is not exhausted, aRead More »from C-Sections: A Matter of Doctors' Convenience?
- A Cesarean section delivery is major abdominal surgery, involving risks to the baby and mother even when performed under optimal conditions. But there's a reason why the number of U.S. surgical births rises sharply before long weekends and holidays, explains author Jennifer Margulis in The Business of Baby.
- EVERETT COLLECTION/REX USA.By Dianna Mazzone, Refinery29
We've been oohing and aahing over braided styles of all sorts for months now. And, besides a little thing called seasonal appropriateness, we see no reason to curtail our obsession.
Thanks to one Zoe Saldana, not even the dark days of winter can stop our infatuation with our favorite warm-weather hairstyle. The actress makes her milkmaid braid work thanks to a sleek, smooth finish on her strands. elevating the bohemian style with a complementary smoky-but-subtle eye. In fact, her hair and makeup pretty much look like a match made in heaven. We're only left to wonder, which came first - the crown braid or the eye makeup?
RELATED: The Best New Hairstyles For FallRead More »from Zoe Saldana Makes the Milkmaid Braid Winter-Ready
Either way, considering our prevailing interests as of late, we're in awe of how Saldana managed to winterize our favorite summer hairstyle. You can bet we've saved this image in our hair-spiration folder. And that we may or
- By Michaela d'Artois, Refinery29
The upside to these low temps is definitely hard to foresee, but here's a quick tip for warming up on cold winter days: It's all about the legs, ladies. And, we count heavily on a particular two-footed trick - a trusty pair of tights!
Our favorite frocks and mini skirts will now be accompanied by the cutest, thickest, and most stylish hosiery around. Go crazy when it comes to cut-outs, patterns, and yes, even shades of gray. Seriously, these 30 picks make braving the impending forecast a (good kind of) breeze.
More from Refinery29:Read More »from 9 Chic Pairs of Tights
22 Under-$50 Jewels To Amp Up Your Wardrobe
How To Dress For YOUR Body Type! 15 Must-Know Tricks
24 Amazingly Affordable Shoes - All Under $100
12 Under-$50 Dresses To Show Off Your Legs This Fall
- Captain Jack Sparrow gets turned into a cake. (Photo: Tasty Cakes.)Johnny Depp is known for being a nice guy, and now he's a super sweet dessert.
Amateur baker Lara Clarke has created a ginormous cake in the likeness of Johnny Depp's "Pirates of the Caribbean" character, Jack Sparrow. We'd call the cake life-size, but at 5'5", it stands five inches short of the actor's actual height. Still, we're impressed!
Lara, who hails from the English town of Brownhills, baked this incredible cake for the Cake International competition. She's only been baking for two years, but has since attempted large-scale edible projects like a replica of Hogwarts, Yoda (with working light saber!), and even a Bible cake.
Lara is getting a lot of attention for her artistic cake talents - she was recently contacted by "The Paul O'Grady Show" to make a life-size Miley Cyrus cake to be presented to the star on her 21st birthday. Unfortunately, the singer pulled out of the show, so the gig was cancelled. At least she has Cyrus' sugary head to munch on!
More of the Good News:Read More »from Feel Free to Take a Bite Out of Johnny Depp
- RedditBy Emily Orofino, Refinery29
UPDATE: Looks like those rumors weren't just rumors: Urban Decay has released a video on their Facebook page teasing that the Naked 3 palette is indeed happening. There's not a lot of details in the video, other than to conifrm "it's coming," but if you look closely at the text of the Naked 3 painted on the wall, it matches the supposedly leaked photos we found on Reddit of the palette. Study those pictures carefully kids, because it looks like there's a chance they are indeed the colors of the new Naked. We'll keep you posted as we get more info.
We've been Urban Decay junkies for over 10 years now and have no interest in heading to rehab - even if the product hoarding is causing a major dent in our savings account. Can you blame us? The highly pigmented formulas? Those completely covetable Naked palettes? This love is REAL.
However, after poking around on Reddit last night, we areRead More »from Naked 3 is Coming, Urban Decay Confirms
- Refinery29 | Author Blog Posts – Fri, Nov 8, 2013 10:50 AM ESTRefinery29By Frankie Mathieson, Refinery29
Another day, another ridiculous weight-loss fad. And, this time, it's not a diet. It's a scent. We think it's fair to say that everyone likes to smell good, right? Wrong. A bizarre new product aims to deter would-be-overeaters with a pungent spray that claims to put you off your food. The catch? It smells so bad no one will want to come near you, either. Yes, Stink Yourself Slim has such a strong stench, it comes with a warning not to use it in public.
RELATED: 5 Easy Ways To Boost Your Metabolism Now!Read More »from A Scented Spray that Could Make You Lose Weight? We Call Foul!
The spray is the brainchild of London entrepreneur Alex Fontaine, who discovered a foul smell was the only way she could curb her constant chocolate cravings. So, Stink Yourself Slim was (air)born. In an interview with The Daily Mail, Fontaine explains, "Every time I felt tempted by 'bad' foods, I had a sniff. It was a bit like getting an electric shock when you open the fridge door. The revulsion gave me that extra push to say no." Daily Mail
- If you're like us, watching all those powerful runners (many of them actually smiling!) mincing through fall leaves and breaking through marathon finish lines can be incredibly inspiring to take up running. Whether you've been on a break or are starting for the very first time, these running tips from Running Like A Girl by Alexandra Heminsley will get you out the door-and to a healthy finish line.
1) Don't worry about distance
The important thing is that you're out there, you're running. It isn't important how far you go, how fast you go, or how you look. You can work on those things later if you choose to, but the key is to getting out the door and running. If you can get your shoes on and get moving, you're a runner. The biggest step has been taken.
2) Be practicalRead More »from 5 Ways to Overcome a Fear of Running
You can overcome so many fears by making some simple steps to avoid those worst-case scenarios. Get a route you know well, and know is safe. Find a short cut just in case you struggle or feel pain. Make
- We know, we know-there's no excuse for being unfaithful. Or is there? In his book The Wonder of Aging, author Michael Gurian shares controversial new research that claims some people may not be genetically or chemically predisposed to monogamy.
New scientific evidence over the last two decades indicates that we may have genetic and chromosomal markers for monogamy and non-monogamy. These markers may specifically control our dopamine-oxytocin link when we mate sexually and emotionally with a partner. It may work this way: for all of us, mating (sex and intimacy) activates genetic markers that connect our brain's dopamine-flooded reward chemistry with our sexual and emotional chemistry. For some of us though, those markers may only activate with a single partner once we find that partner. But for others, those markers and that dopamine chemistry may not activate with a single partner but continue to activate with multiple partners. Thus, you may marry someone who promises to beRead More »from Is He Biologically Destined to Cheat?
By Leah Bourne, The Vivant
Related Article: The 50 Best Food Trucks In America
Ingredients: 2½ pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes
1½ cups half-and-half
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
3 ounces white truffle butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Related Article: How to Make Homemade Mayonnaise
Directions: Peel the potatoes and cut them in one-inch chunks. Place them in a large, deep saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until very tender. Drain and return the potatoes to the saucepan.
Meanwhile, heat the half-and-half and butter in a small saucepanRead More »from How to Make Truffled Mashed Potatoes
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST