Blog Posts by Babble.com
- Babble.com | Shine Food – 53 minutes agoPeppermint whipped cream is one of my favorite things about December. True, I could probably enjoy it in July too, but it feels especially festive during the holidays. I don't remember when I tasted peppermint whipped cream the first time, I do remember thinking that my life was now complete. It's amazingly easy to make - just two ingredients needed. One taste and you'll be thinking of all the tasty ways to use it. -By Lindsey Johnson Read More »from Thanks a Latte! Peppermint Whipped Cream for the Holidays
- Babble.com | Parenting – 57 minutes agoBad reasons to have another babyWriting my last post about what not to say to moms with one kid got me thinking about my decision to have a second baby. After I had my first I was pretty sure I was "one and done." And by pretty sure, I mean not sure at all for one week - a week where I'd furiously Googled "Only Children" and found that most of the data points to only children being perfectly well adjusted, leading me to feel totally secure in my decision … for about another week. It wasn't that I was on the fence so much as I just kept switching sides of the fence. Until the day I was at my friend's house who had just given birth to a little boy. And I smelled that new baby smell. And suddenly I wanted another baby more than I'd ever wanted anything, like ever.
And that's how I became knocked up with twins. Well, that and about three glasses of chardonnay (but that was then). I was pretty freaked out because three kids meant a minivan and because at the age of forty by the time all my kids were out of diapers I'dRead More »from "To Fix Your Marriage," and 6 Other Bad Reasons to Have Another Baby
- In Defense of President Obama Funeral Selfie
Step away from the distorted perspectives from talking heads on 24 hour news networks, folks. Everything being reported about this "international incident" over the supposed President Obama funeral selfie (good LORD, people) is nonsense and wildly inaccurate and downright ridiculous.
First of all: it was NOT a selfie. Not at all. President Obama did NOT take that picture. It was actually Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt who snapped a selfie with her phone, and both President Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron leaned in to be in the photo, most likely at her request.
Secondly, this was NOT taken at Nelson Mandela's funeral. Nelson Mandela's funeral isn't scheduled until December 15th - you know, THREE DAYS FROM NOW. This particular event was a memorial celebration that lasted over four hours and involved a huge amount of joyous music and dancing, a much more relaxed occasion for everyone participating.Read More »from In Defense of President Obama's Funeral Selfie
This week Ronnie and I are teaming up to help singles around the globe… or at least the block! We've worked together to create two lists that will hopefully help you find the love that you need and the love that you deserve. Despite what some people say about wanting to find "the one" to settle down with, their actions don't match their words. What we've realized is that some people are actually running away from the person who is right for them for a multitude of reasons. Click through for 8 reasons men run from a good woman! -By Lamar TylerRead More »from 8 Reasons Men Run from a Good Woman
MORE ON BABBLE
How to survive the 7 stages of marriage
10 men ALL women date before finding "the one"
The 8 guys women are most likely to have an affair with
- Babble.com | Parenting – 1 hour 17 minutes agoWhy a Baby Girl Won't be the Cure for Britney Spears' Loneliness
Britney Spears is the busy working mom of two sons, Sean and Jayden. Her new album, Britney Jean, is out to mixed but mostly positive reviews, so she'll be promoting it for a while. She doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon.
But within a few years, Britney wants to have a baby girl:
"I would like to be busy the first couple of years, but then I would really like to have another baby, a girl," she said in an interview for InStyle's January issue.
"I think she would be like a mini-me. I think it's going to be crazy. I'm not going to feel as alone in the world anymore. I'm going to feel like I have a second person, like, that's me."
I understand the sentiment. I have four children. Raising them is fulfilling and gives my life meaning in startling ways. And I have to admit, there is something especially fun about dressing up a little girl. But having a child to fill something lacking is misguided. Children take. Parents give. That's the deal.Read More »from Britney Spears Wants a Baby Girl so She Won't Feel "Alone in the World" Anymore
- What I Want from LoveMy birthday happened recently. I turned 30 … something. I've got a beautiful 8-year-old daughter, a job writing and performing, and a cute little apartment in an enviable Brooklyn nabe. On paper, my life is perfect. And in reality, it's pretty good, too. But it's busy, and tiring, and sometimes lonely and overwhelming. I wish I had a partner, not just for romantic reasons, but because I'm dying for someone to be in my corner. To help me. To cheer me on. To be a part of my daughter's life. To make our lives better, not necessarily by "providing," but by helping to shoulder the burden and share the joys of everyday living.
I've been thinking for a while about publicly mapping out what it is I want from love and what I'm hoping for in a partner in a post like this, but it's embarrassing, you know? Admitting what you're hoping for, deep down in your heart, for everyone to see. I say hoping for, because I've never really been comfortable saying things like "I want." I've always sort ofRead More »from What I Want from Love Now that I Know Better
- Babble.com | Parenting – 2 hours 11 minutes agoWhy I want a present-free Christmas this yearDear Santa, I want a present-free Christmas.
This has nothing to do with naughty and nice lists. It just has to do with, well, stuff. My kids have too much of it.
We've gotten to a day and age where delayed gratification is impossible. We see something we buy it. A treat here for being good, a treat there because it's on sale. My kids have more toys than they could ever possibly play with already, Santa.
As we go through their Christmas list, I keep trying to tell my wife "No." No, they don't need more LEGOs. No, they don't need more sweaters. No, they don't need more transforming dinosaur car robots.
They don't need it because they'll get it for a birthday, for Valentine's Day, for a good report card. They'll get it because it's Tuesday. My kids have too much stuff because they get too much stuff.
My wife fights off my suggestions of a present-free Christmas saying there must be more than just one thingRead More »from I Want My Kids to Have a Present-Free Christmas — and I Don't Feel Guilty
- Babble.com | Work + Money – 2 hours 17 minutes agoListen, getting out of debt is boring, especially around the holidays. You see all this consumerism, and it looks so pretty. Then you look at your online statement and you want to cry. I know because a few years ago I paid off over $20,000 in credit card debt - and the holidays are tough! When you're getting out of debt, the best way to do it quickly is to live a life without frills. Cut everything except the absolute essentials, and put every single extra dollar toward your debt. This is what worked for me! Are you in this same boat? Or do you know someone who is blazing their own path toward debt freedom? Here are the 8 best gifts to give someone getting out of debt.
Note: Try to avoid giving cash. Sometimes cash is weird when you're getting out of debt, and there are feelings of guilt around it. It's better to give a gift card or something that forces your friend to spend on themselves.Read More »from Wants and Needs: The 8 Best Gifts for Someone Getting Out of Debt
-By Kathleen O'Malley
- Babble.com | Fashion – 2 hours 25 minutes ago'Tis the season for the little black dress! The holiday season brings lots of parties and get-togethers, not to mention colder weather that makes us all gravitate toward darker colors. The little black dress is a staple for many women and it provides such a fantastic blank canvas for creativity. You can add all kinds of different colors, patterns, textures, and shiny baubles to take your dress from boring black to casual, fancy, sexy, and beyond. Here are 7 ways you can accessorize your LBD for any occasion.
-By Kayla Moncur Read More »from Sartorial Stand-By: 7 Chic Ways to Accessorize Your Little Black Dress
- Babble.com | At Home – 22 hours ago
I'm a big fan of putting out the pretty, shiny fancy decor for the holidays, but it gets tricky when you have littles underfoot. While my four-year-old can now be more careful, my two-year-old is a bit more rambunctious. So I've had to find creative ways to decorate with my children in mind. Perhaps you have this problem as well? Never fear, I've gathered up some of my favorite Christmas decor for kids. -By Nicole BalchRead More »from 7 Kid-Friendly Holiday Decorations that Are Surprisingly Stylish