Workouts are inherently empowering. They make you feel great, they get your blood pumping and endorphins flowing. They leave you with tons of energy that makes you feel like you can conquer your entire to do-list and more. But certain workouts really push you to new heights and distances - and so far out of your comfort zone that you truly feel like you can do anything. Certain workouts build your confidence in yourself and improve not only your strength and stamina, but they totally change how you view yourself. If you've ever completed a distance event or met a goal you previously thought was impossible, you know what I'm talking about. That feeling of pride in yourself and your abilities and how powerful you feel is palpable. And once you have that feeling, you want it again and again. It's why everyone should have a fitness bucket list and always be working toward goals. But what if you don't have a major fitness accomplishment on the horizon or you're months away from anRead More »from 7 Empowering Workouts that Will Leave You Feeling Strong and Fit
Blog Posts by Babble.com
- Babble.com | Parenting – 8 hours ago
- Babble.com | Healthy Living – 8 hours agoThe Surprising Power of the Pain of DreadIn the immortal words of my Grandpa Holben (who himself was quoting Mark Twain), "If you have to eat two frogs, it's better to eat the bigger one first." I mean, how awful would it be to choke down that first frog and know that you still had to swallow one even bigger?
The folk wisdom of getting those most unpleasant tasks out of the way as quickly as possible seems not just to be folk wisdom, but to be rooted in our psyches. According to a recent study, researchers found that people preferred to undergo a painful stimuli sooner rather than put it off - even if it meant the stimuli would be more painful. The feelings of dread in waiting for something painful to happen are, apparently, more powerful than the actual pain itself. The study, published in PLOS Computational Biology, found that people preferred to get painful situations over with more quickly, even if it was a "more pain now, versus less pain later" type situation. The "pain" of dread was enough to tip the scales toward aRead More »from Study Shows the Surprising Power of Dreading a "Painful" Situation
- Babble.com | Parenting – 10 hours ago9-Year-Old Swim Champ Donates Trophy to Sick Rival
You'd think a 9-year-old swim champ would proudly - and rightfully - want to display his winning hardware for all to see. It's one thing for every kid who participates to get a trophy. It's a whole other thing to actually earn your trophy by winning.
Joshua Zuchowski, 9, from Jupiter, Fla., is one of the best swimmers in his state, according to local news channel, WPBF. That's no small feat, considering how many kids in the Sunshine State have access to pools, making the field arguably more competitive than in most other states.
He's part of the Jupiter Dragons team and took first place last weekend in a big tournament. The win, however, was a bit diminished in his eyes. That's because one of his biggest rivals, Reese Branzell, 10, of the Lake Lytal Lightning team, was lying in a hospital bed with a "mysterious bone infection" that has rendered him unable to swim for the past month.
"I miss Josh and I miss all the friends onRead More »from 9-Year-Old Swim Champ Donates Trophy to Sick Rival
- Babble.com | Fashion – 10 hours agoParty skirts dazzle and delight. They steal the show at every party. They make you want to twirl and they make you want to dance. I love the whimsy, the fantasy and the personal style moment you can have in a party skirt. They are right at home on New Year's Eve, or a number of holiday soirees this season, but you can also wear them year-round. Pair your party skirt with sequins or lace for the holidays now, and with a graphic tee or casual tank top this spring. Click through to see 8 party skirts that will make you want to dance!
-By Jeanette Scott Read More »from Twirls Just Wanna Have Fun: 8 Flirty Skirts for Dancing the Night Away
- Babble.com | Beauty – 11 hours ago'Tis the season of holiday soirees! Of wearing pretty party dresses and styling your holiday hair to match! From sleek, straight hair styles to soft and pretty curls, from sexy updos to romantic top knots, don't fret over what to do with your hair this holiday season - get inspired instead! I've collected some of my favorite pretty hairstyles that will help you do just that! Flip through these 7 chic and pretty options with step-by-step instructions and links to original video tutorials to learn how you can easily achieve them yourself!
-By Maegan Tintari Read More »from 7 Gorgeous Ho-Ho-Holiday Hairstyles to Rock This Winter
- Babble.com | Parenting – 11 hours agoThis post is written - half - jokingly. Looking for a sperm donor is no easy task, and trying to get pregnant with the help of assisted reproductive technologies is even more of a struggle. Sometimes you begin to lose your mind a little. Ideas that you know to be completely ridiculous begin to sound totally sane - because so much of the fertility journey is hard to comprehend, far-out ideas seem not so absurd. We've used up all the sperm of our first donor, which, by the way, took us over two months to pick out of the seemingly endless donor profiles. So, we're back to square one: finding a new sperm donor. You can't even begin to imagine how tough this task is. We've since thought of maybe using someone "known," and ever since our first conversation about it, I see sperm everywhere. Or, at least, potential donors in every random guy I meet. It's pretty outrageous how badly a lesbian can want sperm. Don't worry, the irony is not lost on me. This is my list of the 7 totally random dudesRead More »from Desperately Seeking Sperm: 7 Totally Random Guys I Almost Asked to Be a Sperm Donor
- Babble.com | Shine Food – 11 hours agoIf the holidays have a signature scent, I'd say it's the familiar, heartwarming fragrance of traditional mulling spices. During the holiday season, nothing beats the distinct smell of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. And while mulling spices are terrific in traditional holiday drinks like mulled cider or wine, they can also play a starring role in a host of other festive recipes. So this holiday season, spice things up and try one of these 8 warming, delicious recipes made with mulling spices! - By Elizabeth Stark and Brian Campbell Read More »from The Scent of Success: 8 Creative Ways to Cook with Aromatic Mulling Spices
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – 11 hours ago
But when I came across this blog post yesterday, I realize I had nothing on this woman.
Paula Rollo, a blogger and mother of two over at Beauty Through Imperfection, may just take the cake for the world's fastest walk down the aisle:
She said "I do" only 35 days after meeting her husband-to-be on their first date at Starbucks. Oh, and did I mention she was only 18? Or that her husband never actually officially proposed? The plot thickens, my friends…
So what in the world was she thinking? Was she completely crazy? Did the marriage work out? Does she have any regrets? Read on for an interview with Paula…the real "runaway" bride.
Can you explain more about how you both mutually decided to get married?Read More »from Meet the Woman Who Got Married Only 35 Days After Her First Date
This is a really hard point, because really,
- Babble.com | Parenting – 11 hours agoCan't We Just Leave North West (and Her Eyebrows) Alone?
Kim Kardashian cannot win. When Kim and Kanye West opted to delay releasing photos of their baby North West, the public (and the media) were up in arms that they took so long. And then when they did finally share photos of their adorable baby, this innocent infant got caught in the crossfire of celebrity culture.
The newest piece of ridiculousness comes after Kim Kardashian posted a photo of North West with the caption, "Smile." It was totally adorable. But not everyone thought so.
Comments on Kim Kardashian's Facebook page covered a full range of opinions and emotions:
"Ok her eyebrows are too perfect? Makes me wonder .."
"That baby has some major brows"
"KIM YOUR BABY IS UGLY…"
Yup, an all caps insult to Kim's baby, comments on cuteness, all sprinkled with lots and lots of eyebrow talk. Yes, eyebrow talk. This a fricken' baby and oodles of adults had the time, energy, andRead More »from Can’t We Just Leave Kim Kardashian's Baby (and Her Eyebrows) Alone?
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – 11 hours ago
Why I Would Choose Married Life Over Single Life Any DaySometimes it seems there is a war going on between those who are single and those who are married. Married people get frustrated by the way single people portray marriage (see the marriage ball and chain). And single people sometimes feel married folks rub in the fact they've found someone shared all their experiences.
Today, I am calling for a truce! Whether you are single or married, there will good things as well as bad things. You can be happy single, just like you can be happily married. And you can be frustrated and lonely when you are single, just like you can be frustrated and lonely when you are married.
I have the good fortune to say I have experienced both. I was single for 26 years. Of course, about the first 12 of those I had no real interest in a relationship. I've been married for over 12 years.
As I think of both the single life and the married life, I would choose married life over single life allRead More »from 6 Reasons Why I Would Choose Married Life Over Single Life Any Day