The Sex and the City series finale aired 10 years ago. Since the show ended, much has been made about the character profiles it introduced, the fashion trends it helped catapult, and the fantasies it perpetuated; but what's most memorable about Sex and the City - and what we should continue to celebrate - is its depiction of single women in society. The main characters of the show were represented not as lonely or broken but as smart, well-rounded individuals with full lives, great careers, and amazing friendships. Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte proved that whether or not you have a significant other, your friends can become your family - men come and go, but you can always be "each other's soulmates." The show's fashion and food references, as well as its brand of postfeminism, are still relevant in pop culture today. In addition to the fact that there have been two big-screen sequels, a spinoff series, TheRead More »from Why Sex and the City is Still Important, 10 Years Later
Blog Posts by POPSUGAR Love & Sex
- POPSUGAR Love & Sex | Love + Sex – Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:16 PM ESTPOPSUGAR Love & SexSource: Why Sex and the City Is Still Important, 10 Years Later
- POPSUGAR Love & Sex | Love + Sex – Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:03 PM ESTPOPSUGAR Love & SexSource: Find Out If He's Mr. Right Just by Looking at His Shoes!
We all know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover - but should you judge a guy based on his shoes? Although this might seem shallow, it might help you weed out the losers and bring you closer to your right match. What a man decides to put on his feet says a lot about his lifestyle, preference in music, and how much he cares about his appearance. So next time you decide to check out the stranger next to you, don't bother looking him up and down. Just look down . . . at his feet.
- Boat Shoes: This prepster might not be on a boat, but he wishes he was. He has multiple pairs of boat shoes to accompany his expansive polo collection. He's probably a fraternity bro and considers beer pong a legitimate skill. He might be a little pretentious, but he is a mama's boy at heart.
- Oxfords: Oxfords are always a visual delight. This man knows about fashion and what a quality shoe can do for you. If you get involved with
- Source: Handle Wedding Worst-Case Scenarios Like a Pro
There are wedding fiascos you can plan for, and then there are those that can sideswipe even the most OCD bride. Lucky for us, wedding planner Allison Silber, founder of Engaged and Inspired and cofounder of The Lab Event, has successfully dealt with many big-day disasters - even at her own wedding! She spoke with me about what to do ahead of time to prevent these worst-case scenarios from ruining your wedding and, in some instances, how to handle the unavoidable mishaps. So take a deep breath - what's the worst that could happen?
Worst-Case Scenario: The Best Man Makes an Embarassing Speech:
Pro tip: "For mine, my planner actually went up and was like, 'OK you're done,' and took the mic away, which I don't think happens that often. If it's really embarrassing and over the top or, in my case, I think he was probably way too drunk, you just have to cut him off and be done with that. Ahead of time, you just have to talk to him.
- Worst-Case Scenario: The Best Man Makes an Embarassing Speech:
- POPSUGAR Love & Sex | Love + Sex – Thu, Jan 30, 2014 12:39 PM ESTSource: 5 Ways to Personalize Your Wedding Eats and Sweets
The best way to make a good impression at your wedding is with standout food, drinks, and dessert. But it doesn't have to be flashy, as long as there's something about it that makes it uniquely special to you and your beloved. Using his professional experiences as examples, Four Seasons San Francisco Director of Catering David Robinson spoke with us about how to personalize your wedding dining experience and make it something your guests will remember. Get his advice now on how to inject some personality into your wedding chow.
- Get Spirited: "Concocted cocktails are very important to people. We allow the brides and grooms to actually do a tasting with our mixologist to design these cocktails, so it makes it more of their own. The darker liquors, the bourbons, the whiskeys, those are all coming into play after dinner. People are wanting to have a great bourbon, a great whiskey after dinner, and then go right outside on our
- POPSUGAR Love & Sex | Love + Sex – Wed, Jan 15, 2014 6:14 PM ESTSource: Exclusive First Look: A YA Novel on Hollywood and Two Girls in Love
A teen girl dealing with the suicide of her best friend, a group of high school grads sorting out their relationships on a road trip, and now YA author Nina LaCour is tackling a new topic in her latest novel: when two girls fall in love working in the Hollywood film business. The San Franciscan author of Hold Still and The Disenchantments spoke with us about her love of YA, the personal inspiration behind her novels, and how she came up with the themes for her next book, Everything Leads to You (out in May). Keep reading for the exclusive cover reveal and to find out who Nina could see playing the novel's love interest on the big screen!
POPSUGAR: What drew you to writing YA novels rather than adult fiction?Read More »from Exclusive First Look: A YA Novel on Hollywood and Two Girls in Love
Nina LaCour: I started graduate school thinking I was going to write adult fiction. I got an MFA in creative writing, and I went in with a lot of pages of this adult novel I had been working on, but
- POPSUGAR Love & Sex | Love + Sex – Wed, Jan 15, 2014 6:01 PM ESTSource: 5 Friendship Resolutions to Keep Your Relationships in Shape
This year, why not spice up your usual get fit New Year's resolution by strengthening your friendships instead? Everything's easier when you've got a loving support system behind you, so make 2014 the year of building positive, healthy friendships. Check out these five fun, fresh ideas for a friendly New Year's resolution you're sure to keep!
- Make time for those closest to you. It's easy to get wrapped up in your busy schedule, but adding some quality friend time to your to-do list is sure to bring out the best, most satisfied you. Pencil in friend dates at the start of each week to be sure you see the friends that mean the most. Can't seem to find the time? Do your errands with friends! Invite a pal to exercise with you, go grocery shopping together, or ask them to come over for coffee and tidy up as you chat.
- Remember the little things. Being a positive, supportive friend doesn't have to be a full-time
- POPSUGAR Love & SexSource: 8 Ways to Get Your Reading On in 2014
If you're hoping to expand your reading in the New Year, look no further than these book-related resolution ideas! Going beyond the standard "read more" goal, we're diving into some fresh, creative ways to make this your most bookish year yet. Can't seem to think of a meaningful resolution? Check out these fun ideas for inspiration to get your reading on in 2014! (And if you need some reading recommendations, we've rounded up the most promising books out in January.)
- Read at least one book each month. Reading is all about time, so to make books a priority, you'll have to carve a few hours out of your schedule every week. Make it a nightly bedtime habit - as second nature as brushing your teeth - and you'll find plenty of time to check out a new title each month.
- Keep track of the books you've read and want to read. Use Pinterest or a social network like Goodreads to easily organize the books on your reading wish list as well
- POPSUGAR Love & SexSource: Bad Dating Habits to Ditch in 2014
If you're looking for a fresh start in 2014, why not take this time to refresh your dating life? After all, the new year is always a great time to reassess your well-being. Here are some bad dating and relationship habits to swear off. And if you're taken, we've got some tips for you too.
- Tipsy texting. Give up those drunk dials that only make a hangover worse.
- Waiting for guys to make the first move. If you want to meet guys, you have to put yourself out there. Something as simple as a smile or flirty eye contact will do.
- Living in the past. Let yourself forget your failed relationships, disappointments, or mistakes. Releasing that baggage will make you more open to new experiences and people.
- Wasting time on a guy you're not into. He may be good on paper, but if you don't have the spark or see a long-term future, don't date him.
- Wasting time on a guy who's not into you. Ditch the guy who's sending you mixed
- Source: You're Engaged! The First 5 Things to Do
As soon as that ring's on your finger, the big-day countdown begins, and it's overwhelming to say the least! There are so many to-do lists, people to call, and appointments to be made, it's enough to turn a sane bride-to-be into a basket case. I know how scary it can be. Just days after my proposal I logged in to The Knot to see 100 things I was behind on already and 200-plus things I needed to do (and had a similar reaction as Kristen Wiig's character in the Bridesmaids trailer). So how 'bout we take a big breath together, and start small? I asked Ashlyn Carter of event planning and design company Carter & Cook Event Co. what she would start off with, and she had some helpful advice. With our combined efforts, here are the first five must dos for a bride-to-be:
- "Set the budget." This is huge, because it's how you'll know how much you can spend on every big and little detail, from the cocktails to the photographer. Talk with
- Source: Girlie Party Ideas to Get Into the Holiday Spirit
If you're feeling a little scroogey transitioning into the cold month of yuletide and mistletoe, get a little help from your friends. The best part of the season is spending quality time with the people you love - a sentiment that can get lost in the crowds at the mall. We've rounded up some of our favorite holiday party ideas fit for girlfriends that will have you ready to go door-to-door Christmas caroling (well, or something like that). Check them out below, and feel free to share your ideas in the comments!
Holiday crafting party: Have your favorite crafting buddies over to make some holiday decor. Everyone ends up with their own DIY project to dress their home, like this easy-to-make mason jar glitter candle or personalized snowglobe.
Christmas movie marathon: Grab some cozy blankets, gather 'round the tree, and get your Christmas movie marathon on! We especially love the oldies but goodies like White Christmas, ARead More »from Girlie Party Ideas to Get into the Holiday Spirit