By Dr. Mary Fuller | vetstreet.com
ThinkstockIt can happen to even the best pet owners. You turn around for one second and the dog is into the chocolate that was sitting on the counter, or the cat has discovered the Easter lily you thought was safely out of the way.
"We just don't realize how determined our pets are to eat the things they shouldn't," says Dr. Tina Wismer, DVM, medical director for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.
See Also: 6 Human Foods to NEVER Feed Your Pet
Of the more than 180,000 cases that the organization handled in 2012, most of them involved pets who'd ingested human prescriptions. "Many children with ADHD don't want to take their medications, so they leave pills on their plates, where pets can get at them," Dr. Wismer says. "Even nonprescription medications, such as ibuprofen, can be a problem because many brands have a sweet coating, so it's like candy for dogs."
As part of National Poison Prevention Week (March 16-22), Vetstreet has compiled anRead More »from Pet Poisons from a to Z -- 26 Common Items that Are Dangerous to Pets