Playing games is only ok if a board is involved
We get a lot of advice questions coming in at EMandLO.com, but sadly, we just can't answer them all. Which is why, once a week, we turn to you to decide how best to advise a reader. Make your call on the letter below by leaving your advice in the comments section.
Blog Posts by EMandLO.com
Playing games is only ok if a board is involvedRead More »from How Can You Tell If a Guy is Playing Games?
Obama campaign logo.Thanks to a majority of American voters yesterday, we're moving forward in the 21st century, not backward to the 1950s. At 11:15pm last night, the champagne was poured and "We Are the Champions" played on the stereo! Here are just a few of the things we all won:
- The preservation of safe & legal abortion
- Marriage equality in four new states
- Contraception coverage from health insurance
- Lower abortion rates
- Equal pay for equal work
- The continued existence of Planned Parenthood
- The first openly gay person elected to Senate
- The most female Senators in the history of Congress
- A moratorium on old, white, anti-science, Republican dudes who think pregnancy from rape is a gift from God
- The acceptance that health and life of the mother ARE legitimate reasons for an abortion
Gay pride flag.Our friend Nathaniel Frank is the author of the book Unfriendly Fire: How the Gay Ban Undermines the Military and Weakens America. He was an expert witness in two Constitutional challenges to "don't ask, don't tell," whose success helped end the policy. Yesterday he spoke on the phone with the parents of his best friend about how they were planning on voting tomorrow; he was moved afterward to write this open letter to them:
Dear X & Y:
We go back a long time, to the beginning of my college years. I've known you over half my life, and you've become like another set of parents to me. I've enjoyed sparring with you over politics at Christmas dinner, and I respect that you, X, have been a proud Republican all your life (for reasons that I understand, even though I disagree with them) and that you, Y, have prided yourself on being an independent voter.
I realize there are many factors that shape our decisions about whom we think should lead our country. No one person will fullyRead More »from An Open Letter to the Parents of a Gay Adult
- EMandLO.com | Love + Sex – Tue, Oct 30, 2012 3:11 PM EDT
Big cheesy grinRead More »from What Makes a Woman Approachable?
Advice from three of EMandLO.com's guy friends. This week they answer the following: "If we're talking about guys making a move on a stranger, what makes someone approachable?" To ask the guys your own question, click here.
Single Straight Guy (Nick): There are a lot of things that are fairly universal in this area: smiling, laughing, being energetic, talking to other people who are around, making eye contact. Most dating and courtship studies show that men will typically only approach a woman if there is a moment where the two make lingering eye contact. On the other side of that, when men DO approach a woman when no eye contact has been made, or if the eye contact is fleeting, he will usually be shot down.
If there is a specific guy that you want to approach you, let him catch you looking. When he does catch you looking, don't look away, allow your eyes to lock for a moment. Chances are he'll come over and say hi.
a vampire1. Get your blood work done beforehand and make sure you bring condoms: while the undead can't give you any STDs, infections you might have (especially blood-borne infections) can make for an unpleasant experience for your vampire.Read More »from How to Have Sex with a Vampire*
2. Don't eat any garlic for at least 72 hours beforehand.
3. Don't give blood for at least a month beforehand: you'll need all your reserves.
4. Remove any cross necklaces.
5. Avoid aggressive French kissing, lest you nick your tongue on their teeth (if you've ever bitten your own tongue, you'll understand how painful this can be).
6. Request that your biting coincide with an orgasm -- the rush of endorphins will help ease any pain, plus your increased heart rate will feel extra nice to your vampire.
7. Audible moaning to show you're enjoying this pleasure-pain is always appreciated by a vampire.
8. Make sure you pack a snack (like a juice box and cookies) to eat immediately afterward to help with any wooziness.
9. Expect to be kicked out before sun
- EMandLO.com | Love + Sex – Thu, Oct 25, 2012 10:09 AM EDT
Tina Fey, San Diego Comic Con, 2010We get a lot of advice questions coming in at EMandLO.com, but sadly, we just can't answer them all. Which is why, once a week, we turn to you to decide how best to advise a reader. Make your call on the letter below by leaving your advice in the comments section.Read More »from Your Call: How Can He Find Women Who Are Hot and Smart?
Dear Em & Lo,
About five months ago I broke up with my girlfriend of two years and have met someone new. The other day the new girl and I were talking about various things, ideas, etc., which led me to discover that this new girl is significantly dumber (like really stupid) compared to my previous girlfriend. My problem is that I'm really worried about having a relationship with her, because my ex was extremely intelligent. I go to a top school, I have a high IQ, and I value intelligence. I like to make fun of dumb girls. I feel really disappointed (since the new girl is hot, like a 9 or a 10, which I also value) and I know that my ex set a really high standard. Am I bad person for only liking girls who are extremely smart?
- EMandLO.com | Love + Sex – Wed, Oct 24, 2012 1:28 PM EDT
R2-D2Read More »from Wise Guys: What's the Best Costume You've Ever Seen a Woman Wear?
Advice from three of EMandLO.com's guy friends. This week they answer the following: "What's the best Halloween costume you've ever seen a woman wear?" To ask the guys your own question, click here.
Straight Single Guy (Chris): I once saw a nerdy Lisa Loeb-looking girl dressed in a full R2-D2 costume. It was elaborately constructed, included a drink holder, a bench to sit down, electronic beeping noises, and a glory hole. A GLORY HOLE. Absolutely amazingly nerd-sexy.
Gay Single Guy (Angelo Nikolopoulos of The White Swallow): By far, little Edie (aka Edith Bouvier Beale from Grey Gardens), complete with a sweater-wig, gold brooch, and crazy eyes. Which is to say, no straight man will go near you. BUT: all the gays will lose it over you on 7th avenue (so recluse chic!).
Straight Committed Guy (Johnny): Slutty Dorothy! On second thought, Slutty Native American! No, Slutty Tinkerbell! Actually, Slutty Zombie! Anything sexually provocative. Let your freak flag fly. Wear something you never