-By Mandi Johnson Read More »from Fur Real: 7 Things Every Cat Lady Needs in Her Closet
Blog Posts by Babble.com
- Babble.com | Fashion – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 1:48 PM EDTEmbrace your inner crazy cat lady while showcasing your love for kitties with some seriously adorable cat clothes and accessories. Even if you're not crazy for cats, you might like the idea of bringing a cat hat or tote into your home to stay. Check out my 7 favorite clothing items and accessories for fall and winter that showcase your affection for felines!
-By Mandi Johnson Read More »from Fur Real: 7 Things Every Cat Lady Needs in Her Closet
- Babble.com | Healthy Living – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 1:25 PM EDTnot bad at mathI am totally that person Miles Kimball and Noah Smith are making fun of in the opening line of a piece on The Atlantic that starts, "I'm not a math person." I'm an actor, a comedian, a writer; I'm not good at math. That's how I've always understood myself, anyway. But I'm also a decent musician, which means that I must have some ability to process mathematics, if I can understand quarter, eighth and sixteenth notes. An old friend of mine who was a double major in math and music in college would tell anyone who gave her a puzzled look about that combo, "Math and music have a lot in common."
So it turns out, I'm not inherently bad at math, I've just never tried to be that good at it. According to Kimball and Smith, it's important that parents like me decide quickly that we are "math people," because the "pernicious myth" of "inborn genetic math ability" is harming underprivileged children. "For high-school math," they say, "inborn talent is much less important than hard work,Read More »from Why It's Absurd to Say that Every Kid Should Process "High-Level Math"
- Babble.com | Fashion – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 1:18 PM EDTI remember the first vintage dress I ever owned. I was in high school, eBay was a relatively new phenomenon, and I loved trading hours of sleep for hours of looking through endless auctions listed as "boho," vintage dress," or "Sienna Miller dress-" because, of course, those were also the days of me reading celebrity gossip magazines. Well, in the heat of the moment, heart racing as the auction neared its end, I overpaid for an ill-fitting, barely-vintage-dress that ended up falling apart after only a few times out on the town. Since that fateful auction, though, I've become quite the vintage clothing connoisseur and a master at shopping for vintage clothing in stores and online. To save you the same heartaches I experienced when I fell for the wrong dress, I thought I'd share 7 vintage shopping mistakes to avoid so you don't have to learn the hard way.
-By Mandi Johnson Read More »from Pop Some Tags: 7 Vintage Shopping Mistakes to Avoid
- Babble.com | Work + Money – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:51 PM EDTI admit, I'm intrigued by Why We (heart) Vampires, what NBC is promising is a "collection of fun, comedic interviews accompanied by entertaining clips from our favorite vampire moments" to air this Friday, November 1, at 8pm EDT. This hour-long special will hold a mix of conversations with some of "Hollywood's greatest vampire experts," including author Anne Rice, True Blood's Kristin Bauer and Carrie Preston, Cassandra Peterson (aka Elvira, Mistress of the Dark), and James Marsters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I suppose if there is a time for a vampire show - even a funny one - it's one day after Halloween and one before All Soul's Day. Convenient week to celebrate the undead all around, right? So I got to thinking: Why DO we heart vampires? What's so compelling about an immortal figure that feeds on the blood of humans and maybe a rat from time to time? Let's check out the most iconic undead characters in television and film. There are a bunch, from Bram Stoker's horror stories to Read More »from Best Actor in a Bleeding Role: 7 Iconic Vampires from TV and Movies
- Babble.com | Beauty – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:43 PM EDTI had a lot of "A ha!" moments in cosmetology school. Learning not only how to create a certain look, but also WHY it works, really connected the dots for me and helped me become a better stylist. I still constantly think about all of the lessons I learned in beauty school and share that information with my clients. I've found that some people have really enjoyed learning more about the science of hairstyling. If you are a geek at heart like me and naturally inquisitive or skeptical, this post is for you. Click through the slideshow for 7 things that blew my mind in beauty school. - By Sonya Lee Benham Read More »from 7 Things You May Not Know About the Science of Hairstyling
- Babble.com | Parenting – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:28 PM EDT
Having heard stories about how expensive law school can be and coming to the realization that working while in law school was not a possibility, I decided to take a job working in an oil field the summer before I began law school. For those who don't know, the companies that work in the oil field have a lot of money. As in, more money than they really know what to do with, which means that many of the employees in the oil field make some pretty good cash while they're there. The trade-off for that big paycheck is that you have to put up with a pretty crappy atmosphere. My first week in the oil field was a real eye-opening experience. I had never been verbally berated before to the point that I hated everything about my job. After two weeks of working in the oil field, I was ready to quit. Thankfully, things turned around for me that next day, and I now somewhat miss working in the oil field. As destructive an atmosphere as the oil field was, I learned some lessons that I've appliedRead More »from 7 Things I Learned About Parenting While Working in the Oil Field
- I love me a garland. And an easy one? Well, that makes it all the better! Fall is in full swing, and I am getting all of my seasonal decorations out, but as usual, I need another garland or two to spruce the place up. One can never have too many garlands! Here are 7 really easy fall garlands you can create to make your home a little more festive this fall. I might have a hard time choosing just one to make from this round up. They are all so good! Take a look and have fun making your own!
-By Melanie Blodgett Read More »from String it On: 7 Pretty DIY Fall Garlands
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 11:55 AM EDT
I don't believe in being friends with my exes. Oftentimes, they still want to shack up with me. Other times, I just hate their guts for hurting my tender heart. But in this day and age, distancing myself from my exes isn't as easy. I can't just stop calling them or change my number. Because of social media, my ex-boyfriends can keep tabs on me and stay in my life … forever! Take Twitter, for example. Sure, I could stop following my ex on Twitter and block him from my account. But all he needs to do is go to my Twitter feed online. If my profile is public (it is, because of work), he can see my tweets even if I've banished him from the bird. Facebook is a bigger beast. I unfriended my ex, but we have mutual friends. So he can see when a friend likes my update, and I can see his comments on a thread if I commented on said thread. Oh, the complications that arise due to social media! But it doesn't have to be this hard. There are ways to disconnect (literally) from your ex. Let's get aRead More »from 7 Ways to Get Your Ex to Stop Following You on Social Media
- Babble.com | Shine Food – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 11:54 AM EDTHalloween's approach means many of us are about to be faced with more pumpkin seeds than we know what to do with. And while there's always a baking sheet with a little salt and oil (which is awesome), these fantastic, nutty seeds can be put to a variety of fun and interesting uses. From fresh takes on roasted pumpkin seeds to more surprising recipes like enchiladas and cheesecake, there are countless uses for leftover pumpkin seeds. Here are 7 creative roasted pumpkin seed recipes that show why your annual pumpkin seed surplus is actually something to look forward to! - By Elizabeth Stark and Brian Campbell Read More »from Gourd as New: 7 Delicious Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipes to Try This Halloween
- Babble.com | Pets – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 11:30 AM EDTWith Halloween approaching, black cats come into the limelight. I have always been partial to black cats. I love their shiny fur and striking bright eyes. And no, I don't worry when one crosses my path! As a bit of related trivia, did you know that in Europe many believe that owning a black cat is good luck? It is only when coming across one that the bad luck superstition sets in. For your Halloween viewing pleasure, here are 7 particularly striking photos of black cats. - By Carleen Coulter Read More »from Frightening Felines: 7 Beautifully Spooky Black Cats for Halloween