I've been thinking for a while about publicly mapping out what it is I want from love and what I'm hoping for in a partner in a post like this, but it's embarrassing, you know? Admitting what you're hoping for, deep down in your heart, for everyone to see. I say hoping for, because I've never really been comfortable saying things like "I want." I've always sort ofRead More »from What I Want from Love Now that I Know Better
Blog Posts by Babble.com
- What I Want from LoveMy birthday happened recently. I turned 30 … something. I've got a beautiful 8-year-old daughter, a job writing and performing, and a cute little apartment in an enviable Brooklyn nabe. On paper, my life is perfect. And in reality, it's pretty good, too. But it's busy, and tiring, and sometimes lonely and overwhelming. I wish I had a partner, not just for romantic reasons, but because I'm dying for someone to be in my corner. To help me. To cheer me on. To be a part of my daughter's life. To make our lives better, not necessarily by "providing," but by helping to shoulder the burden and share the joys of everyday living.
- Babble.com | Parenting – Thu, Dec 12, 2013 11:57 AM ESTWhy I want a present-free Christmas this yearDear Santa, I want a present-free Christmas.
This has nothing to do with naughty and nice lists. It just has to do with, well, stuff. My kids have too much of it.
We've gotten to a day and age where delayed gratification is impossible. We see something we buy it. A treat here for being good, a treat there because it's on sale. My kids have more toys than they could ever possibly play with already, Santa.
As we go through their Christmas list, I keep trying to tell my wife "No." No, they don't need more LEGOs. No, they don't need more sweaters. No, they don't need more transforming dinosaur car robots.
They don't need it because they'll get it for a birthday, for Valentine's Day, for a good report card. They'll get it because it's Tuesday. My kids have too much stuff because they get too much stuff.
My wife fights off my suggestions of a present-free Christmas saying there must be more than just one thingRead More »from I Want My Kids to Have a Present-Free Christmas — and I Don't Feel Guilty
- Babble.com | Work + Money – Thu, Dec 12, 2013 11:51 AM ESTListen, getting out of debt is boring, especially around the holidays. You see all this consumerism, and it looks so pretty. Then you look at your online statement and you want to cry. I know because a few years ago I paid off over $20,000 in credit card debt - and the holidays are tough! When you're getting out of debt, the best way to do it quickly is to live a life without frills. Cut everything except the absolute essentials, and put every single extra dollar toward your debt. This is what worked for me! Are you in this same boat? Or do you know someone who is blazing their own path toward debt freedom? Here are the 8 best gifts to give someone getting out of debt.
Note: Try to avoid giving cash. Sometimes cash is weird when you're getting out of debt, and there are feelings of guilt around it. It's better to give a gift card or something that forces your friend to spend on themselves.Read More »from Wants and Needs: The 8 Best Gifts for Someone Getting Out of Debt
-By Kathleen O'Malley
- Babble.com | Fashion – Thu, Dec 12, 2013 11:43 AM EST'Tis the season for the little black dress! The holiday season brings lots of parties and get-togethers, not to mention colder weather that makes us all gravitate toward darker colors. The little black dress is a staple for many women and it provides such a fantastic blank canvas for creativity. You can add all kinds of different colors, patterns, textures, and shiny baubles to take your dress from boring black to casual, fancy, sexy, and beyond. Here are 7 ways you can accessorize your LBD for any occasion.
-By Kayla Moncur Read More »from Sartorial Stand-By: 7 Chic Ways to Accessorize Your Little Black Dress
- Babble.com | At Home – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 4:00 PM EST
I'm a big fan of putting out the pretty, shiny fancy decor for the holidays, but it gets tricky when you have littles underfoot. While my four-year-old can now be more careful, my two-year-old is a bit more rambunctious. So I've had to find creative ways to decorate with my children in mind. Perhaps you have this problem as well? Never fear, I've gathered up some of my favorite Christmas decor for kids. -By Nicole BalchRead More »from 7 Kid-Friendly Holiday Decorations that Are Surprisingly Stylish
- Babble.com | Beauty – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 3:51 PM ESTPile the turkey high with a side of smokey cranberry… on your eyes! Pairing rich cranberry, sultry chocolate, and glimmering copper shadows make this a stunning festive look this holiday season! Whether you're headed to a cocktail party, company dinner, or even for a jolly night spent with family and friends, this cranberry smokey eye is perfect for any holiday occasion! Follow along as I show you step by step instructions to get holiday ready in minutes! -By Missy Read More »from Feisty and Festive! Get Holiday Party-Ready with Cranberry Smokey Eyes
- A couple years ago blazers had a bright shining moment in fashion bloggerdom. They were EVERYWHERE and I was smitten. I picked up a few blazers from Goodwill and a clothes swap hosted by my church and now I love to throw them on over just about anything. The blazer star has since waned a bit but I still think they are so classy and stylish. They add a little tailored crispness to any outfit and work with a wide variety of ensembles. A blazer is warm on its own but it also layers well, which makes it the perfect winter wardrobe staple. Here are 7 ways I have styled my blazers!
-By Kayla Moncur Read More »from Style Staple: 7 Chic Ways to Rock a Blazer
- Babble.com | Healthy Living – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 12:27 PM ESTWhen it comes to the holiday season, it's way more fun to think about the celebrations, gift-giving, elaborate meals, and time with family than to focus on staying healthy. Unfortunately, this is the time when Americans tend to gain the most weight. The average American gains about a pound or two year, with most of that weight gain occurring during the six-week holiday season between Thanksgiving and New Year's. The biggest problem with these holiday pounds is that people tend to keep that weight on, so a few years of holiday weight gain easily adds up to being a few pounds overweight. Nobody wants to miss out on the holiday celebrations to hit the gym, but there are still plenty of ways to keep that weight gain in check! - By Heather Neal Read More »from 7 Ways to Keep the Holiday Pounds Off Without Hitting the Gym
- Babble.com | Work + Money – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 12:26 PM ESTWith so many mega stars and character actors stepping into roles in animated films and TV shows, I am often running to search engines to find out who was the voice that sounded so recognizable. Celebrity voices in animated films are often surprising. (Don't even get me started on voice-overs in commercials!) I have sat in the theater willing the cast credits to appear faster just so that I could satisfy that mental itch asking, "Where do I know that voice from?" Celebrity voices in animated films are often surprising. (Don't even get me started on voice-overs in commercials!) I have sat in the theater willing the cast credits to appear faster just so that I could satisfy that mental itch asking, "Where do I know that voice from?" Here are 7 celebrities you didn't realize voiced your favorite animated characters!
-By Dresden Shumaker Read More »from Say What?! 7 Celebrities You Didn't Realize Voiced Animated Characters
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 12:21 PM EST
'Tis the season for giving and spreading some of that holiday cheer. One way to do that is to give the gift of laughter. I've rounded up one of a kind quirky "His and Hers" gifts for that special pair in your life via Etsy. Some of them will cause laughter while others will simply make those special ones smile. A select few might have them convinced that you belong on Santa's naughty list! These gift ideas, selected with couples in mind, are sure to please this holiday season and just might get a chuckle too! Click through for 7 fun and quirky his-and-hers gifts! -By Krishann Briscoe
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from 7 Fun and Quirky His-and-Hers Gifts for the Holidays