Blog Posts by Babble.com
- Babble.com | Beauty – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 12:37 PM ESTWe've all seen the commercials and infomercials: the next miracle beauty product is only a short phone call or website click away! But do these products really live up to their promises? I've read the blogs and watched the YouTube videos reviewing 7 popular "As Seen On TV" beauty products. In this roundup, I offer you a quick rundown for each, including price, product claims, ratings, and reviewer consensus. - By Sonya Lee Benham Read More »from Reality Television: Do "As Seen on TV" Beauty Products Really Work?
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 12:03 PM EST
Don't Get Married!Six years ago, comedian and actress Giulia Rozzi was just a young, single girl out on the prowl … except she wasn't actually single at all. She was getting married to her longtime boyfriend in Boston, but living half of her life on the wild streets of New York. Rozzi's marriage lasted only a year, and she's written a solo show that explains why called "Bad Bride," currently playing at the UCB Theatre in Chelsea.
I saw the production recently, and as a fellow divorcee, I could relate to a lot of the reasons why Rozzi's marriage failed - or was never meant to be in the first place. If you're experiencing any of the "cold feet" symptoms Rozzi went through before her wedding, you may want to re-think yours. Check out these 5 signs you should rethink getting married!
Rozzi spent the months leading up to her wedding traveling back and forth from the apartment she lived in with her fiance in Boston toRead More »from Back Up the Aisle: 5 Signs You Should Rethink Getting Married
Appliances are part of our daily modern lives and I can vividly remember the day we got our washer and dryer installed. I was nothing short of ecstatic! The major appliances in your home are expensive to buy and can be almost as costly to repair when they break down. A service call plus the replacement parts can blow your budget completely. The trick is that with only a little bit of know-how, and extra afternoon, and a little elbow grease, you can fix most of those minor issues yourself - and save a bundle! Click through for 7 money-saving ways to fix your own appliances! -By Anna Newell Jones
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from 7 Money-Saving Ways to Fix Your Own Appliances
- Babble.com | Pets – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 11:54 AM ESTThere is nothing quite as cute as a puppy… unless it's a newborn puppy. Their squishy lil faces, sharp pointy nails, and sweet faces are enough to melt even the most hardened heart. As pet lovers, many of us can identify a dog's breed simply by looking at him/her. But when it comes to newborn puppies, it can get confusing. While each is crazy cute, they are very similar looking, even deciphering a small breed from a larger breed can be trying when you are looking at photos. So we've decided to quiz Babble Pets' readers with this fun slideshow. Check out these adorable newborn puppies and see if you can name that breed!
-By Danielle Sullivan Read More »from Scooby Who? Try to Guess the Breeds of Adorable Newborn Puppies!
- Babble.com | Beauty – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 11:49 AM ESTI turned 45 this year, and after looking pretty youthful for a long time, suddenly in these last two years or so my age hit me like a truck. In my face. My skin suddenly changed dramatically, becoming much drier yet also more prone to acne. I've got the beginnings of age spots (OY). My eyelashes no longer stand up; they point forward making it look like I don't HAVE eyelashes. But worst of all, my makeup suddenly stopped working for me. I've always been a cheapskate when it came to makeup, buying all my stuff at the drugstore because it was pretty good quality and inexpensive. However, now that my face is a mess of fine wrinkles, I began noticing some problems. My eyeshadows - all typical sparkly type shadows - began falling into the wrinkles and highlighting them. Because my upper eyelid now droops a lot more, I'd end up with a shadow of my lash eyeliner on the lid - making it look like I had two sets of eyebrows. My eyebrows are thinner and patchy. And putting eyeliner under my eyes Read More »from Cleanse Your Palette: 7 Amazing Makeup Tricks for Women Over 40
- Babble.com | Healthy Living – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 11:48 AM EST
It's been said that we'll all get 15 minutes of fame. Some of us sit around and wait for those 15 minutes to find us, while others actively seek it. More often than not, however, those 15 minutes sneak up when you're least expecting it. Suddenly all eyes are on you and you may feel like a deer in the headlights - shocked, frozen, immobile - as if everyone is judging you right now.
That's the power of the Internet: everyone has the opportunity to be seen, but not everyone has the opportunity to choose how they are seen. Our power lies in how we choose to react when we are thrust unceremoniously into the spotlight when we least expect it.
Just ask Caitlin Seida, whose unflattering photo of her dressed up as Tomb Raider Lara Croft for Halloween went viral on the Internet. Seida is not someone who, a decade or so ago, would have had the opportunity to be seen by millions of people. She's not a movie star or an athlete. She doesn't have famous (or infamous) family - at least that IRead More »from Woman Uses Her Unflattering Photo to Fight Online Bullies — Just Don't Call Her a Role Model
- Babble.com | Parenting – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 11:47 AM EST
Parents are a weird bunch. We do weird things like sing goofy songs to make our children smile in public places and wipe their faces with our spit. Or maybe that's just me. Either way, I often laugh at some of the things I do now as a parent that I never would've dreamed of in my pre-parent days. There are definitely plenty of things I thought were gross/weird/annoying before becoming a parent that I don't even bat an eyelash at now. Here are just a few:
1. Saying "you won't understand until you're a parent"
Hearing this used to make me frustrated beyond belief, and I remember feeling so patronized when parents would say it. I have a background in child development and have worked with children in a ton of different capacities during the almost 10 years before I became a parent. I had been surrounded by children for years, so obviously I could understand the plight of parents.
So, about that ... it's totally true. You just don't know until you're a parent. I realize now thatRead More »from 8 Parenting Habits I Thought Were Totally Annoying — Until I Became a Mom
- Babble.com | Parenting – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 11:35 AM EST
If I could go back and tell myself certain things during my first pregnancy, I think I would have looked at the experience in a completely different way. I've learned so many things going through other pregnancies that I feel so much more prepared going through this one. Now that I have two little ones running around, this third pregnancy is completely different in so many ways. There is so much more to do and to get done, and hardly any time to really focus on the pregnancy like I did the first time. With very little time to sit and think about this pregnancy, I am taking the time I do have to sit and reflect on just how much different this experience is from my other pregnancies. -By Lauren JimesonRead More »from 7 Ways Pregnancy is Different when You Already Have Children
- Babble.com | Shine Food – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 11:27 AM ESTPumpkin Whoopie PiesI think we can all agree that Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends and food. And of course, giving thanks for all the blessings surrounding us… like family, friends and food. So aside from giving thanks for my healthy, new baby girl and loving, handsome husband; the generous, unending support of extended family (yes, even my in-laws); and friends that create the good times and outlive the bad, I'm thankful for pumpkin.
You read that correctly. I'm thankful for pumpkin.
There is no better time to be thankful for pumpkin than Thanksgiving, because, let's face it: As Americans, we can only eat pumpkin flavored things from October to December, so we'd better indulge. I know, there's traditional pumpkin pie, and the trendy pumpkin spiced latte, but what better way to say, "Whoopee for pumpkin!" than with pumpkin whoopie pies?
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Makes 20 Whoopie Pies and filling
Ingredients for PumpkinRead More »from In Gourd Company: Make Awesomely Autumnal Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Babble.com | At Home – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 11:24 AM ESTOne of my favorite ways to make a room stand out is with a few really great lamps. Not only do they add some very much needed lighting to your space, but they can also add a wow factor to a room that might otherwise be lacking. It's like a two for one! Lately I have been drawn to lamps that are unique, gorgeous and get the whole lighting job done. Here are 8 really pretty lamps that would be perfect for lighting up your home!
-By Liz Stanley Read More »from The Bright Life: 8 Pretty Lamps to Illuminate Your Home in Style