- If your eyes are your favorite feature, make them pop with a metallic liner. Try a sultry gunmetal gray liner over your normal black. A glittery eye pencil instantly glams up your eyes-use a combo of gold and silver in the inner corners of her eyes, a trick that makes eyes appear larger. Related: More Metallic Makeup for Your Eyes
- Gold eye shadow is universally flattering and really easy to wear. Rim your eyes with silver or gold shadow, and pair it with black eyeliner, a few coats of mascara and finish it off with a neutral pink or coral lip.
- Wetting the brush before dipping it in an eye shadow will turn up the shade's intensity. If you have a medium skin tone, you can get away with an array of metallic shadows from silver to green.
- During the holiday season you can
Blog Posts by RealBeauty.com
- RealBeauty.com | Fashion – Tue, Dec 28, 2010 10:57 PM EST
- RealBeauty.com | Fashion – Tue, Dec 28, 2010 10:33 PM EST
There's something about New Year's Eve that makes us feel like we're in our very own red-carpet moment. Maybe it's the glittery dresses, the cheerful spirits of our friends and family , or the champagne toast at midnight. So if you're hitting the town for your New Year's Ever celebration, here are our bold-makeup ideas to get you noticed amidst the streamers and glitter. Related: Click here for the makeup shades to go with your party dress.Read More »from 4 Easy Celeb-Inspired Smoky Eye Looks for New Year's Eve
The Zoe Saldana: A Black and Gold Smoky Eye
Start with an eyeshadow primer (try Urban Decay Primer Potion) to make the shadow pop against your skin and prevent it from creasing. Cover your entire lid with a black eyeshadow and blend with a fluffy eyeshadow brush up into the crease. Then, dust a deep copper shadow or a brown with gold glitter into the crease to add depth to your eyes. The more shimmer, the better! (It is NYE after all!) Next, you'll want to blend and smudge the shadows until you get that perfect smoked-out look. Apply a WOW!
- RealBeauty.com | Fashion – Tue, Dec 21, 2010 6:38 PM EST
We're all guilty of getting a little pluck-happy when it comes to our eyebrows. That's why we asked Real Beauty expert Hibba Kapil, hair-removal expert and the founder of Hibba NYC to give us her tips on getting the perfect pluck every time.Read More »from When Thin Isn't In: Easy Tricks to Plucking Your Brows
Related: Real Beauty's Complete Hair Removal Guide
Growing Brows Back In
The best way to grow in your brows is to not tweeze every time you see a stray hair. Brow tweezing should be done every two weeks, even if the tweezer is right there. If you've over-tweezed, put castor oil on your brows as that helps to grow hair. While you're waiting for the hair to grow back, you can color in your brows by drawing around them and filling them in with brow wax or an eye shadow a shade or two lighter than your brow hair.
Related: How to Avoid Breakout After an Eyebrow Wax
If You've Really Over-Plucked...
Jamie Yee of Kate Somerville Skin Experts in L.A.recommends using an angled makeup brush to fill in spare spots with tinted brow gel or powder. Brow pencil
- RealBeauty.com | Healthy Living – Tue, Dec 21, 2010 5:58 PM EST
Who doesn't want to spend an afternoon (or a weekend!) getting pampered at a posh spa? But indulging in a day of decadence at the hands of a pro can be expensive. Luckily, it's actually possible to re-create the experience - from the relaxing ambiance to the impressive results - at home. Here, experts share their best DIY moves.
Raid Your Fridge
Even the fanciest spas approve of using basic (and cheap!) ingredients in at-home treatments. For example, you can make a moisturizing face mask by mixing a tablespoon of honey with one egg white. Apply the mixture to your face and rinse off after 10 minutes.
Another homespun recipe: Mash a fresh pineapple or papaya into a paste and mix it with a bit of olive oil and honey. Apply to your face and rinse off after 10 minutes.
-Hefina Rees, lead esthetician, and Vicki Cairns, spa supervisor, at Silver Rain, a La Prairie Spa at The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman
Buff Your Body
First, turn your bathroom into a mini steam room (perfect forRead More »from 4 Easy DIY At-Home Spa Treatments to Give You a Reason to Stay Inside
- RealBeauty.com | Fashion – Mon, Dec 20, 2010 5:55 PM EST
Picking one skin care product is like picking one flavor at a Baskin Robbins, there are just too many options for your own good. We've taken the guesswork out of choosing the right product for your skin by testing the newest products this year. Take a deep breath and save yourself the stress of pacing the aisles with these amazing picks.Read More »from 4 Top Notch New Skin Care Products for Every Skin Type
Winner: GoodSkin Labs Exten-10 Instant Youth Boosting Moisturizer SPF 15
We admit, all that highlighting on the packaging makes this look a little bit like a moisturizer on steroids, but that's because they want you to pay attention to the facts. In just four weeks skin looks up to ten years younger when using daily and after eight weeks, fine lines and wrinkles become noticeably smaller and skin firmer. You don't need to read the fine print for these results.
GoodSkin Labs Exten-10 Instant Youth Boosting Moisturizer SPF 15, $39.50; kohls.com
Moisturizer for Oily Skin
Winner: Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel Cream
Oily skin, rejoice!
- RealBeauty.com | Fashion – Mon, Dec 20, 2010 5:42 PM EST
The holidays are looming, and that means the party invitations will be nonstop from now through New Years. Take your look from day to night with these incredibly easy one-step hair and makeup moves so you don't have to schlep your entire makeup bag to work with you from Philip Pelusi stylist and owner of Tela Design Studio by Philip Pelusi. Plus, check out party makeup to match your dress, once you've got your hairstyle perfected.Read More »from 3 1-Step Quickie Hair Moves to Go from Your Cubicle to Cocktails
Easy and Elegant Chignon
Skip the shower in the morning and instead, mist hair with a dry shampoo (one that won't leave behind a white residue like Oscar Blandi Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray, $11; sephora.com). Part hair down the center, on the side, or pull straight back and wear in a low ponytail. At the end of the day mist your ponytail again with dry shampoo and dry scrunch with the palms of your hands to create some movement and texture. Twist your ponytail loosely down to and around the base of your neck and pin into place. Don't stress
If you've increased your cocktail consumption this season (how else can you get through the holiday office party?), your liver and waistline aren't the only things that will suffer. According to Dr. David E. Bank, director of The Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic & Laser Surgery in Mount Kisco, New York, excessive drinking can mess with your skin in a variety of unattractive ways, including:
- Dullness: Excessive drinking leads to dehydration and depletes skin of vital nutrients, leaving you with a "blah" complexion. Related: 33 Tips for Amazing Skin
- Dryness: Alcohol zaps the body of vitamin A, an important anti-oxidant that is necessary for maintenance and repair of skin tissue. When vitamin A levels drop below normal, your skin will look dry and flaky. Related: Award-Winning Products for Your Skin
- Premature Aging: As mentioned above, increased alcohol intake can leave skin looking drier and less youthful. Plus, the loss of necessary vitamins and nutrients needed
It's one thing to exercise five times a week and watch everything you eat while you're trying to shed those pounds, but what's your game plan when you finally reach your goal weight? Here are six nutrition and exercise tips to help you simply stay in shape. Related: 10 Fitness New Year's Resolutions
- Change up your workout as often as possible. Just as your mind gets bored, so does your body. And when your body gets bored, it stops working as hard, and you stop seeing results. So, if you want to stay in shape, don't let your workout routine become stagnant!
- Try not to go more than two days in a row without a workout. Stay committed to the time you have put into creating your new body. If you let too many days go by without working out, you may slip back into old habits.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water first whenever you think you are hungry. Often times, hunger is mistaken for dehydration.
- Always have healthy snacks on hand. You will be less likely to buy
A friend who has been trying to lose five pounds recently visited Colorado for vacation. As most do when on vacation, she ate out every night, drank too much, and noshed on decadent desserts and snacks. When she got home, she hopped right on the scale to assess the damage. To her disbelief she lost two pounds! She immediately chalked it up to the few times she went skiing that week and assumed she'd see the weight back on in a couple weeks. She still hasn't put that two pounds back on almost three weeks later.[Heading somewhere warm over the holidays? Check our our fun water exercises to help you tone up before you come back!]
According to a 2010 Wired.com article, "Just a week at high altitudes can cause sustained weight loss, suggesting that a mountain retreat could be a viable strategy for slimming down."[Need to travel light? 18 Beauty Picks to Lighten Your Load]
In a study performed by researchers in Germany, 20 obese men were taken to a high elevation area (of 8700Read More »from Struggling to Lose Weight? Go on Vacation!
From Kate Gosselin's 20-hour makeover to Lindsay Lohan's R-rated manicure, this year was jam-packed with tweet-worthy beauty news. Here, some of the totally baffling trends that had us buzzing in 2010. Get the full list here.Read More »from 5 Major Beauty Moments from 2010
Lindsay Lohan's F-Word Nails at Court
What better way to prove to a judge that you're taking all of this legal stuff super seriously, than by writing "f**k u" on your middle fingernail? Yet, even with that unbelievable show of remorse for her actions, the mean old judge still sentenced Lindsay Lohan to 90 days in jail, a punishment that made our favorite felon burst into tears (three months without a flatiron and we'd be crying too). Maybe next time LiLo should something more like, "I heart you and what a lovely shade of lipstick you're wearing." Find some more appropriate nail trends here.
Heidi Montag's Plastic Surgery Addiction
There are bad decisions, like marrying Spencer Pratt, and there are bad decisions, like undergoing ten plastic surgeries in one day.