Read More »from How do I find a nice-looking radiator grill?
Question: I am having someone make me natural maple wood radiator covers. I have been looking for the grating/grillwork that goes in the middle to allow the hot air to get out. The only ones I have found to date are the cheap-looking sheets that are sold at Home Depot or Lowe's. Can you point me to a Web page or somewhere else I can check to find something that looks nicer? Thanks. -- Julie S.
Answer: There are a number of companies that specialize in custom-made radiator covers, in both wood and metal, with the grills already installed; these come with pre-painted or pre-stained options. A company that I have had good luck with in the past for my own use is Monarch Custom Radiator Enclosures (www.monarchrad.com or call (201) 507-5551). It carries about a dozen styles, from basic grill work designs to enclosures that incorporate bookcases. The covers are made of steel (which is more efficient for heat transfer) and come in many different colors. You might want to consider using a
Blog Posts by Country Living
Read More »from How do I find a nice-looking radiator grill?
HOW-TO:See more Halloween party favor ideas here.
Personalize galvanized buckets with adhesive or rub-on letters for a Halloween table. Fill with treats for guests to take home at the end of the party.
Homemade Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids
Halloween Sweets & Treats
Simple Halloween Crafts
Medieval Halloween Party for Kids
Limited Time Offer - Order Country Living & Save up to 81%
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.Read More »from Halloween Candy Party Favors
What better way to commemorate any event than with a traditional made-from-scratch layer cake?
Our recipes, toothsome slices of the great American home-baking tradition, include such memory makers as a light-as-air Coconut Cloud Cake, a rich and buttery Maple Walnut Cake, and banana cake, a beloved standby, jazzed up here with an unexpected coating of caramel. Have your layers berry topped, lemon filled, or chocolate frosted: Every homemade cake captures nostalgia and creates new memories. Keep the kitchen pace leisurely and savor the activity--you can even prepare the layers one day and assemble them with filling and frosting the next. All the foods you make for your family represent a heartfelt gesture, but a layer cake, lavished with extra time and care, is a true declaration of devotion.
Get the Recipes:
Read More »from Scrumptious Layer Cakes
1. Switch out standard hardware on vanities and medicine cabinets with antique-look knobs. Glass knobs, whether clear or in colors like depression-glass green or pink; porcelain; bone; and cast-iron knobs can all give a vintage flavor to a bath. Left: All from Anthropologie.Read More »from Easy Ways to Update a Bathroom
2. Install a shelf. Add storage and style with the introduction of a pretty wall-mounted shelf. The Antiquated Metal Enamel Laundry Shelf from Vagabond Vintage features a trio of cups to organize assorted small toiletries such as cotton balls or swabs, or cosmetics. Good sources for country-style shelves: When I Was Your Age; American Retold; Ballard Designs.
3. Have fun with tile. A highly practical surface of the bath, tile adds color, pattern, and texture in hundreds of beautiful ways. Like a patchwork quilt, remainder, sample, and sale tiles were "patched" together to cover the walls of a shower stall for an affordable route to a knockout custom look.
For more ideas, try reading Country Living Easy
Thinking of giving your bathroom a quick face lift? Choose your decor from six of our favorite interior styles.Read More »from 6 Styles for Your Bathroom
No. 1: Architectural
The rough-hewn wall of this 1825 house was left exposed, to reference the home's history. Placing a vintage footed tub in front of the wall makes it a focal point. Painted floorboards and old-fashioned brass floor-mounted plumbing (try California Faucets) complete the authentic feeling.
No. 2: Traditional
Blue and white gain new freshness and grandeur in St. Antoine wallpaper in BP948 by Farrow & Ball. The symmetrical arrangement of the sinks and cabinets by A-Ball brings order to a small space. Minwax stain was applied for the bold diamond pattern on the floor.
No. 3: Rustic
Natural wood, rugged plaster walls, and antique furnishings adapted for the bath conjure the ambiance of a Tuscan farmhouse and also offer a way to minimize the appearance of fixtures. An old dresser is retrofitted as a vanity, and a tall bookcase stows extra items. Wrought-iron
What you'll need:
1. CLUSTERS of fresh oak leaves, plus seasonal elements such as rose hips and pinecones, and ribbon.
2. WREATH BASE of wire, vine, or straw.
3. TOOLS: floral wire, waxed green floral twine, a wire cutter, and scissors.
1. Attach a loop of floral wire to the wreath form for hanging.
2. Secure leaf clusters to the form by wrapping twine around stems with an overlapping motion, adding new clusters to conceal twine with each pass.
3. Accent with wired clusters of rose hips, pine cones, or tiny bottle gourds. Add ribbon.
IN A HURRY?
Enjoy the wreath without the work. Purchase a fresh oak leaf wreath that is ready to hang, or embellish it with your own gatherings. Pacific Coast Evergreens; (415) 781-4274.
For more easy-to-make seasonal wreaths, keep reading DIY Wreath Ideas.
Related Articles from Country LivingRead More »from DIY Oak Leaf Wreath
Picking pumpkins has never been more pleasing. Nestled in luscious fields of honey buttercream, these marzipan marvels are sure to inspire furtive samplings. Plant a patch on the tired cake before serving.Read More »from Pumpkin Patch Cake
This towering pumpkin patch begins as three Pumpkin Spice cakes in graduated sizes, with three generous layers of Honey and Spice Buttercream that escape temptingly toward the tiers' edges. The pumpkins and leaves, both made of tinted marzipan, needn't be perfect to be appreciated, so invite young helpers to assist.Â
Divide marzipan into three batches. With food coloring, tint one green and one orange; leave one natural. For mottling, combine batches. Roll pumpkin spheres, scoring lobes with a skewer. Cut leaves with mini cutters.
Pumpkin Spice & Pecan Cake
Honey & Spice Buttercream Frosting
See how to make a pumpkin-shaped cake drizzled with icing here.
DIY Costume Ideas for Kids
Festive Halloween Cakes - Mini Pumpkins, Cobwebs, and Cat Cake