By GalTime Parenting Pro Michele Borba, Ed.D.
Every two years the Josephson Institute conducts a nationwide survey of high school students called Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth. More than 43,000 students were involved in the latest poll comprising about 100 high schools - both private and public. The results are dismal.
- Cheating is rampant in schools, and is only getting worse.
- A majority of students (59 percent) admitted cheating on a test during the last school year with 34 percent doing it more than two times.
- One in three say they used the Internet to plagiarize an assignment.
- One in three boys and one in four high school girls say they stole from a store over the last year.
- Moreover, 21 percent admit they stole something from a parent or relative; 18 percent say they stole from a friend.
- While 92 percent of students believe their parents want them to do the "right thing," eight out of ten say they lied to their parents about something