Valentine's Day can go from cute to cheesy with one ugly stuffed animal, yet most couples agree they should do something for it. If restaurants are too expensive or too booked and chocolate sounds trite - albeit delicious - here are eight other ways to celebrate Valentine's Day.
- Watch the first movie you saw together: Rent it, download it, whatever. It's nostalgic, charming, and cheap.
- Go straight to dessert: If dinner at your choice restaurant is too expensive, go there anyway but only for dessert.
- Make a mix: It may be the oldest cheap trick in the book, but a playlist is thoughtful, fun, and free. Try 8tracks and Playlist to create easy - and legal - mixes.
- Get thrifty: Head to thrift stores for something only he'll love.
- Make a day of it: Feb. 14 is on Sunday this year, so put the emphasis on day instead of night. Play boardgames, order takeout, and stay in bed all day.
- Surprise him with concert tickets: While this may not be