Source: 10 Smart Ways to Remember Things
If you've got too much on your plate, chances are you'll start forgetting things you need to do. Fortunately, there are plenty of tricks when it comes to remembering things. Here are a couple of them:
1. Tying a string around your finger. You can go the old-fashioned route and tie a string around your finger to remember something. Having a string on your finger is something out of the ordinary and will cause you to reflect back on the reason you tied on the string, which will then help you recall what you wanted to remember more easily.
2. Physical Post-it notes. If you want to remember a task, write it down on a Post-it note and stick it somewhere visible or someplace you know you're going to check regularly.
3. Digital sticky notes. If you're always on your computer, perhaps it's better to use digital sticky notes such as the Stickies app, which lets you leave notes on your desktop. You'll be saving paper and you'll have a less messy desk.
Blog Posts by POPSUGAR Smart Living
Source: 10 Smart Ways to Remember ThingsRead More »from 10 Smart Ways to Remember Things
- POPSUGAR Smart Living | Work + Money – Tue, Mar 20, 2012 6:35 PM EDT
Source: 8 Things You Should Never Do When Leaving Your JobRead More »from 8 Things You Should Never Do when Leaving Your Job
I'm sure I wasn't the only one glued to the scathing op-ed piece that Greg Smith, a Goldman Sachs executive who just left the firm, wrote in The New York Times calling his former place of employment "toxic and destructive." One might argue that Smith is doing the public a service by pressuring the investment bank to step up to the plate and improve its moral standards. But in most circumstances, it's generally advisable not to air dirty laundry and grievances. Read on for eight things you shouldn't do when moving on from your job.
Act on impulse. If you're going to announce something publicly, you might want to wait a little to cool off. Oftentimes, emotion can cloud our decision-making and we end up doing things we regret. Give it a while to stew over and let it soak. If you still believe that making a certain move is the right decision in your case, you can do so in good confidence that you have thought things out
- POPSUGAR Smart Living | Work + Money – Tue, Mar 20, 2012 6:06 PM EDT
Source: 9 Items a Forgetful Person Must Keep in the Office
I used to constantly forget to charge my phone overnight and would spend my day furiously switching my cell on and off just to conserve battery. That's until I bought another charger to leave in the office. I know that some of you with superhuman memories don't have this problem, but for my forgetful peers, here is a nice list of things you should keep in the office . . . just in case!
- All Types of Chargers: Keep an extra set of chargers, be it phone or computer or some gadget you can't do without, at your office. This is so you won't beat yourself up over forgetting to charge your electronic devices the night before. You can alternatively choose to leave another fully charged battery at the office, but it seems like the chargers are generally way cheaper!
- Feminine Products: It's the time of the month, but you keep forgetting to bring some feminine products to work. If the office bathroom doesn't have a
SavvySugarSource: 5 Signs You're Burned Out
As savvy, young business women, we're constantly on the go, but sometimes too much hard work can lead to signs of burning out. These telltale signs are your body's way of trying to get you to slow down and pay attention. It's a new month, so do yourself and your workplace a favor by taking heed to avoid a total meltdown. These five solutions will have you back on your feet and feeling back to normal in no time.
You Are Always Late:
The problem: You worked late last night, so it was difficult to get up when your alarm clock sounded in the morning. Next thing you know, you're scrambling and usually arrive late.
The solution: Even if your company is in its busy season (with long overtime hours), try to get out of the office at a reasonable hour. Or talk to your boss about creating a rotating schedule, so the company is covered at all times without you having to work a crazy 12-hour-plus day.
- Your Desk Is a
- You Are Always Late:
Source: Can You Cash in on Facebook's $5 Billion IPO?Read More »from Can You Cash in on Facebook's $5 Billion IPO?
Everyone's buzzing about the Facebook IPO, and after hearing about how many billionaires and millionaires the IPO will create, you might think that it's your chance to make money off this cash cow. But first, you need to educate yourself.
What's the deal about IPOs? Facebook used to be a private company, which means its shares were not sold to the public. Once a firm goes public, it's on the stock market and it sells a part of itself to outside investors who can afford it. The term for going public is also known as an IPO or initial public offering.
Why would a company go public? A company that sells shares to outside investors can stand to raise a lot of money. Current estimates of the Facebook IPO are at $5 billion. Companies can do a lot with the capital raised - they can use it to pay down long-term obligations, fund new opportunities, and even acquire competitors. Further, initial private investors who wish to exit can now
Source: The Pros and Cons of Office Romance
Dating a co-worker can be a thrilling and wonderful thing - that is until the relationship falters. Here are seven pros and cons of dating (and breaking up with) a co-worker so you know what to expect before you decide to get involved. Dating a co-worker can be a thrilling and wonderful thing - that is until the relationship falters. Here are seven pros and cons of dating (and breaking up with) a co-worker so you know what to expect before you decide to get involved.
Pro: Forbidden love can be hot and passionate.
Con: You might have to keep your relationship a secret from co-workers. If the office does find out, it can quickly turn into a awkward situation, and if you do eventually break up, it can become even more unpleasant and humiliating.
Pro: You have an insider's understanding of their work ethic and how they communicate with others. You can talk openly and honestly about current projects or co-workers.
- Pro: Forbidden love can be hot and passionate.
Source: How to Avoid Awkwardness When the Bill Arrives
When you're dining out with friends and the check arrives, things can turn uncomfortable quickly. Is the tip included? Should the cost be divided evenly? Some people just ate appetizers, some people just had drinks, and only a handful brought cash - what do you do? Follow these quick tips to keep things pleasant when the bill appears.
- Make a date with the ATM. Unless you regularly keep cash in your wallet, you should always stop at the ATM before meeting up with a group. Some restaurants are picky about charging multiple credit cards, so think ahead and stop by the bank before any group get-togethers. Better yet, buy something to break all those $20 bills.
- Communicate early. As soon as everyone is settled in and preparing to order, initiate a casual conversation about their bill expectations. Find out whether your friends plan to order appetizers, full meals, or just drinks, then talk about tip options and come to a
Source: Office Etiquette: Going Out to Lunch
If you regularly go out to eat during your lunch hour, there are some basic dos and don'ts that you should keep in mind. We've already covered the etiquette basics for bringing your lunch to work, but if you prefer buying your lunch to packing it, stay professional and mind your manners by following these tips.
- Communicate your whereabouts. When you plan to leave the office for lunch, let your co-workers know how long you'll be gone - especially those who report to you. Leave a note on your desk or update your IM status to keep your officemates in the loop.
- Steer clear of cliques. Lunch dates are a great way to build friendly relationships with your co-workers, but don't be exclusive with the invites. Try to include different people - even those in other departments - to avoid playing favorites. Even better? Ask the new girl to join to help her feel welcome.
- Stick to nearby neighborhoods. There's no need to travel
SavvySugarSource: 6 Winter Date Ideas That Won't Break the Bank
Winter weather offers a great opportunity for cozy, creative dates, so we've come up with fun, inexpensive options to keep your social life humming no matter how low the temperature dips. Take a break from the classic dinner-and-a-movie routine with one of these original ideas.
- Hit the Lanes: Keep things fun and flirty with a trip to the bowling alley. Not the best athlete? Laugh it off when your ball falls into the gutter. Known for scoring strikes? Make a bet: winner picks the next date plan. Play a round or two by yourselves, then invite friends to join you for some extra games.
- Try a Tasting: Visit a local brewery and enjoy a beer tasting for two. Order a flight of beers and rank your favorites. Make a mental note of which one he likes best and surprise him with a bottle of it the next time you meet up.
- Connect in the Kitchen: Try taking a cooking class to learn new recipes that you can test together
Source: 7 Tips to Wake Up and Get Out of Bed Fast
You're late to work, again. No matter how much you reason with yourself, your lateness is probably due to the fact that you couldn't get out of bed. It's always unpleasant to drag yourself out of bed, so here are some tips to help you wake up alert and get you out of bed quickly:
- Assess your health. Your drowsiness in the morning might be health-related. Perhaps you need a better diet and exercise plan or maybe you have sleep apnea. If you've been doing everything right, go to a doctor for an expert opinion.
- Coffee on your bedside table. This is for extreme cases, but leaving some coffee or another caffeinated drink like Mountain Dew on your bedside table might be a good way to get yourself out of bed.
- Place your alarm clock strategically. If you place your alarm clock across the room or outside your door, this might force you walk to the clock to shut it off.
More from SavvySugar: Fresh Start Resolution: Read More »from 7 Tips to Wake Up and Get Out of Bed Fast