Blog Posts by Piper Weiss, Shine Staff
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Fashion + Beauty – Fri, Feb 15, 2013 5:27 PM ESTfree-for-all caption contest kicked off with a dog, his tutu, and our deepest sympathies. After a slew of killer submissions and much deliberation we've decided on this week's winning entry. Thanks to Shine reader Cindy Triplett for saying what this poor pet could not.This past Monday, our weekly
So you want to make a playlist for your Valentine. Make sure you do your research: some songs with the sweetest titles are truth bombs on closer listening. From the controversial to the just plain wrong, here are 10 romantic hits that will totally kill the mood. --Piper Weiss, Shine Staff
Sean needs more sunblock. St. Croix has great shopping. The show's resident "crazy" got the boot. And now hometown dates are so close you can almost taste them. Big things happened on Monday night's episode. In the meantime, here are some of the little things you might have missed.
Read More »from The Bachelor Week Six: 12 Things You Didn't See
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Fashion – Mon, Feb 11, 2013 2:58 PM EST
We know you can do better than that.Read More »from Caption This: Dog With A Pink Feather Cape Needs Your Help Describing His Personal Hell
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Fashion – Sun, Feb 10, 2013 11:40 PM EST
The buzziest new model at New York Fashion Week is a four-year-old covered in fur. Designer Tracy Reese sent a live cat, named Lily, down the runway on Sunday at New York Fashion Week. It was a first for fashion and for the feline community. As you'd imagine, it took a lot of planning and not a little backstage drama to break that cat-based glass ceiling. Here's a look at how it all went down.
--Piper Weiss, Shine StaffRead More »from Cat Makes Runway Debut at New York Fashion Week. Totally Deserves a Treat
Namaste Adam Levine. (Photo by Eric Ray Davidson/Details) Poor Adam Levine. He's pretty, rich, business-minded and not at all rock and roll. There's no tribal tattoo on the planet that can obscure the fact that he writes love songs for mom's car when she's picking you up from the train. But look, he's good at it. He's also good at coaching reality show competitions and translating his pop star status into lucrative cross-branding opportunities. But Levine wants more. He wants to be taken seriously.Read More »from Adam Levine: Ridiculous Man
That's a tall order from a rock star who tweets about his Macy's fragrance.
Because before he had his own fragrance he was making fun of people who did. Remember when he called celebrity perfumes a sin "punishable by death"?
Because he has an interior design philosophy: "Furnishing a home is no different than going into the studio and making music," Levine told Architectural Digest. "You want to make sure you've pared down all the extra
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Fashion – Mon, Feb 4, 2013 3:54 PM EST
If France really wants to remain a leader in the fashion industry, they should consider wiping out a law that makes their country seem like it's trapped in the 1800s. A vintage 19th century law banning women from wearing pants (unless they're riding a bike or a horse) has been kept on the books to this day. Despite protestations of women's rights groups, lawmakers have preserved the outdated Parisian rule as a kind of homage to history. Even if the no-pants law isn't practiced in Paris, it's shocking that it's even in an issue in a country where women practically invented the elegant lady-pant. Do you think the following street-style models posing outside Paris Fashion Week had any idea they were breaking the law? Probably not, but their pants still made a statement.Read More »from 8 Illegal Pairs of Pants: How Fashion Insiders Break Paris' Sexist No-pants Law
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Beauty on Shine – Wed, Jan 30, 2013 3:12 PM EST
lady B has provided plenty of reasons to get excited for a game where a bunch of people throw a ball and then stop and then throw a ball again. For all my fellow football non-fans out there, here are five good reasons to get excited for the big game, courtesy of Beyonce's personal photo blog.This Sunday marks BeyonceBowl. I haven't been this excited for a football game since the New Kids on the Block played the SuperBowl half-time show in 1991. This past week the
1. Beyonce's game day social updates. She's been sharing rehearsal photos on her blog all week, so she'll probably update her site with backstage photos on the big day too. Want to know how a performer's dressing room compares to the players' locker room? This is your chance.(iambeyonce.com)
2. An all-woman horns section. Beyonce's band has three brass ticklers, and not a one is named David Sanborn.3. Lots of inspiration for your next "sexy" Halloween costume. Sexy ref! How did we never think of that? This is the promo photo for Read More »from 5 Reasons We're Excited for the SuperBowl, nay, BeyonceBowl
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Pets – Wed, Jan 30, 2013 10:23 AM EST
A gang of hooligans. (ThinkStock Photos)
Cats are having a Britney Spears moment. After a few years of being the hottest thing on the Internet, they're now being blamed for everything wrong in the world.
Why is everyone hating on cats? Some guy in New Zealand wants them banned from his country. Some other guy in England says they're destroying the planet. And now a study in the U.S. has earned cats the title of "cold blooded killers."
All because--get this--cats kill birds. We already knew this from cartoons. The shocking thing here is that cats are much better at getting the job done than we realized. Our massive street cat population may be responsible for wiping out up to 3.7 billion birds a year--that's 15 percent of the country's bird population, according to research published Tuesday in the scientific journal Nature Communications. On a grand scale that could cause a damaging environmental ripple effect.
One solution is to lock the roaming street cats up and cut down on the 80 million wild felinesRead More »from In Defense of Cats: Those Toxic Planet-Killing Pets
Great news, guys: only 150 more episodes until we start recognizing people! In the meantime, here's what you missed from week four of "The Bachelor." -Piper Weiss, Shine Staff