I just read about a 19-year-old girl who had to have 30 operations to remove cancerous moles. Why? Because she was hitting up the tanning bed for hours a day!
I know plenty of people who don't think they have to worry about cancer or wrinkles until they're older, but this story proves that's not true. And while I secretly hope for a study saying tanning is actually good for you (especially when I look down at my winter-white legs), I know that sun = skin damage, period.
But what's a pale girl or guy to do? Actually, plenty. There are tons of spray tan booths, self-tanners (like these) and amazing bronzers that make it super easy to get a safe glow. Applying them isn't totally fool-proof though, so check out these tips:
- Before you go near a self-tanner, exfoliate well (try one of these body scrubs), then moisturize dry areas (like your elbows, knees, ankles and feet) to keep them from absorbing too much tanner.
- After giving your moisturizer five to 10 minutes to soak in, apply
Blog Posts by The chicks at TotalBeauty.com
- The chicks at TotalBeauty.com | Fashion – Tue, Mar 3, 2009 7:41 PM EST
I just read about a 19-year-old girl who had to have 30 operations to remove cancerous moles. Why? Because she was hitting up the tanning bed for hours a day!Read More »from Stop the Tanning Bed Addiction! Anyone Can Get a Safe Tan with these Tips
I love, and I mean love, a good mascara (like any of these). Ergo -- yeah, I said ergo -- I hate when I waste my money on a tube that gives me flaky, smudgy or spidery lashes. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you feel the same. Ergo -- there it is again! -- you'll probably want to steer clear of the ones TotalBeauty.com users said were the worst they've tried. Unless you like raccoon eyes. Then by all means, buy away …Read More »from The 13 Worst Mascaras Are ...
No. 13: Benefit Get Bent Mascara, $19
No. 12: Dr. Hauschka Volume Mascara, $23.50
No. 11: Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Mascara, $7.49
No. 10: Smashbox Bionic Mascara, $19
No. 9: Bare Escentuals Beautifully Luminous Lashes, $24
No. 8: Nars Mascara, $23
No. 7: Revlon 3D Extreme Waterproof Mascara, $9.99
No. 6: Vincent Longo The Curl Mascara, $23
No. 5: Avon ASTONISHING LENGTHS Mascara, $10
No. 4: LORAC Lotsa Lash Mascara, $19.50
No. 3: CoverGirl Multiplying Mascara, $5.88
No. 2: Ulta Maximum Length Soft Curl Mascara, $7
This quiz told me mineral makeup would work for me, but it's no secret I didn't have the best experience. (Maybe because I used these awful mineral makeup products -- avoid!) TotalBeauty.com readers on the other hand? They freakin' love the stuff. Check out their picks for the top 18 mineral makeup products. After reading that, I'm giving 'em another shot.Read More »from The 18 Best Mineral Makeup Products
No. 18: Joppa Minerals Morning Dew Foundation, $16
No. 17: Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation, $18
No. 16: Arbonne About Face Mineral Powder Foundation, $34
No. 15: Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil, $19
No. 14: Ulta Mineral Powder Foundation, $14
No. 13: Joppa Minerals Full Coverage Foundation, $16
No. 12: Bare Escentuals i.d. bareMinerals 2-piece Powder Foundation & Brush w/SPF 15, $47
No. 11: Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup/Foundation, $24.50
No. 10: Jane Iredale PureMatte Finish Powder, $36
No. 9: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15, $35
No. 8: Philosophy The Supernatural Airbrush Canvas SPF 15, $35
Break out the cupcakes! A new study compared faces of identical twins. They found: The heavier-set twin looked several years younger. Why? Seems extra fat plumps faces and naturally fills lines.Read More »from A New Reason to Eat Cake (As If We Needed One)
But before you binge on Ho-Hos: Try these healthy, youth-ifying tips:
1) Stop all these extremely aging makeup sins, such as dark lipstick and shimmer eyeshadow (see the whole list of sins, plus photographic evidence, here).
2) Beware of bad sunscreen. (Here's a list of the best ones.) You can find your best sunscreen with this quiz.
3) Age 30+? Meet your new best friend, Retinol. Here's why.
4) Apply skin serum before your moisturizer -- it affects how well it works! Actually, here's the whole order your morning regimen should follow: Cleanser, exfoliant, toner, any prescription products, antioxidant serum, eye cream, redness relievers, moisturizer, sunscreen.
5) Pay attention to the backs of your hands; they show age easily. Use sunscreen on them, and moisturize frequently.
Last week on "The Office," the staff spent the day (and most of the episode) debating whether Hilary Swank was hot or not. Totally absurd -- but it sparked a debate at my apartment about "hot" vs. "attractive" and what those two terms even mean.
- Could you use a little hotness boost? These tips will help.
These celebrities really aren't looking too hot.