Have fun grilling with these cool gadgets.5 unusual gadgets that you may have never dreamed you needed, but once you try 'em out you may never want to grill without 'em!
1. The first step to any flavorful festivity is applying the right seasonings, and with our first find you can smear your seasoning directly onto the grill. The Mr. Bar-B-Q Onion Seasoning Grill Brush ($13) has little teeth that sink into an onion to hold it steady as you rub it all over the grates. And it's a two-for-one deal: this seasoning brush both flavors and cleans the grill!
Related: Best Outdoor Grills of 2013
2. Depending on what you're celebrating, throw your ground meat into the Mr. Bar-B-Q U.S.A Burger Press ($10.30) to form a patty in the shape of the USA! Even after grilling, the burger keeps its shape. Patriotic patties are perfect for Memorial Day, the 4th of July, or any time you're feeling especially fun and festive.
3. In order to perfectly flip your burgers, enlist some help with the Mr. Bar-B-Q Spong ($14). The Spong combines two very
Blog Posts by Good Housekeeping
Have fun grilling with these cool gadgets.5 unusual gadgets that you may have never dreamed you needed, but once you try 'em out you may never want to grill without 'em!Read More »from 5 Wacky Tools for Grilling
Here, 16 foolproof ways to look pretty on a dime.
Hydrate your hair for a bargain1. Hydrate Hair
Oils are a treat for summertime strands: They keep hair smooth, shiny, and manageable. Apply a dime-size amount throughout locks, then blow out as usual. Try Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Miracle Dry Oil ($6, drugstores). If you have fine hair prone to limpness, use the oil as a pre-shampoo treatment instead: Work a spritz through hair; let it soak in while you shave, exfoliate, etc.; and then shampoo it out. The oils will counteract any dryness or coarsening caused by hair coloring or overexposure to the sun.
2. Shave SmarterRead More »from 16 Best Drugstore Beauty Deals
De-fuzz the night before you hit the beach, pool, or park, and you'll cut the chance of skin irritation from sunscreen or mosquito spray, says David Bank, M.D., a dermatologist in Mount Kisco, NY. And pick a packable shaver: The lightweight Schick Hydro Silk Refillable Razor ($10, drugstores; available only through August) comes with a compact travel cover that shields the
Rock your sleeveless shirts this year with toned arms in one monthIt's still a little chilly in New York, but sleeveless-shirts weather will be here before you can say "bicep curl." If the thought of bare arms in the office and strappy sundresses on the weekends makes you want to hide under long sleeves, you're not alone.
Related: Best Lightweight Walking Sneakers
Upper arm lifts, which can include liposuction or brachioplasty (where loose skin is removed from the back of the arms), are on the rise, reports the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. It recently released its 2012 statistics, and arm lifts were up 3% in just one year - and more than 4,000% since 2000. Not surprising, when you consider the toned arms on red carpets and in the White House. (In fact, when asked whose arms they'd most like to have, 31% of women said Michelle Obama and 29% said Jennifer Aniston.) But for many people, a combination of diet and strength training to lose fat and tone up can get their arms in shape.
Don't know where to start? Make simple swaps toRead More »from How to Get Toned Arms in Just a Month
How do you keep food fresh longer? Air is the enemy of food. In order to keep food fresh as long as possible you want to keep it wrapped tightly in order to keep air out. Depending on the type and where you'll be storing it, an airtight container or wrap will keep food from drying out, getting soggy, developing freezer burn, absorbing odors, or becoming contaminated from raw meat or poultry. Now practically every storage container out there claims to be airtight but I can tell you from years of testing that that's not true. Here's what we've learned.
A lot depends on whether or not air can go in through the material that the container or wrap's made of, as well as whether or not it has a tight-fitting lid. Even if the air seems sucked or vacuumed out, it can still get back in if the material's porous or the cover's loose. In our tests, glass containers with tight lids are always the best at keeping air out. Tops in our latest test: Snapware TotalRead More »from How to Keep Food Fresh Longer
Break these 12 beauty rulesRules were made to be broken! Update your routine with these new and improved beauty standards.
Old rule #1: Steer clear of blue shadows.
Blue shadows get a bad rap for looking tacky. Sure they're harder to pull off than neutral shades, but it can be done - and with beautiful effect. For fairer complexions, a sheer wash of pastel blue with hints of gray can help enhance eyes, says Petra Strand, founder of Pixi cosmetics. Olive and medium skin tones can handle bejeweled-laden lids, while darker skin tones can get away with rich, vibrant pops of statement blues. Experiment with a palette, like Yves Saint Laurent Ombres 5 Lumieres 5 Colour Harmony for Eyes in 5 Riviera ($51, amazon.com), that houses a wide range, from dusty blue to navy.
If you've got a stunning pair of baby blue eyes, avoid matching the shadow to your irises. Pair a pastel with dark blue eyes and navy with lighter eyes for contrast.
Old rule #2: Wear bronzer only in summer.Read More »from 12 Beauty Rules You Should Break
While a sun-kissed glow is
Want healthy cookies? Find out the best healthy cookies.Healthy cookies? I know, it sounds like an oxymoron. And believe me, I understand your skepticism! But I went on a mission to find them, and I actually dug up some good options. The cookies listed below are made predominantly with whole grains, have only a reasonable amount of sugar, and clock in at no more than 130 calories per serving (a diet-friendly amount). Here are my picks:
Related: 50 Best Low-Calorie Snacks
1. 100% Whole Grain Fig Newtons (2 cookies)3. Barbara's Bakery Snackimals in Wheat Free Oatmeal (about 10 cookies)
2. Back to Nature Apple Cinnamon Oat Grahams (2 full sheets), Golden Honey Oat Grahams (2 full sheets), or Crispy Oatmeal Cookies (2 cookies)
4. Kashi Cookies (1 cookie) in Chocolate Almond Butter, Oatmeal Raisin Flax, or Oatmeal Dark Chocolate
5. Willamette Valley Granola Company Granola Chips (about 20 chips) in Butter Pecan, Vanilla Bean, and Honey Nut
Related: Healthy Cookies Recipes
What are your favorite healthy cookies? Let me knowRead More »from 5 of the Healthiest Cookies You Can Buy
Find great Mother's Day gifts at your local drugstore.No need to spend a bundle on a Mother's Day gift. You can get some fun, practical, and very affordable items for your mom right at the drugstore. And while you're there, pick up a few of these winners for yourself.Read More »from Mother’s Day Gifts from the Drugstore
The best in our test, Eucerin Intensive Repair ($6) will keep her hands pampered through gardening season. For the rest of her body, there's Eucerin Professional Repair Extremely Dry Skin Lotion ($7.99), a GH Seal holder.
Essie Nail Color ($8) is long lasting and you'll have a lot of fun choosing a color or perhaps two or three from over 200 shades.
Related: Mother's Day Brunch Recipes
Available in tints from light to deep, Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream SPF 30 is a multitasking tinted moisturizer that hydrates, evens out skin tone, and provides a broad-spectrum of SPF. Another BB cream that blends perfectly into most skin tones: Lumene Vitamin C+ Illuminating Anti-Age BB Cream SPF 20 ($14.99).
Thanks to an innovative brush with fine-tooth bristles, COVERGIRL LashBlast
The CM4 Q card case is a fashionable and functional phone protector.There's a gadget out there for every woman, whether she's a fashionista, artiste, athlete, or gardener. For this Mother's Day, get your mom something she's bound to love!Read More »from 9 Terrific Tech Gifts for Mother's Day
1. For the practical, yet fashion-forward: CM4 Q Card Case, $40
One of the winners of our recent smartphone case test, the CM4 Q card case is a fashionable and functional phone protector. She can use it to tote around her work ID, some cash, and credit cards along with her phone and stop schlepping around a cumbersome bag.
2. For the working mother: Amethyst Fabric Clutch, $189
If she can't give up carrying around a pocketbook, the Everpurse will give her room for her glasses, lipstick, and checkbook as well as her phone and will even charge her phone while it's docked inside (no more carrying around a charger). And since the clutch is stylish, she won't have to go home and change her bag after work for evening events! Overnight, the purse charges itself on its own charging mat. For a few dollars more, you can treat
Pork and Pears with QuinoaIt's hard to resist the nutty goodness of a whole grain packed with protein. Here, 6 delicious recipes for the ever-so-healthy quinoa.Read More »from 6 Ways to Cook Quinoa
1. Pork and Pears with Quinoa
Pear and butternut squash work together to sweeten up this hearty pork dish. Sprinkle coriander over the heart-healthy quinoa for an extra kick. Get the recipe for Pork and Pears with Quinoa.
2. Hoisin-Glazed Salmon with Quinoa
This Asian-inspired dish calls for salmon, a Chinese five-spice mixture, and quinoa for a truly unique flavor. Don't forget to top your fish off with a spoonful of savory hoisin sauce before baking. Get the recipe for Hoisin-Glazed Salmon with Quinoa.
Related: Healthy Dinner Dishes
3. Turkey with White Bean Ragu
Trade in your beef ragu for this healthier turkey alternative. An Italian classic with a twist, this recipe is packed with fiber thanks to ingredients like white beans and quinoa. Get the recipe for Turkey with White Bean Ragu.
4. Grilled Salmon with Peaches
Cooking salmon over hot coals
Kitchen tools that will make your Cinco de Mayo fiesta a hit.Cinco de Mayo is around the corner and no fiesta's complete without three beloved Mexican staples: tortillas, guacamole, and frozen margaritas! Here at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute, we tested out kitchen gadgets to help make your Cinco de Mayo muy delicioso.Read More »from Cuatro Tools You Need for Cinco De Mayo
1. You can give your guacamole some extra zest by grinding it by hand with a mortar and pestle. The IMUSA Lava Rock Molcajete ($60) is as authentic as it gets if you want to go the extra mile with your guacamole. And when you're not making guac, you can use it to grind spices and herbs as well as prepare salsa. With the Molcajete you get instructions on how to season the lava rock so that everything that's made in it has a unique taste. I'm not sure if it's what gave our guacamole delicious flavor but the rough surface of the rock made it easy to mash the ingredients and created a distinctive texture.
2. We used a recipe from a new cookbook, Muy Bueno, ($15) written by Evangelina Soza and her daughters Yvette