How to sleep better tonightYou have no idea why, but night after night you have trouble nodding off. These bedtime rituals may help you get some more shut-eye.
1. Take a bubble bath: The hot water relaxes your muscles and raises your core temperature. When you get out of the tub, you temperature will start to go down, mimicking what your body normally does to trigger melatonin production, says sleep expert Michael Breus, Ph.D. Why bubbles? "They form a layer of insulation on top, which keeps the water hot longer."
2. Pour yourself a bowl: The classic sleep Rx of cornflakes and milk has scientific-backing. The fast-acting carb in the cereal increases tryptophan levels, upping the zzz-inducing brain chemical serotonin. Milk contains melatonin, a.k.a. the sleep hormone.
3. Turn down the thermostat: It's more comfortable to sleep in a cool room. But you don't want it to be too cold, either. Experiment to find your just-right temp.
Related: 9 Reasons You Can't Sleep (and What to Do About Them)
Blog Posts by Good Housekeeping
How to sleep better tonightYou have no idea why, but night after night you have trouble nodding off. These bedtime rituals may help you get some more shut-eye.Read More »from 8 Simple Little Ways to Fall Asleep Fast
Should you take supplements?Your body responds best to vitamins and minerals found in food. But not all essential nutrients are easily absorbed, which means some of us may not be getting what we need. Determine if you need to add to your diet with the latest research on nine popular vitamins and supplements.Read More »from The Truth Behind 9 Popular Vitamin Supplements
Vitamin E is an antioxidant, a substance that protects against the effects of free radicals - cell-damaging molecules that can play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases. Vitamin E also boosts your immune system. However, you may not need to add it as a supplement, warns Andrea N. Giancoli, RD, spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. "Most people get enough vitamin E from the foods they eat," say Giancoli. "Good sources are vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, and leafy greens. Vitamin E is also added to foods like cereals as a natural preservative." Another reason to stick with food sources: Vitamin E supplements may be harmful for people who take blood thinners and other
CarrotsIt's that time of year...when we look at what was hot in the last 12 months and will be in the dozen to come. After reviewing my list of 10 top predictions in food for 2012, I'm happy to say, I went 10 for 10. Every single prophecy from pickles to slow cooking came true. What should you expect to be seeing on menus, in supermarkets, and trying at home in 2013? Here's what I'm seeing in my crystal ball.
Carrots Move over kale and Brussels sprouts. Some of New York City's trendiest and priciest restaurants are already giving carrots pride of place on their menus. At the uber chic, super-expensive, four-star Eleven Madison Park, carrot tartare is prepared to order tableside. Empellón Cocina on the hip lower east side serves roasted carrots with mole poblano and yogurt to die for. Also up and coming: cauliflower and parsnips!
Juice, Juicing, and Juicers They're back and more popular than ever! While here at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute, we believe in filling up onRead More »from 10 Top Food Trends for 2013
Set yourself up for diet successNever count on just your willpower to stick to a nutritious meal plan. Rather than beat yourself up for occasional slip-ups (or abandon the diet all together) use these clever ideas to set yourself up for diet success.Read More »from 8 Ways to Cheat-proof Your Diet
1. Plan Ahead
Failing to plan can easily lead to diet downfalls: unhealthy menu selections or the lack of nutritious options when you're in a rush. Prioritize your diet and make meal-planning part of your routine, not a chore, says Manuel Villacorta, RD and author of Eating Free. "Schedule a date with your supermarket once a week, followed by a date with your kitchen, where you can pre-make a lot of healthy foods," he says. Boil rice and quinoa, cook beans, whip up a soup or stew, grill chicken, and roast veggies, so you will have basics ready to warm up or pack for lunch.
If you know you're going to dine out, read the menu and pick a diet-friendly option before you go. Watch out for terms like braised or pan-fried, ask for any sauces on the side and beware of salads
Ramp up your beauty regimen Just follow these simple steps to look and feel (even more!) gorgeous in the new year.
1. Apply sunscreen each day.
In rain or shine, harmful ultraviolet rays are present throughout the entire year, so cover up if you want to avoid premature wrinkles, dark spots, and skin cancer. "Everyone should wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day," says Jeannette Graf, MD, New York dermatologist.There are two types of sunscreens: chemical and physical. Both are equally effective. Choosing which formula "is just a matter of preference," says Graf. Chemical blockers contain ingredients such as helioplex or avobenzone. They are effective 20 minutes after application, are colorless, and have a slightly watery texture. Physical blockers contain titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. They are immediately effective after application, have a white tint, and a thicker texture.
2. Smooth on eye cream daily.
Skin around the eyes tends to be delicate and dry, making the area susceptible to early aging. ToRead More »from 9 Beauty Resolutions You Should Make
Strategies to strengthen your resolve1. Set realistic goals. One of the main reasons people struggle to keep resolutions? Their goals aren't practical. "As a result, you get frustrated, and you're more likely to quit," says Amie Hoff, personal trainer in New York City and founder of FitKit.com, portable workout kits. Take weight loss for instance. A Franklin Covey survey found that losing weight is the resolution often abandoned first (by 31 percent of those who made it). Most people aim too high and consequently bail when they don't see immediate success. Set realistic goals and break them down between long- and short-term. "Setting several smaller goals will be easier to attain, and with each new success, you'll become more motivated," Hoff says.Read More »from How to Make Your New Year's Resolution Stick
2. Create a plan for success. Now that you have your goals in place, design an action plan. "Without one, you'll have no idea where you're starting from, going to, how you'll get there, or worse yet, where you'll end up," says Hoff. Describe your mission as well as specifics on
Peppermint hot chocolateHere's a little something to snuggle up with during the chilly winter months: Hot cocoa! It's easy to turn instant hot chocolate mix into an extra-special treat the whole family can enjoy (just reserve the bourbon-pecan cocoa for the adult-crowd only!). Try one of these 11 simple mix-ins that deliver loads of flavor in no time at all…
1. Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Spread marshmallow fluff on the rim of a mug; dip in crushed candy canes. Pour instant hot chocolate into the prepared mug and stir in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
2. Mexican Hot Chocolate: Stir a generous pinch each ground cinnamon and cayenne pepper into 1 mug instant hot chocolate. Garnish with cinnamon stick.
Related: Cooking Disasters, Solved!
3. Malted Milk Hot Chocolate: Stir malted milk powder into 1 mug instant hot chocolate. Garnish with crushed Whoppers (optional).
Orange hot chocolate4. Orange Hot Chocolate: Stir a splash of orange water or orange extract into 1 mug instant hot chocolate (optional). GarnishRead More »from 11 Ways to Spice Up Hot Chocolate Mix
Doritos Loco TacoRestaurant dining (or, more generally, paying for food someone else cooked) always provides a fascinating glimpse into what's hot on the culinary landscape. Here's what popped up on our radar this year in 2012:
- Forget Wine, Pass the Beer: Wine bars cooled off and gastropubs were the place to spend a relaxed night out with friends in 2012. No longer relegated to being the star attraction at bars and dives, craft beers are getting their turn on the big stage with casual eateries focusing on cooking fantastic food to go with fantastic beer. From Marc Vetri's Alla Spina (Italian for "on tap") in Philadelphia to Southern Pacific Brewing in San Francisco and Turner's Yard in Pembroke, MA., diners have discovered the sophisticated complexities of beer and how delicious it can be with high quality food.
- Post-Modern Asian Fusion: Does the term, "Asian Fusion" conjure up images of almost every single trendy eatery you frequented in the late 90s? Well, forget what you think
Nike+ FuelBandTechnology moves so quickly it's hard to keep up. These top 7 trends were among the most noticeable of 2012.
- Fitness Tech The Nike+ FuelBand, Fitbit, and Jawbone UP are more than just pedometers, they're a popular way to track workouts, sleep, diet, and most importantly, provide motivation to stay healthy. They're fun conversation starters and come with apps rich in data and trends.
- Connected Cars If you haven't stepped foot in a new car in the past few years, you'll be amazed. Hands-free voice calling, blind spot monitoring, rear view cameras, iPod controls, and heads-up displays are becoming commonplace. The plethora of controls are beginning to make the driver seat look like a jet cockpit.
Related: Great Apps to Organize Your LifeIs this as good as it gets?
- The Smartphone Plateau? Smartphones have reached a point of relative perfection. It's becoming harder and harder to pick favorites among the best smartphones. They all have brilliant screens, intuitive designs, minimal profiles, and
Setting up the bar is an important part of getting ready for the holidays. Here, 5 products to make serving drinks easier and leave you with time to enjoy the festivities.
The Bar10der1. Stock up your bar and get creative with the Bar10der ($50, amazon.com), kind of a Swiss Army knife for the mixologist. In one nifty tool you get a muddler, reamer, channel knife (for cutting those pretty little strips of citrus peel), jigger, zester, knife, stirrer, strainer, corkscrew, and bottle opener. Try it out on our Cranberry Juleps.
VacuVin2. Another multitasker: The Vacu Vin Cocktail Shaker ($20, amazon.com). With measuring lines and a built-in strainer this great gadget gets your cocktail straight from concept to glass with no spills.
Related: Lucky Foods to Eat on New Year's Day
Ravi Instant Wine Refresher3. Is it strictly wine at your new years fête? Stop worrying about whether or not you have room in the fridge to chill the Chardonnay or even cool down the Pinot. Keep the Ravi Instant Wine Refresher ($40, amazon.com)Read More »from 5 Great Tools for New Year's Eve Party Drinks