Small Ways to Improve Your LifeFeeling stuck in a rut? You don't need to big changes to make your life better. Make these small, mindful moves to improve your mental and emotional well-being in a big way.
1. Make a Date With a Friend
Whenever you're up against a lengthy to-do list, remember this: Time with pals is the last thing you should cut. The more you hang out with friends, says a recent Dutch study, the easier it is to cope with stress. Social ties in general help, but it's face time that matters most, says study coauthor Mariska van der Horst. "Talking about your stress can help you get a grip on it," she says. "And good friends have a way of making you feel that things will work out."
Related: Your 7 Worst Habits and How to Break Them
2. Go Play (Outdoors and In!)
"Every married couple needs an outdoor game, like tennis, and an indoor game, like gin." Julia Bator and her husband follow this tip -- learned from her Quaker grandparents, married 72 years -- with regular rounds of golf and cribbage. "It's our
Blog Posts by Good Housekeeping
- Good Housekeeping | Healthy Living – Mon, Aug 26, 2013 11:20 AM EDT
Small Ways to Improve Your LifeFeeling stuck in a rut? You don't need to big changes to make your life better. Make these small, mindful moves to improve your mental and emotional well-being in a big way.Read More »from 9 Little Things You Can Do to Make Your Life Better Right Now
Don't jam the dishwasher!housThe cleaning habits you've been using for years may not be as efficient as you'd think. Correct these common mistakes and get a better clean with our tips, plus advice from Carolyn Forté, Director of the GHRI Home Appliances and Cleaning Products Department.Read More »from 6 Things You've Been Cleaning Wrong
Related: 8 Cleaners That Need Cleaning
1. Dishes, glasses, and utensils
Don't fall into the habit of jamming items in the dishwasher like in a game of Tetris. Utensils nested together won't get an even washing, so alternate placing spoons handles up and down, but keep forks tines up for best cleaning. In addition, make sure not to mix silver and stainless steel flatware, as the silver could get pitted if they touch. Never stack items, either, because the water spray won't be able to reach the dishes on top. Place extra-dirty items on the bottom rack facing the center so they're near the spray arm. And if you're using a detergent pod, place it in the dispenser - if tossed in, it'll dissolve too quickly.
2. Shower curtain
Best Pickled Fruits and VeggiesSavor the flavor of your favorite fruits and vegetables long after the harvest season has passed. All you need is a surplus of vinegar and a few canning jars to become a pickling pro. Get started with one of these unexpected pickles!Read More »from 20 Surprising Things You Can Pickle
Related: Pickling 101: A Beginner's Guide
For several millennia, we've relied on pickling as a means of food preservation and storage. Since then, pickling has evolved into a culinary trend and art form that extends well beyond the standard cucumber. You can pickle almost any fruit or veggie to create briny snacks, colorful relishes, and tasty recipe garnishes. So round up those Ball jars, pick your produce, and start pickling.
Related: 9 Melon Recipes You've Got to Try
1. Watermelon: Pickle leftover watermelon rinds to create a sweet yet savory condiment that pairs well with pan-seared pork chops.
2. Pears: Try these tangy, pickled pears in an arugula salad or enjoy them as a stand-alone snack.
3. Figs: Pickled figs make for a delectable
6 Multitasking Beauty ProductsOut of an essential beauty product? While it may not be in their job description, many products can be used in a slightly different way to take the place of something else. Here, 6 smart swaps to try the next time you find yourself in a beauty bind.Read More »from 6 Smart Beauty Swaps that Save You Big!
1. Conditioner instead of shaving cream
If you reach for the shaving cream can only to find it empty, grab another shower staple: hair conditioner. It offers the same slip-and-glide surface, which is key to helping prevent nicks and cuts. Apply a thin coat over the appropriate areas.
Related: Best Beauty Picks Under $10
2. Lipstick instead of blush
When you're low on cheek color (or just don't have it with you), lipstick can do double duty, posing as cream blush. Dab a little bit onto fingers, then rub onto the apples of your cheeks, blending well. Start with a small amount, because it's easier to add more than to remove. It may go without saying, but this swap is best reserved for pink and red hues.
3. Mascara instead of eyeliner
The Only Banana Bread Recipe You NeedSweet, moist banana bread makes a delicious quick breakfast, snack, or healthy dessert.Read More »from The Moistest Banana Bread Ever
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
Prep Time: 15 min
Oven Temp: 350
Related: Luscious, Low-Calorie Summer Desserts
- 2 cup(s) white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup(s) (from 4 medium bananas) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
Related: 15 Quick Breakfasts to Get You Going!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
2. In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In large bowl, with mixer on medium-high speed, beat sugar, egg whites, and egg until almost doubled in volume. On medium speed, beat in bananas,
3 Apps You Need to DownloadThese handy smartphone apps will help you snag the best deal every time.Read More »from 3 Free Apps that Will Save You Hundreds
1. Amazon Price Check
You never again have to question whether you've paid the lowest price. Amazon Price Check lets you search for product prices in an extensive database of brick and mortar stores and online retailers. Though less effective, you can also look up a product by scanning a barcode, snapping a photo, or saying its name. If you happen to stumble upon a better deal, share it with the app to improve its listings.
Platforms: iOs, Android
Related: 13 Cases That Do More Than Just Protect Your Smartphone
Thanks to Hipmunk, you can stop chasing cheap airfare. The travel-planning app aggregates flight and hotel options from most major companies (Southwest Airlines not included). Sort airfare by price, number of stops, departure and arrival times, or all of the above. Filter hotels, including Airbnb and HomeAway, based on price, stars, and/or reviews. We like the color-coded timetables and
- Good Housekeeping | Shine Food – Wed, Aug 21, 2013 11:46 AM EDT
Mac 'n' CheeseEveryone loves a big bowl of pasta coated in a creamy, cheesy sauce. Adding frozen spinach and peas is a quick way to boost this comforting dish's nutrient value.Read More »from Creamy Mac ‘n’ Cheese with an Added Nutritional Boost
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: 25 min
Related: Cozy Minus the Calories! Healthy Comfort Food
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cup(s) low-fat (1-percent) milk
- 1 clove(s) garlic, lightly crushed
- 12 ounce(s) cavatappi, or corkscrew pasta
- 12 ounce(s) reduced-fat (2-percent) American cheese, chopped
- 1 ounce(s) (about 1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 ounce(s) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 10 ounce(s) frozen peas, thawed
Related: 14 Delicious Mac 'n' Cheese Recipes
1. Heat covered 5-quart saucepot of water to boiling on high.
2. Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepot, whisk cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add garlic and slowly whisk in remaining milk. Heat to boiling on medium-high, whisking
- Good Housekeeping | Beauty – Tue, Aug 20, 2013 12:29 PM EDT
Why you should learn more about retinol.How much do you know about retinol, the over-the-counter vitamin A derivative finding its way into a myriad of skin-care products? Here, the latest on how it can help your skin.Read More »from 5 Things You Didn't Know About Retinol…But Should!
1. Is retinol a wrinkle fighter?
Yes. But it's more than that. It and other retinoids stimulate the production of collagen and decrease its breakdown, to minimize and prevent fine lines. Retinol can also help lighten dark spots by speeding up the rate of cell turnover so skin can shed its top layer of excess pigment. And that increased rate can help unclog pores, making them appear smaller.
Related: Winners of the 2013 Anti-Aging Awards!
2. Since the prescription-strength version is more effective, shouldn't I use that instead?
Not necessarily. Prescription-only retinoic acid is stronger and can give you better results than retinol, but it can be more irritating. Some dermatologists recommend starting with retinol to let your skin acclimate to the ingredient. Plus, retinols are available at a fraction of the
- Good Housekeeping | Shine Food – Tue, Aug 20, 2013 12:21 PM EDT
Blonde BombshellsBlonde Bombshells can be made with the baking staples you have on hand: nuts, raisins, and more.Read More »from Move Over Brownies! Make These Easy (Crowd-Pleasing) Blondies Instead
Yields: 2 dozen
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Oven Temp: 350
Related: 12 Yummy Peanut Butter Dessert Recipes
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 3/4 cup(s) butter or margarine
- 1 package(s) (1 pound) dark or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cup(s) mixed add-ins such as coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts, dried cherries or dried cranberries, chocolate chips, toffee chips, and/or sweetened flaked coconut
Related: The Secret to Perfect Brownies
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan. On waxed paper, combine flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt.
2. In 3- to 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs; stir until well mixed. Stir in flour mixture and
Speak your hairstylist's language!Not knowing the language hairstylists speak can result in stressful trips to the salon, not to mention terrible haircuts. To help you get the best cut ever, we've deciphered salon jargon. Commit these terms to memory and be as specific as possible when communicating with your stylist.Read More »from 10 Words Every Hairstylist Wants You to Know
Every cut falls under three categories: layered, one-length, or a combination of both, says celebrity hairstylist Dwayne Ross. Layered locks help lessen density and create movement. One-length cuts, on the other hand, add weight. To avoid confusion and hair mishaps, double-check with your stylist. Regardless of what terminology the stylist is using, Ross recommends always asking, "Will this technique create layers or remove them?"
Related: 10 Cuts to Score the Best Hair Ever
This is a cutting technique where hair is lifted and cut over the head to create extra body and volume, says Nick Penna Jr., owner and lead stylist of SalonCapri. Essentially, the end result is a ton of