Get a Faster Metabolism in a DayFollow this simple plan to speed up your metabolism in just 16 hours. Don't forget to repeat the next day!
Enjoy your coffee or tea. Women who consume caffeine before working out stay at it longer and enjoy it.
Head to the gym before you eat. In British research, exercisers who held off on breakfast burned almost 20% more body fat during their workouts. more, says a new study that measured treadmill activity.
Related: 11 Simple Ways to Rev Your Metabolism
Do weights, then cardio within 20 minutes. That's the formula for the most fat-burning, one study found. Cardio done later (two hours, in the study) doesn't have the same payoff.
Have a protein breakfast. Aim for 35 grams. Try Greek yogurt (18 g per serving); two turkey sausage links with toast (13 g); and 14 walnut halves (4 g).
Related: The One Easiest Way to Peel Off Pounds
Take a stroll. Whether to the post office or around the company parking lot, a
Blog Posts by Good Housekeeping
Get a Faster Metabolism in a DayFollow this simple plan to speed up your metabolism in just 16 hours. Don't forget to repeat the next day!Read More »from Boost Your Metabolism in One Day (Really!)
These easy-to-follow guidelines will give you glowing skin and shiny hair from week to week.These easy-to-follow guidelines will give you glowing skin and shiny hair from week to week. Just remember to make time to actually do them!Read More »from 3 Things Missing from Your Beauty Routine
Related: 4 Beauty Rules You Break Every Day
1. Wash makeup brushes.
It seems obvious, and yet so many of us overlook cleaning the very tools we use on our face on a daily basis. Using clean makeup brushes can improve skin health, help makeup go on smoothly, and even extend the brushes' lifespan to up to a decade.
New York makeup artist Andie Markoe-Byrne shares her tips on how to care for her brushes: Squeeze a drop of liquid antibacterial soap in your palm. Wet the brush and swirl it around the soap. Next, run the bristles under warm water until it runs clear. Gently ring out the bristles and lay brush flat. Never stand it up in a cup to dry - the water will drip down and loosen the glue that adheres the bristles to the handle, cutting its lifespan in half. If you notice that your brush has lost its shape, the bristles are falling out, or the
Anti-Aging Beauty ProductsSave money on anti-aging products without sacrificing your skincare routine with these simple tips.
Skip pricey options loaded with fancy ingredients: Face wash doesn't stay on skin long enough to have much benefit. Your best bet is a basic non-soap cleanser - it's budget-friendly and gentler on skin.
Related: How To Find a True Beauty Bargain Online
This type of lotion was originally created to help balance skin's pH after the use of harsh cleanser. But there's no need for it when you use a gentle face wash. Sure, it will remove excess oil if you're especially greasy, but don't expect a big anti-aging boost.
3. Neck Cream
Your anti-aging routine should extend below your chin, but most neck creams are just thick moisturizers with ingredients like peptides that can usually be found in a night cream for the face - just use that on your neck, too.
- By Nina Judar and Melanie Rud
More from Good Housekeeping:Read More »from 3 Ways to Save on Anti-Aging Products
Chocolate Layer CakeNothing says "celebration" like frosted chocolate layers-which may be the reason this cake has reappeared in Good Housekeeping countless times since 1927 (including a 1984 version made with mayo!). To contemporize this classic, we ramped up the richness: The frosting's flavor is more intensely chocolatey, thanks to a one-two combo of cocoa powder and semisweet chocolate.Read More »from The Best Chocolate Layer Cake You'll Ever Make
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
Related: 20 Irresistible Chocolate Desserts
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 cup(s) (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup(s) boiling water
- 1 cup(s) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoon(s) confectioners' sugar
Bug BitesProtect yourself from critters like bees, wasps, ticks, spiders, and bedbugs. And learn what to do when a skin-piercing bug attacks.
1. Clothes and perfume matter
"If you make yourself smell like a flower, the bees will come to you," says Grayson Brown, PhD, director of the public health entomology laboratory at the University of Kentucky and past president of the Entomological Society of America. He also recommends wearing white when spending time outdoors because insects have a hard time seeing that color, he says. (Think of beekeeper suits.) Another reason to go light: You can spot what lands on you, adds Rosmarie Kelly, PhD, a public health entomologist at the Georgia Department of Public Health.
2. All spiders are venomous...Read More »from 12 Things You Didn't Know About Bug Bites
But they're unlikely to severely harm humans unless you're allergic. "Most of them can't produce enough venom, or their jaws are not strong enough to pierce human skin," says Brown. As long as a spider doesn't feel vulnerable, it won't want to
- Good Housekeeping | Shine Food – Wed, Aug 14, 2013 11:48 AM EDT
Greek-Style Stuffed Zucchini with TomatoesThis easy and healthy dinner for two is ready fast, in just over 30 minutes. Season lean ground beef with Greek spices, and use it to stuff zucchini halves. Zucchini is best and most abundant in late spring and summer.Read More »from The Ultimate Zucchini Recipe (And No It's Not Zucchini Bread)
Yields: 2 main-dish servings
Total Time: 33 min
Prep Time: 22 min
Related: 14 Delicious Zucchini Recipes
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/2 cup(s) bulgur
- 2 large (8 to 10 ounces each) zucchini
- 3 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1 medium (6 to 8 ounces) oinion, finely chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound(s) 90% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 pint(s) grape tomatoes
Related: Quick and Easy Dinner Recipes for Summer
1. Arrange oven rack 6 inches from broiler heat source. Preheat broiler. Line 18 inch
Boozy FruitDig into happy hour tonight! Booze-soaked fruit is the perfect after-hours treat for unwinding with friends or (grownup) family and it couldn't be easier to pull together. Our 3 favorite boozy fruit recipes can be made 1 hour ahead for an instant party...or up to 1 day ahead if you'd like to pack 'em up for a hot day at the beach or park. Grab a pack of party toothpicks if you have time, like the Jewel Tone Puff Picks from Party City, or make your own like we did for the Spiced Rum-Soaked Pineapple recipe below. Either way, these adults-only snacks are dripping with retro charm.
1. Tequila-soaked watermelon with basil and salt
Serves: 10 to 12Ingredients:
- 1 watermelon, sliced into wedges
- 4 to 5 cups good-quality tequila
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves
1. Arrange the watermelon in shallow baking dishes. Pour tequila over watermelon, cover and chill, turning once, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
2. Meanwhile, pulse the salt and basilRead More »from Alcohol-Infused Fruit, 3 Ways
With melt-in-your mouth filling that blends low-fat vanilla ice cream and mango sorbet, this tempting tart recalls the straight-from-childhood taste of a Creamsicle. The fast, fuss-free topping: a no-cook combo of nutritious nectarines, plums, and raspberries.Read More »from Love Creamsicles? Try This Frozen Fruit Tart
Total Time: 50 min
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Oven Temp: 350 degrees
Related: 10 Summertime Strawberry Recipes
- 8 (5" by 2 1/2" each) graham crackers
- 2 tablespoon(s) whole natural almonds
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) honey
- 2 teaspoon(s) water
- 1 1/2 cup(s) light vanilla ice cream, such as slow or double-churned
- 1 1/2 cup(s) mango or passion fruit sorbet
- 3 ripe nectarines, each pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 ripe plums, each pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup(s) raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare crust: In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse graham crackers until fine crumbs form. Add whole
AveenoHope in a jar? Not our Anti-Aging Award winners! They're proven workhorses - the creams of the crop from our nearly yearlong study involving almost 1,000 volunteers, 2,000 questionnaires, and 25,000-plus lab measurements. Here, 3 winners that won't break the bank.
1. A real deal, Aveeno Positively Ageless Skin Strengthening Body Cream ($10 for 7.3 oz.) gave our first-place finisher a run for its money, tying with it in lab tests. At home, women raved about its soft scent and nongreasy feel. "I liked the smell, the way it absorbed, and how soft it kept my skin," shared a panelist. While testers rated its anti-aging effect as only fair, one noted, "The skin on the upper part of my torso has become firmer and younger-looking."
To cut costs, use an anti-aging lotion on your biggest area of concern (arms, legs, or chest) and a plain moisturizer for areas that are simply dry.
Related: Stamp Out Shine - For Good
2. Trumping the competition for facial moisturizer with SPF 30,Read More »from This Body Lotion is Best $10 You'll Spend
Take your finger off the controls! You may not be getting the best performance out of your blender, if you're not following these insider tips. Whether you're whipping up a healthy smoothie or an indulgent summer cocktail, our top advice will help you get better results, save on cleanup time, and prolong the life of your appliance.Read More »from 6 Mistakes You Make Using Your Blender
Related: 7 New Ways to Use Your Blender
Mistake #1: Pouring liquids in last
Place liquid ingredients in the jar first, followed by the rest of the ingredients. The vortex created by blending the liquids will pull the solids down, making sure you get even blending.
Mistake #2: Leaving the lid on when blending hot liquids
When blending a hot mixture, remove the filler cap from the cover to reduce steam buildup and avoid spurting.
Mistake #3: Over-chopping
For best results when chopping, use the Pulse feature to prevent over processing.
Related: The Best Blenders of 2013
Mistake #4: Neglecting to stir
For better results, or if blender has