Tips for Buying HeadphonesThere's such a vast selection of headphones out there that picking the perfect pair can be a daunting task. Before you go shopping, here are two questions to ask yourself and our advice for answering them.
1. What type should I buy?
Earbuds, in-ears, and canalbuds: As they're similar in size and shape, I've grouped these 3 categories together. Earbuds (which come packed with mp3 players) rest on your outer ear; in-ears need to be inserted into the ear canal; canalbuds are a hybrid that rest just inside the ear canal as opposed to being wedged all the way in.
Related: 6 Listener-Friendly Headphones
- Very compact and lightweight
- Tight seal helps isolate external noise (especially true of in-ear headphones)
- Little interference with hair, glasses, earrings, etc
- Sound quality's not as good as from full-size models
- They can be hard to get a tight and/or comfortable fit
- Can fall out of the ear more readily
Read More »from How to Pick Out Perfect Headphones