Our hearts go out to all our family members, friends, colleagues, and readers who are facing the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. If you're among the many experiencing a power outage please be careful to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from portable generators, fire from candles, and electrical shock from downed power lines.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA), and US Fire Administration (USFA) are warning that you should never use portable generators indoors, in basements, garages, or close to a home, even if doors and windows are open. The exhaust from generators contains high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) that are in fact greater than that of multiple cars running in a garage and can quickly incapacitate and kill. Remember that carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and can kill in mere minutes. Also be sure that any electrical cables you use with a generator are free of damage and labeled safe for outdoor